Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me build my first jet jon

Default Help me build my first jet jon

Hi

I found this forum after a lot of internet research into jet jons for a boat I would like to own this year. It's not easy finding solid info that everyone agrees is correct. I was hoping you guys could help me out.

Requirements: Run two people and fishing/hunting gear for medium sized rocky rivers.

Up till now I have only owned regular 12-14 foot jons and canoes. I have never owned a jet outboard. The rivers I fish are tackled by fisherman with canoes/kayaks, rafts, and 18' jet boats but the differing sections mean no one single boat can do all sections of the rivers. I think a small jet would be the best compromise boat to be able to fish the most amount of river miles except for some of the more intense kayak/raft spots. I don't want to go any larger than the 40/30--14/15 foot boat as there will be times when I will need to get out of the boat and try and walk it up or down small drops in the river with a rope tied to me as I have to do now with a canoe during times of summer low water.

I "think" I want something between a 14/48 up to a 15/52 Alweld jet tunnel hull boat to mate with the Yamaha 40/30 factory jet. I can't figure out from my reading what is more important to keep two guys up on plane---a foot longer boat or a 4" wider boat----all things equal. There seems to be the combinations of 14/48, 14/52, 15/48, and 15/52 that would be rated to use the 40/30 Yamaha. I want the Coast Guard hull rating to match the motor. I want the one hull of the four that is the the most likey to get on step the best and stay up with two guys and gear. I will have an electric foot controlled trolling motor on the bow with one 12-volt battery also and I would guess about 5 gallons of fuel. Also will have a cooler and average amount of rods/tackle.

I'll be using the boat like a bass boat fishing only it will be on rocky medium sized rivers with pretty good current and several class I rapids spaced out in a five mile float trip. I would likely run up and then float back using the trolling motor to fish the good spots for smallies and musky Will also use for duck hunting and deer transport sometimes as well.

I'd like two pedestal seat bases and maybe a center seat for the passenger to sit during outboard runs. I know I'll have other questions about options, but first I think I need to settle on which hull is the most likely to work with the 40/30 outboard. I have read several times in my research that the 14/48 with the 30/25 Mercury jet just does not work well once you put the gear in the boat for the second man hence my reason to want to get the lightest boat rated for a 40 HP.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

G3 16/52 wof with a 35/50 yamaha jet that would. Or a wooly Alaskan II with 90 jet

why are you limiting yourself to the 30/40??

Quote Originally Posted by blue duck View Post
    why are you limiting yourself to the 30/40??

Cost....and it would suit better on the smaller flows. I'll need to launch at some pretty bad spots too. I'll have to be able to muscle the boat thru several small rapids by dragging every now and then. I want to be able to go where the big boys can't, but the canoe guys need to paddle too far. I also have a small garage to store it. Just don't want or need a large boat. A regular old 14/36 jon would work except there is no jet that will work with and haul two men and gear. I just want to go up as little as possible and know that it will come up and stay up with two guys and gear...nothing more. Apparently from a lot of reading a 14/48 with a 30/35 Merc will not do the job reliably for me unless I pack real light....lighter than would suit my needs. My runs will never be more than 10 miles and most only five.

Check out some of these videos Sorry I stoled your thunder Toshiro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq7u2ohjCek&feature=fvsr

Quote Originally Posted by dimecovers3 View Post
    I want to be able to go where the big boys can't,

I have a Yamaha 40/30 on a Alweld 1452 and it does a fine job with two guys and gear. If I was to step up to a 15' boat I would go with a 50/35 Honda but they are big bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumm View Post
    I have a Yamaha 40/30 on a Alweld 1452 and it does a fine job with two guys and gear. If I was to step up to a 15' boat I would go with a 50/35 Honda but they are big bucks.

I need to know more about your rig Sounds sweet.................

What made you pick the 1452 over the 1448 and the fifteens? You suggest that going to a 15 would be better if I went with more HP.................see that's what I don't get.........if the hull weight is pretty much the same........I thought the extra foot made it easier to get up and stay up........

The bigger Honda is out. I'd likely go with one of these if momma would let me http://www.excelboats.net/RiverJet.html:)

Third time to try this link http://www.excelboats.net/RiverJet.html

maybe I got the right one and this one works

that's what I don't get.........if the hull weight is pretty much the same..
    15' weighs more than 14'. The extra foot may help a little but weight is a MAJOR factor when dealing with small hp jets. I can tell a difference in performance with as little as five gallons of extra gas.

Do a search for alweld tunnel and for yamaha 40/30 and you will find a couple of threads with the specs of my boat. I am on my iPod right now so it would be very hard for me to link the threads.

Some of the areas I run the jet has issues with picking up sand and rocks or getting clogged with weeds. Check one of these out. May work well for you.

http://www.prodriveoutboards.com/

http://www.mudbuddy.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Crumm View Post
    15' weighs more than 14'. The extra foot may help a little but weight is a MAJOR factor when dealing with small hp jets. I can tell a difference in performance with as little as five gallons of extra gas.

Do a search for alweld tunnel and for yamaha 40/30 and you will find a couple of threads with the specs of my boat. I am on my iPod right now so it would be very hard for me to link the threads.

thanks.............. I'll look it up.......the five gallons of gas thing is surprising

Quote Originally Posted by Diashan View Post
    Some of the areas I run the jet has issues with picking up sand and rocks or getting clogged with weeds. Check one of these out. May work well for you.

http://www.prodriveoutboards.com/

http://www.mudbuddy.com/

Those are cool, but don't think they would mix well with the rock gardens I have to run through.

1448 330 lbs
    1548 340 llbs

1452 340 lbs
    1552 355 lbs

this site gives other weights and I now see for the first time that these are only suggested outboard max sizes http://www.krollmarine.com/Flat.html

Crumm, is your boat coast guard rated?

these weights are from their website but they don't look correct as you say. I would think the extra 4" would be another 40 pounds easy

weights are for the square bow...................which gives more up front fishing room.....is it flat bottom or does it have 3-6 degrees dead rise? Do you know what the mod V hull has?

.the five gallons of gas thing is surprising
    my previous boat was a 21' jetcraft extreme shallow which would haul everything including the kitchen sink. I have really had to learn how to pack much lighter as every pound makes a difference in a small boat. I even went to a lightweight oddysee battery which shed over 30 pounds.

1452 340 lbs
    1552 355 lbs

these weights are from their website but they don't look correct as you say.
    those weights look correct to me. If I recal a 1452 alweld is 15 pounds lighter than a 1552. 15 pounds is 15 pounds and I can fit 4x more stuff in my 1452 than I can haul. 16' hulls are much more popular than the 14' and 15' but I wanted lighter and more manuverable.

Yes the Alweld flatbottoms are Coast Guard rated. I forget what the rating is but there is a big yellow sticker in the back.

Is your hull flat? Do you know about the Mod V model?

Is your hull flat? Do you know about the Mod V model?
    Yes mine is flat with a wide flat bow. The ones with a little V take a little more water but would ride better in chop.

Those are cool, but don't think they would mix well with the rock gardens I have to run through.
    You're right about that. They defintely don't like rocks. I have been looking at this type of motor for 3 years now, but now have changed my mind back to a jet AGAIN. I have test drove the MudBuddy surface drive a couple of times and here is what I've found. Hard to steer, the non-balanced drives hit hard when you hit something under the water (hard to get the prop up out of the water also). In my opinion not nearly as reliable as an outboard either. Oh and very, very loud.

Third time to try this link http://www.excelboats.net/RiverJet.html

maybe I got the right one and this one works
    You don't want a boat that heavy in my opinion. Now don't get me wrong being at .125" aluminum it will be very tough, but also very heavy. I drove a 1751 Excel, nice boat but you ain't going to pulling it off a gravel bar either.

Anyone use either the g3 http://www.g3boats.com/GatorToughJons/?m=1656CCJ#model

or the Lowe boats? http://www.loweboats.com/showroom/we...on/r1760cj.php

Seem like pretend river boats...but maybe not

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast