Thread: Black Bears

Smile Black Bears

Has any one here ever taken a black bear off Ellot Hwy baiting before?
    I set up a bear baiting site and hope its a good spot, it looks like it but I was told by a friend that it was still too close to town (Fairbanks) but its not in the North Star area and is .4 miles off the road, like 1hr north of Fairbanks.

Default Black Bears

Not knowing exactly where you are at, I can put together a pretty fair guess. You are for sure in "bear country." If you are more than 30 miles from Fairbanks you will have a better chance at a larger bear because the hunting pressure will be a bit less. I always figure the farther from town the better the chances for a bigger bear.

You can PM me for questions. I have given classes on bear hunting and some consider me as the "go to guy" for bear hunting. I think I am just lucky. But I love to share my ideas and opinions.

Head over to the Bear Baiting forum brother....lots of info there.

Default no way

Hey Jose,
    Sounds like you are in a great area for ravens! Careful with the donuts as they love them as much as the bears do!!
    JK brother, patients, you will kill a bear where you are. Patients is the key
    later
    Jason

Thats true, theres a really fat crow out there.

Default Photos

Looking at a large number of photos posted the one striking thing is that the barrels that most are using are sticking out like a sore thumb. Why don't you spend $4.00 and 1/2 hour of time and paint the barrel camo so it looks like it almost belongs out there in the bush? Most barrels are flat out ugly. Sorry to my fellow bear hunters, but when the barrel is in a photo I don't think the barrel should be the main point of vision in the photo.

Default Patience

Got a Pope and Young last year on the Elliot Hwy (18 1/4), many hours of sitting, Im about 40 miles up the Elliot and 5 miles in, If you bait smelly, and sit, your sure to smash one, one weird note: I went in with a bow and saw bears, I carried a gun and saw not a thing maybe the smelled the Hopps good luck brother!