Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about water supply

Default Questions about water supply

Well since my money for tags turned into adonation this year, I'm getting on the stick and doing something I've failed to do in the past and paid dearly for, I planning a hunt early this time.

Me and my dad are going out west to look for bears and maybe a caribou for me. We are going in in a Beaver on floats so we'll be on a lake of course. We did a moose hunt last year on a lake and the only problem we ran into, except of course for lack of moose, was that we ran low on water.

We used lake water for washing and cooking where applicable of course, but towards the end we were kinda short on drinking water.

So I guess my question is what do you guys do for water supply when you do a drop off. Do you take big jugs or bottled water, or do you use some kind of purifier system. When I've been out with the boss we take a couple 5 gallon jugs and water bottles, but if we run out we can just hop back in the plane and fly to the lodge to get 10 more gallons, problem is I ain't paying for the plane to bring us more water mid trip at 550 an hour.

If you have any suggestions or tips please fill me in. Also if you use a purifier I'd be intersted in details like where to get one, how much it handles, and is it efficiant.

Thanks guys.

Go to Sportsmans or any other sporting good store and get a water pump for under 100 bucks. Take one or to 5 gallon cans and a pump ive used them on moose and bear hunts some take time to pump but ive never gotten sick.

I use several different ways to purify water. For a lake based fly in, I would recommend the
    Katadyn Base Camp Water Filter. Fill it and let gravity do the work. I use a coffee filter to wrap around the filter and secure with a rubber band to prolong filter life. I have also used a bucket to act as a settling basin. Fill the bucket with water, allow it to sit for an hour or more. Carefully pour the water into the Katadyn, the solids will be into bottom of the bucket.

I also use an MSR Hyperflow for my backpack.

Platypus Water bottles are also great gear for water storage and transport.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I use several different ways to purify water. For a lake based fly in, I would recommend the
    Katadyn Base Camp Water Filter. Fill it and let gravity do the work. I use a coffee filter to wrap around the filter and secure with a rubber band to prolong filter life. I have also used a bucket to act as a settling basin. Fill the bucket with water, allow it to sit for an hour or more. Carefully pour the water into the Katadyn, the solids will be into bottom of the bucket.

Steve

I second the base camp since I hate pumping water! I used to use a Pur Hiker which became the Katadyn Hiker and uses the same filter at the base camp. I still take the hiker for a spare, just in case, but have never used it again. The base camp is super easy - fill it and let it run while you do something else.

For backpacking I use iodine, but it is poison - flavor with Crystal Light and enjoy

Yeah get a purifier. Thats what I have always used. That base camp one seems pretty sweet. Ill have to check it out. But I am not that bothered with a pump style one either.

And dont forget when your making hot drinks, or if your eating dehydrated meals you can just boil the water to purify it.

Default steri stir

Has anyone used the steri stir thing? I've had it recommended to me, but only from one person so far, so I'm not buyin'.

Default Iodine

Personally I just use iodine either as tablets or liquid. Some people don't care for the taste. Even if you prefer to boil, filter, or pack as your main way of getting water they make a great backup. They are light, cheap, and take up barely any space. I keep some in my first aid kit/survival kit. The "bad" taste of iodine is certainly better than the green apple quick step.

I just drink the lake water and have never had a problem

If I'm towards the end of my hunt and running low, I just dunk my face into the delicious mountain stream and indulge. I've done it, but it is risky.
    That camp filter looks pretty nice. I've boiled water from a lake and drank it straight (sediment is just more energy), but I have to let it cool a bit before I pour it in my camel bak or similar bladder. I guess it just depends where you're at and what resources are around you. If I know I'll be around lake water only, I'd bring a filter system of some sort.
    If I'm in the mountains, I just look for a high creek and go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    DITTO, for 41 years I have drank the water right out of the lake, river or stream. and never had a problem. Where I live now I get my water out of the creek in the back yard 365 days per year, and have never treated or filtered water in Alaska.

Default Water Filter

This is the one I use, it works very well fits right to a water bottle or some of the bladder bags. If the flow slows use the included pad to clean the filter takes like 1 min.

http://www.rei.com/product/695265

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll check them out.

As far as drinking straight out of the lake goes, the old man who used to own our ranch back home lived on the place an drank straight from the creek, it was the only running water he ever had. I think when he died he was like 78 or so, which is getting on up there, but now that I think back on it I believe he drank about as much whiskey as he did water, HMMMM.

Okay scratch the purifier, we're taking 10 gallons of Maker's Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post

same here!!!

You do realize that the same moose you are hunting has already $&!+ in that lake, right? You may have done it for years, but you won't catch me doing it. I like filters. I typically take both a filter and iodine tablets, just in case. Combined they can't weight more than half a pound. Easy insurance against beaver fever. I use the Katadyn Pro Hiker--I usually don't stay in one place long enough to use the Base Camp model.

Always boiled the water at hand, then one year I purchased a filter. Both work just dandy and for back up and to carry in my pack I have treatment tablets always reliable as well. As far as drinking directly from a lake... isn't going to happen unless I haven't a choice.

I drink out of small creeks if they seem right. Like high up and fast moving. Im not gonna do the lake thing though!

Default SteriPEN

Love mine. It will only do a liter at a time, but it only takes a minute to purify a liter. Within 5 minutes, you've purified 4 liters ( a little over a gallon ). I usually only draw water from clear, fast moving streams, but have had to draw from some pretty stagnant stuff before without any ill effects. When drawing from a water source with particulates ( i.e., mud, plant matter, etc. ) I use a coffee filter. Of course, the first choice is always clear, fast moving creeks. Check it out:

http://www.steripen.com/?gclid=CKKzo...FR16gwod51TAxA

And for large amounts of water, boil it. You can boil several gallons of water a day.

Default water

I have always just drank right from creeks,lakes. Never had a problem. I have had a few doctor clients tell me that those of us who have done this for years have probably built up an immunity to the bad stuff, either that or it isnt there?? You can also "batch chlorinate" just carry a very small amount of bleach and you can make almost any water safe. The ratios can be found online. I know health Canada is OK with this method as they require me to treat all water this way at our lodge.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    I have always just drank right from creeks,lakes. Never had a problem. I have had a few doctor clients tell me that those of us who have done this for years have probably built up an immunity to the bad stuff, either that or it isnt there??
    I think that the combination of fluorinated water & massive over use of antibiotics is part of the problem. Chicken and beef contain huge amounts of antibiotics, people who think that they do not do drugs, are on antibiotics 24/7/365. They have killed all of the defensive bacteria that is supposed to be in there system. In 34 years of guiding I only had one client get the runs. And it may not have been the water. I feel People are just phobic about water, I know people who will not drink well water, and think if it ain't USDA Goverment approved Bottled Water, it is unsafe. I see it as one more Madison Avenue CON.

Default +1 for the Katadyn Base Camp filter

Another plug for the Katadyn Base Camp filter. It is a little big to pack around if you are concerned with every ounce and it takes a few minutes for gravity to do its thing, but it could not be simpler to use and it is not nearly as bothersome as the pump style filters IMO. Fill it and forget it. Of course in most areas boiling will make the water safe to drink, if not very tasty. For those that just suck down lake water, my hat's off to you--nothing like a case of beaver fever to spice up the hunting trip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast