Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: popcorn ideas / how much how long

Default popcorn ideas / how much how long

Tonight I tried to make a sweet popcorn bait that I think will work fantastic when i figure out the amounts tonight I took 3 1/4 cups sugar 1 3/4 cups corn syrup some butter and 2 cups mini marshmallows I cooked it until boiling then poured it over popcorn and added a little cherry koolaide it was delicious .

So my thinking is the bears will really like it. My concern is how much will they eat . I know all of it but I am wondering how fast will it take them.

At the end of last season i was going through 10o lbs of dog food a day and that was too expensive and too heavy for me to keep carrying.

I am thinking I could put out three 30 gal barrels and fill them up and hopefully get a week if I added say 20 lbs of dogfood to each one. what do you guys think.

Is it just weight they are eating or will popcorn fill them differently than dog food.

Default Not sure, but...

It sounds like you need to make it more difficult for them to eat the bait if they are eating over 100lbs a day!!! Do you use a barrel or just throw the food out on the ground? If you use a barrel, use only a small opening that the bears can only fit their paw through and this will slow them down quite a bit. The other way is to suspend the barrel in a tree so they have a harder time getting up to the food to begin with.

I would think that dogfood would be quite a bit more filling than popcorn, but I am not 100% sure about this.

Best of luck,

CubeCove

I had 23 bears hitting last year so I didnt matter if there was food as soon as one left others came in both black and grizzlies thats another reason I am going to a sweet bait

I would still consider making it a little harder for the bears to fill up their stomaches. If you had that many there last year, they will remember the spot.
    Also I'm sure brown bears will enjoy the sweet bait just as much. They prefer the stinky stong scented food, but free food is free food. With a delicious concoction like that, I'm sure you'll have plenty of visitor of both colors.
    I'd use a smaller hole.
    Did you use plastic 30 gal barrels by chance. Just wondering if the brownies beat it to oblivion. That's what I'm using due to logistics.

i used 30 gal drums I used a light chain loosely to the tree and through the top bung holes and they could bang it around a little butit always stayed up right they never abused it at all . not a great pict but you can see they are just eating away.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    I had 23 bears hitting last year so I didnt matter if there was food as soon as one left others came in both black and grizzlies thats another reason I am going to a sweet bait
    Man you got the honey hole thats alot of bears

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post

Another solution would be to let me come out and eliminate some of the smaller bears. Two 5-footers would be perfect! Sausage for a year.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Talking Off topic!

MNViking --

How you feel about playing the World Champion New Orleans Saints in your opening game?

You GOTTA be twitching like a heroin addict stranded on a gravel bar with FEAR!

Just pokin' fun.

WhO DaT!!!!?

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    MNViking --

How you feel about playing the World Champion New Orleans Saints in your opening game?

You GOTTA be twitching like a heroin addict stranded on a gravel bar with FEAR!

Just pokin' fun.

WhO DaT!!!!?

Taylor
    I'm a Viking fan so I have coping abilities. Only Bills fans know more about choking.

Angry

You forgot us Lions fans!
    Paul

....And us Bear fans with our star Quarterback! HA!

hey guys can we get back to my original post thanks

I think there is not a lot of sympathy for someone with 23 bears on their bait. 23 bears are going to eat a lot of anything you put out there so, yea I'd go with whatever was lightest and between my friends and I, we'd try to shoot at least 15 of them. How's the moose population in that area?

I hunted with popcorn last year and it was some work to pop it. I brought 10 gallons of popcorn into my site and sat my stand. I had a small 6 foot boar come in and he ate 7 gallons in 10 minutes. I had to scare him off the bait so he wouldn't eat all the food. Those bears can mow through the bait.
    I'm keeping it simple this year, I'm using dog food and grease. I will be rebaiting every 4 days or so. I hope to keep them happy. Your popcorn recipe sounds delicious! If your worried about bears going through your bait, make it a challenge for them to get the bait.

moose population is low and I have 7 friends hunting with me this year. The guys post above about them eating 7 gallons in a few minutes is concerning. I did change the recipe to include some jelly beans and dog food but maybe I will need to do something that will hold more bait.

popping the corn isn't such a bad problem I have an 8 yr old daughter that gets $1 for every 30gal trash can popped with the air popper she can watch tv or play and just keep refilling though i may buy a second popper to make it faster.

I was thinking 2 30 gal drums but maybe a crib of some kind would work better if I put a tarp over it?

If I were you Blackbear, I would just fill your barrell continously with a decent amount of bait rather than a ton of bait. If it runs out of bait before the bear is full, he'll leave and come back fairly soon. If you fill it full though, he'll eat alot of it and may not come back for a day or two. IMO the lesser bait makes for more competition and the bears come back more frequently.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Blackbear,
    Add in some cobb. It was on sale yesterday at Walmart for $10.50 40# bag.

I have popped a lot of popcorn in my day and I think your daughter needs a raise
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

cob is heavy I am going for the lighter side of things.

As far as a raise her cost of living is pretty inexpensive for her and she already tried the I think it should be $2 a each time. I told her I will just do it myself and she didn't want to see her new source of funds go away so she agreed to $1

But she did do two barrels yesterday until she overfilled it and went outside . Her sister ended up turning off the popper when it started to smoke. lol

No raises yet .

In Canada in some provinces you can only bring a five gallon bucket at a time. When they dump the bait they bang on the bucket before leaving. Bears are tuned in, and come in very quickly as the baiter is walking out. Less food=more competition, good bears.

Default baiting

here is what i do. i usually bait heavy the first time and from there i reduce the amount i out in. i will go about half the amount and try to use the same things over and over. i try not to mix sweet and stinky on the same bait. i will put out 50# of dog food, with syrup, vanilla, horse feed with oats and corn in it thats sweet. i like to have only sweet smelling things on my bait because im sitting on it. i am a huge fan of anise. it;'s kinda a secret weapon when used right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast