Thread: Best prices for the Old Town Tripper? Or?

Default Best prices for the Old Town Tripper? Or?

Gonna get back into canoe's this year. Decided the 17 Old Town Tripper would make a good choice for the Kenai and other places we can't take the bigger boats.
    REI has free shipping to the store for $1,449 and then you usually get 10% back at the end of your dividend period.
    Almost ordered one with their 20% off sale but the fine print said no hard hulled boats and the people at REI told me that included the Old Towns.
    SW has them and after factoring in the 10% rebate they are costier than REI (even with the military 5% discount).

Any better prices in town? Or is there something else we should be looking at? Needs to hold 2 adults with fishing gear and once a year, maybe a third person.
    Tennessee

If I was looking for an Old Town Tripper I would head to either Talkeetna or Homer. Those boys know all about Trippin....
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

RMK

Default canoes

Keep an eye on Craigs List. There are canoes on there all the time. An Old Town Camper was on there last month that was in great shape for $800.

REI isn't a bad deal when you factor in the rebate in the spring. The problem is that half of their canoes arrive damaged. It's tough getting a canoe up here without trashing it.

We.no.nah canoes are brought to Alaska by their own people. They just made the trip this week. They are only sold at Beaver Sports in Fairbanks, or Wilderness Way in Soldotna. They cost a bit more, but seem to be in better shape most of the time.

I would watch Craigs List for now. The water is still mostly frozen anyway. If nothing pops up, then buy one from REI or SW.

Good Luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Try a few out

You are welcome to come by my place and try a few different ones.
    I have the Campers, the penobscots, and I will have the new Scott canoes..
    just give me a call or pm me here for anyone that wants to test out the canoes, we can put you in the moose river and paddle around for a while..
    Thanks
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

What do you have in the 17 foot range that is priced in line with the Tripper?
    Tennessee

http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/10_Tr...eat_Canoe.html

http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/10_Tr...164_Canoe.html

Check those out. Alaskaslist is seeming to better than Craigslist these days.. I almost never visit CL anymore.. You might see why once visiting the site. Good luck!

gpaul

just sold my penobscot 17ft. (royalex) on craigs the other day. It sold in 15 minutes. the guy gave me my asking price ($875). I did have a couple dents in at the bottom of the bow which we promptly worked together to repair before I sold the canoe (heat gun and a wooden dowl). I will miss that canoe but I have bigger fish to fry and if I need a double ender....I'll just rent from Max Keep your eyes peeled......there are some good Old Town Canoes to be had on craigs.

If canoes arriving at REI arrive damaged, you can always get them to knock off another discount, though that might negate the 10&#37; dividend.

I bought a canoe at REI down south a number of years ago and found a blem on it, the manager took another discount off of it. It was already on sale, he said he couldn't reduce it any lower without sending it back.

Just a thought, good luck!

Damaged canoes from REI wouldnt bother me, just refuse the order and have them order another. Sooner or later someone has to get it right, lol. Will wait for a few weeks before ordering one and see if a good deal on a used Tripper pops up first.
    Tennessee

Default Tripper

The Tripper is one of the best canoes for long trips with gear. i have used they and I own a 169 Discovery as well. Stable in big water and light enough for the portage that we all have to do.

Good choice and used ones can be found used in the 8-900 range/

Good luck

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    907-822-4290

If you don't want to wait I noticed that Sportsmans Warehouse down by the Dimond Mall had an Old Town Tripper hanging from the ceiling a couple weeks back but didn't have the price posted yet.

I havn't been to the Wasilla store but they may have one there too. If I had to guess they would be asking about the same as REI but you could walk away with it and not have to wait for the 6 weeks shipping.