Thread: Rowing frame on a zodiak

Default Rowing frame on a zodiak

Has anyone put a rowing frame on a inflatable sport boat and floated moving waters? I understand about the transom and or the keel hanging down or hanging up on submerged items. What are your thoughts?

George

I use whitewater oars on my Jet Ranger. We run up river and drift back. Alaska Series Rafts in Anchorage sells them. He also sells the mount, I would think that the oar mount could be mounted on any inflatable. Jim is a great guy, give him a call.
    http://www.alaskaseries.com/

Steve

Default Interesting topic

Steve is correct Jim does have a neat way of mounting a oar stand onto a standard type boat however it is PVC. If you have a PVC boat get wit Jim if your looking to save some weight.

If you have a West Marine or Zodiac and it is Hypolon his system may not attach well so you might wish to look at framing options.

In that case I would pick Tracy's mind at AR&K. Simple take down frame couple of options I know he has made. Might give you a decent idea how to make one your-self if in fact you come to that option.

Two Choices Life is grand eh!

Best of luck this Season George I hope you book up full.

Tight Lines.

Moose-O

Default off topic -

but still inflatable....

Can you get the parts to mount one of the fancy seats to hypalon? Trying to figure out good seat mounting......

Default NRS Longhorn frame

George,

You might have a look at the NRS Longhorn frame. It's a real simple setup that would do the job. You'll have to attach some D-rings to the boat, so you have a place to strap down the frame. Four D-rings should do the job.

I don't generally recommend a sportboat for moving water because of the transom damage issues you mentioned. But it sounds like you are aware of that and have thought it through.

Take care,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks guys,

Funny, growing up in bush Alaska and having to create something for what you have access to has become a way of life. Living in the valley where I have access to almost everything I can't stop sceaming and bush engineering stuff. While being a guide I understand good equipment and how it will/can make or break a trip, here in the valley I still can't get out of mindset of trying to do things myself rather than throwing money at it. These skills have served me well in the field and in minor emergency situations and have also provided a foundation for common sense dealing for my daughter. Anyway guys, thanks for the advise and responces, I love how you-all don't withhold sharing...

Float on,

George

Default Nostalgic Sportboat Frame

I like frame and oar stands on inflatables -- including sportboats... my sportboats are equipped with frame set-ups that are strong, lasting, versatile, and secure cargo better than alternatives.

There are different needs with regards to row stations and stands... well worth your time to see or get a feel for several designs for the variety of applications.

Functional frame-less stands can be crafted of metal or whatever (saddling-style) or molded rubber & plastic accessories to even molded parts w/ pipe/fittings.

A notable new addition is very durable/simple/quiet UMHW w/ fabrication for rubber and plastic inflatables.

As Mike suggested, 'the Longhorn' type frame (or the many variations on same components) will most often be the better way to go. It simply covers more bases in the long run, stronger, more stable, and lasts longer w/ a U.S. pat. lifetime warranty on fittings+stands. Easy to make yourself with inner or outer diameter fittings and pipe -- then it's simple to add more like crossbars for bays as needed. Detail of adding 4 D-Rings is quite important... You do not want to cam-strap to a molded handle.

For nostalgia --- I've included a photo of my Dad rowing an Avon Sportboat while famous wilderness guide Sep Weber gets the outboard situated at the transom on a Brooks Range Nigu/Colville float trip some 25 years ago...

Cool part is Goo Vogt (Geaux here on forum) built frame 30+ years ago.

It was the same frame that made first raft decent on Upper Sheep Creek running tandem with 10.5' "cataraft" .

...now lives on rowing up in Denali atop a 13' WildCat. Pretty darn versatile set-up eh?
    Attached Images Attached Images