Thread: Vessel Based Black Bear Hunt Questions

Default Vessel Based Black Bear Hunt Questions

Hi folks. I wanted to ask several questions concerning one of those vessel based black bear hunts. I did a search but could not find anything on them. I just bought into one of those out of Homer with Premier Sportfishing and Hunting. A guy at work couldn't go so I got it from him. It is June 7th -11th.

My first question is can some of you tell me about this hunt based on previous experience of your own? Have any of you ever went on one of these hunts? Are they worthwhile? What are the logistics of getting 6 guys from 6 different corners of the country shuttled to the beach without anyone being mad or shooting a hole in the Zodiac?? How long do they leave you ashore hunting? Do they give you a radio or expect a signal for pick up? Do they GPS mark you and then manage to come back by and get us? What do these folks do in the meantime? They say we can fish for halibut and kings while not hunting. Would they be commercial fishing? What should we bring for gear? I realize the basics like rifle, bullets, knife, bug spray, etc. I am specifically wondering about a small backpacking tent to have with us in case we need to spend the night on shore. Apparently, this outfit is well equipped, but I wonder what sort of extras I need to bring?? All meals and drinks are included in the 5 day hunt. The boat is 65 feet with 6 staterooms. Showers and 3 marine heads. What if we have a bear down and it's 5 pm and we're sposed to get picked up at 6 where they left us this morning? That's why I asked about the radios. I just have a bunch of questions and so far not spoken with the service yet. I do plan to of course. I sure would appreciate some pointers here. I bought my brother a spot on this trip so I would like for us to have a good trip and hope for some success if at all possible. Thanks for any and all replies.

Whelenator

Default I haven't hunted with them, but...

One possibility is to contact them and ask for a list of references from previous clients (successful and unsuccessful). Even though the info gleaned may be "filtered", at least you'd have a range of personal experiences to draw from. Their website doesn't seem to have any "testimonials", but I imagine they'd supply you with a list of contacts. http://www.premiersportfishing.com/index.html

Good luck!

I know Travis personally and have worked, played and hunted off the Venturess.
    he is an A1 guy, give him a call and he can answer all your questions.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default No worries

Man....where do you get your coffee?

That sounds like the most ultimate posh hunt ever. NO WORRIES!

Pay your bucks, eat, drink, and shoot. If you want, fish.

Default Vessel based Hunting

Homerdave, thanks a lot. That give me some peace of mind that they weren't going to "take me hunting" but really steal my guns and kill me and send me to the bottom with a crab pot!

Whelenator- let us know how it goes. I have similar hunt (er..vacation) planned for this fall with another outfitter.

Sounds like a good time.

Default Vessel Hunting

I will be glad to post the results. There should be pics if all goes well!

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Whelenator- let us know how it goes. I have similar hunt (er..vacation) planned for this fall with another outfitter.

Sounds like a good time.

Default Full Boat?

I wonder if the boat is booked up as will it be the full eight guys? (or six)
    I imagine so, those look like pretty good prices on the site, '09 price sheet, did they raise them for this year? $525 per day? That'd be cool if there was the minimum of four for your hunt, eh?

That looks really nice Whel, sounds like a great time, hope there are cool guys on there with you, right.

That's SOoo Good they have the Flat Screen DVD..... whewww, So if there are some goofs on there huntin with ya, you can turn the volume up and....
    or go out on the back deck, while they turn the volume up

Seriously, lookin' forward to your report

I think you should pursue Bear hard, late towards dusk so you knock one down just at "0-Dark-thirty", and get stranded on the beach "On Purpose" just to stay real for the rest of us,...

Oh yeah, you might want to remember your Hair Conditioner, they might only have Shampoo and that would be such a Drag...

Can ya tell I'm fighting off Envy? Good Huntin' to ya
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

My wife and I hunted with Travis for Kodiak deer in Nov 08, and will be doing so again this November. Great guy, nice boat. Staterooms aren't exactly luxurious, but they are comfortable. I understand they are remodeling the main cabin, so I'm curious to see it. They had a big flatscreen we could watch movies in the evenings. Of course, the days were much shorter.

If you enjoy an adult beverage, take your own.

Their tender is plenty big. They took us ashore 2 or 3 at a time, spreading us out a bit. Left it up to us to pick a spot, since they are only transporters. I'd think they might cruise in both boats, then put you ashore when you spot a bear. Or you could go ashore and do some hiking.

Because of the size of the boat, I would expect you will go out around the corner to some of the bays on the south end of the peninsula. Should be sweet hunting, as many private smaller boats won't want to "venture" that far.

I recommend you call Travis immediately. That man gets super busy around early May and it can be difficult to make contact with him once he starts fishing hard - gone for days at a time on his long-range fishing trips.

Let me know if you want to talk, I'll PM you my phone #. But rest assured you have chosen an excellent outfit.

Chris

man that looks like a great time are the blacktail hunts 525 a day also