Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: 4 Stroke only?

  1. #1
    Member tccak71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,856

    Default 4 Stroke only?

    When does Skilak Lake, Kenai Lake and the Kenai River become 4 stroke only, indefinitely?

    As I understand it, currently I can run my 35hp 2 stroke in all three areas EXCEPT for the month of July. Word on the street is that next year, 2011, it will be 4 stroke only without exceptions. Is that true? I can not tell by looking it the regs.

    Thanks,
    Tim

  2. #2
    Member Alaskanmutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    826
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

  3. #3
    Member JOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna, ALASKA since '78
    Posts
    3,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    When does Skilak Lake, Kenai Lake and the Kenai River become 4 stroke only, indefinitely?
    January 1st, 2013

    As I understand it, currently I can run my 35hp 2 stroke in all three areas EXCEPT for the month of July.
    Correct.

    Word on the street is that next year, 2011, it will be 4 stroke only without exceptions. Is that true?
    That's not true. Some of the regulations were phased in, such as boat length restrictions. The 4-stroke only and for everyone drop dead is the start of 2013.
    Winter is Coming...

    Go GeocacheAlaska!

  4. #4
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    3,030

    Default detuned

    How can you tell if your 40hp Suzuki is detuned to 35 horse power? I bought the motor used and it has the cowling stickers on it.

  5. #5
    Member tccak71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    How can you tell if your 40hp Suzuki is detuned to 35 horse power? I bought the motor used and it has the cowling stickers on it.
    I really don't know. I'd like to know how to bump mine up to a 40 again. When I took it to J. Kimberly Services for some work he confirmed that it was detuned to a 35. I believe it has a 40 prop on it (because it is a 40) and you do something to limit the throttle to detune it, I really don't know though. My motor has a 35 sticker on it too.

    Tim

  6. #6
    Member tccak71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,856

    Thumbs up

    Mutt & Joat,

    That's the info I was looking for. Thanks!

    Btw, are there any restrictions regarding hp or 2/4 stroke on Tstumena (sic?) Lake?


    Tim
    Last edited by tccak71; 04-23-2010 at 16:07. Reason: addition

  7. #7
    Member JOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna, ALASKA since '78
    Posts
    3,517

    Default

    Tustumena Lake is completely unregulated. Take whatever you want.
    Winter is Coming...

    Go GeocacheAlaska!

  8. #8
    Member AK Troutbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak, AK.
    Posts
    971

    Default

    They don't list the newer Mercury Optimax's as being one of the DFI 2 strokes allowed, but it is and will continue to be allowed.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kodiak
    Posts
    650

    Default regs

    Joat is spot on with his post. The rumors were that this was the year for it, not true. 4 Stroke only in July and personal use fishery.

  10. #10
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    3,030

    Default personal use fishery

    Does that mean that you cannot use an old 2 stroke 35HP below Ames bridge for dipnetting?

  11. #11
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Does that mean that you cannot use an old 2 stroke 35HP below Ames bridge for dipnetting?
    That is correct. Convienient isn't it!!!!! All those old commercial boats don't have a problem, but the public sure does.

  12. #12
    Member Alaskanmutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    826

    Default Detuned engine

    has a different throttle cam.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    161

    Default

    According to the link above. The KRSMA regs only apply to river mile 4 and upstream. About one mile downstream from the bridge. The bottom 4 miles are still open to all engines???

    Then I went to the following link at the ADFG and it is saying river mile 1.5?

    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...se/kenaipu.cfm

    Confusing

  14. #14
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by needcoffee View Post
    According to the link above. The KRSMA regs only apply to river mile 4 and upstream. About one mile downstream from the bridge. The bottom 4 miles are still open to all engines???

    Then I went to the following link at the ADFG and it is saying river mile 1.5?

    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...se/kenaipu.cfm

    Confusing
    Map is pretty detailed. Below the bridge, you can use any 4 stroke or 2 stroke DFI or electric motor. There is no Horse Power Limit down from the bridge. Above the bridge the 50HP applies. Below the 1.5 mile marker you can use a 2 stroke but you can't dipnet from a boat past that point. It mentions an electric motor. I'd like to see an electric motor that could take you up river from the boat launch. Personally, I think with such a great tide influx especially at the dipnet area, the 4 stroke deal is just a money game. Trying to limit the fishery IMO by folks not wanting to buy or can't afford a new motor just to use it once a year. If you operate a 2 stroke, spill fuel etc... at the one mile mark or mouth of the river, its comming up river, period. Like I said, those old commercial boats anchored in the dipnet area are not held to the same standard and with the tide bringing in junk and stuff, whats the point? Limit fishery use and population IMO. I don't believe the salmon don't spawn that close to the mouth.

  15. #15
    Member Alaskanmutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    826

    Default From my understanding

    During dipnetting season the river becomes very polluted by the older 2 strokes well above EPA standards. That was the reason they outlawed them for dipnetting. And the reason for ONLY during dipnet season is the amount of them that show up for just that time is like 10 times as many boats.

    The big commercial boats that anchor in the channel are not 2 stroke, they do not puke 2 stroke oil into the water. and as for the hp rating of them when was the last time you saw one coming into anchor on step tossing a 3 foot wake?

    THey raised the hp limit above the bridge in a effort to allow the heavy loaded boats to get on step and to create less shore erosion. Heavier boats not on step throw a large bow wake.

    So it has nothing to do with trying to limit those who can't afford a 4 stroke or DFI authorized 2 stroke. Again this is from what I have heard and have read.

    I am just hoping we don't go the way of California where almost if not ALL 2 strokes are outlawed, dirtbikes, outboards, lawnmowers and last I had heard they were working on 2 stroke chainsaws .
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

  16. #16
    Member tccak71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,856

    Default

    Doesn't Commiefornia have "special" spill-proof gas cans too? What a joke.

    Tim

  17. #17
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    During dipnetting season the river becomes very polluted by the older 2 strokes well above EPA standards. That was the reason they outlawed them for dipnetting. And the reason for ONLY during dipnet season is the amount of them that show up for just that time is like 10 times as many boats.

    The big commercial boats that anchor in the channel are not 2 stroke, they do not puke 2 stroke oil into the water. and as for the hp rating of them when was the last time you saw one coming into anchor on step tossing a 3 foot wake?

    THey raised the hp limit above the bridge in a effort to allow the heavy loaded boats to get on step and to create less shore erosion. Heavier boats not on step throw a large bow wake.

    So it has nothing to do with trying to limit those who can't afford a 4 stroke or DFI authorized 2 stroke. Again this is from what I have heard and have read.

    I am just hoping we don't go the way of California where almost if not ALL 2 strokes are outlawed, dirtbikes, outboards, lawnmowers and last I had heard they were working on 2 stroke chainsaws .
    Some of those CF Boats have outboards, some do not, but most of them are rust buckets with leaks of every kind including oils etc... If they are soooooo worried about the pollution, they need to look at the entire picture. Again its all tide waters, it washes in and out. I'm not buying the 4 stroke BS deal in the dipnet area. I had a morning a four years back in Big Lake, Got up on a Sunday morning at first light and went for a ride. It was a calm day and sunrise was gonna be spectacular. I came upon a gasoline sheen about 1/2 mile wide and 1/4 mile long. I called AST and reported it. 3 hours later a Game Warden showed up in a boat, checked it out and left. He said, it would dissipate when the wind picked up and it washed a shore and left. I know Big Lake is not the Kenia River, but come on. So with the tide influx below the bridge, I'm throwing the BS Card!!!

  18. #18
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,679

    Default The Tower of Power

    Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Some of those CF Boats have outboards, some do not, but most of them are rust buckets with leaks of every kind including oils etc... If they are soooooo worried about the pollution, they need to look at the entire picture. Again its all tide waters, it washes in and out. I'm not buying the 4 stroke BS deal in the dipnet area. I had a morning a four years back in Big Lake, Got up on a Sunday morning at first light and went for a ride. It was a calm day and sunrise was gonna be spectacular. I came upon a gasoline sheen about 1/2 mile wide and 1/4 mile long. I called AST and reported it. 3 hours later a Game Warden showed up in a boat, checked it out and left. He said, it would dissipate when the wind picked up and it washed a shore and left. I know Big Lake is not the Kenia River, but come on. So with the tide influx below the bridge, I'm throwing the BS Card!!!
    Reading this reminds me of the good ol' days. A whimsical time when if you didn't show up on the Kenai w/ twin 85 mercs on the back of your smokercraft then you only dreamed of it. Ah the memories... the 2-stroke smell in the morning, the blue haze of smoke laying low on the water. Smokercrafts flying about w/ the roar of the twin mercs, drunk dads trying to navigate the rock piles at 50 w/ oncoming smokercrafts w/ more drunk dads all looking down trying to get eggs on their spin&glos for another drift through the hole. remember those motors? I got all nostalgic when I started thinking about the tower of power, gosh those were hot motors for their time

  19. #19
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Reading this reminds me of the good ol' days. A whimsical time when if you didn't show up on the Kenai w/ twin 85 mercs on the back of your smokercraft then you only dreamed of it. Ah the memories... the 2-stroke smell in the morning, the blue haze of smoke laying low on the water. Smokercrafts flying about w/ the roar of the twin mercs, drunk dads trying to navigate the rock piles at 50 w/ oncoming smokercrafts w/ more drunk dads all looking down trying to get eggs on their spin&glos for another drift through the hole. remember those motors? I got all nostalgic when I started thinking about the tower of power, gosh those were hot motors for their time

    Oh my goodness. I remember those days, I was just having a conversaion this evening about oh how I wish I could have run my North River on the Kenai LOL. The smell and blue has and speed does bring back memories
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    They don't list the newer Mercury Optimax's as being one of the DFI 2 strokes allowed, but it is and will continue to be allowed.

    True, but if the limit is 50 HP Mercury does not make a 50 Optimax.
    Peyton, Colorado

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •