Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hunting food

Default hunting food

Does anyone dehydrate their own meals for hunting? Looking for some lightweight ideas. Mt house is incredibly expensive here.

Default top ramen

i use top ramen to strech my mountian house. mix it right in without the seasoning or sometimes do use the seasoning. it goes together very well.

also freeze dried is very do-able. dehydrate anything then just add water.

also in another thread, someone mentions they buy mountian house in bulk for cheaper. a recent canoe thread from a guy in sterling

Does dryfish count.
    One of the best light weight foods.

I used to use a seal-a-meal to package dinner. worked pretty good.

Cook what you like, vacum it , and frezze it till you are ready for the season. The good thing about the seal-a-meal is that you can seal off your meat, veges, and whatever in seperate pouch's in one pouch.

I have also done the dehydration first, then vucumed them, problem was with the jerky it seemed like only 1/4 of the batch went into the pouch.

We sure do, in quantity for the 16 of us, with only the best, natural foods for camping.....

Cant wait....after this week end, it'll be "Drying time" before the Flys emerge to wreak havok ~~~LOL!!!~~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by hooternanny View Post
    i use top ramen to strech my mountian house. mix it right in without the seasoning or sometimes do use the seasoning. it goes together very well.
    Adding cous cous or instant mashed potatos will help stretch out Mountain house also. Throw in a bread roll too.

Mountain House is incredibly expensive regardless of your location. They sure are proud of their prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Badriverman View Post
    Does dryfish count.
    One of the best light weight foods.
    That's what I take for snacking.......... king salmon strips and dried reds. Throw in some tea and Sailor Boy crackers and you've got a meal.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    Does anyone dehydrate their own meals for hunting? Looking for some lightweight ideas. Mt house is incredibly expensive here.
    Try looking here; http://www.trailcooking.com/

I haven't bought their book yet, but I will.

They're a little....err, a lot treehuggery, but hey, I've hugged a tree or two in my time.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Slim Jims and spam,you can't go wrong

Default Those are good

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Slim Jims and spam,you can't go wrong
    I also like crackers, such as Wheat Thins, fruit leather and oatmeal packets. I always bring salmon strips and dry meat (not jerky) with me as well.

My hunting partners and I have been doing it for around 20 years. Make your favorite meals, dehydrate them, vaccume seal them and the put them in the freezer. We have tried all sorts of meals, and only a few have not worked out. Cheese does not reconstitue well and don't try shrimp. All the pasta meals work well as does chilli. Most will rehydrate with hot water added, but some need to be simmered. Have fun and enjoy, it even tastes better than Mt. House. Jim

Cliff Bars are also a great thing to bring. their loaded with calories, but they don't cut it for a long trip. but its a good change of pace. very lightweight also.

On a float hunt I did a while back, one of the guys brought along dehydrated sliced potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, onions (and maybe some other stuff, I forget) and some store bought soy (imitation meat) cubes. In camp he mixed it all together and added some soup bullion cubes and simmered for an hour. Made an excellent stew! This is something I will repeat.

Default rice

rice a roni and a 22 pistol for small game or light fishing rod
    our mnt. house meals were only if we did not get anything else

Default Dried meals

We've been drying our own backpacking dinners for almost 30 years now, using the same Excalibur dehydrator (www.excaliburdehydrator.com) Had a few trial and error deals, but it's been great. A few tips:

Instead of dicing meat, grind it- it dries and rehydrates lots quicker.
    Make your own pasta sauce, and dry it on Saran Wrap, like fruit leather, and grind it or cut into small pieces- again, rehydrates faster.
    Stews, chili, jambalaya, all great one-pot meals.
    Use a bit more spice, onion, garlic than usual- drying tends to leach out some of the flavor
    All fruit dries well, with the exceptions of citrus and watermelon. Cut into uniform-sized pieces so the fruit dries evenly.
    You can also make your own jerky, using either game meat or beef. Lots of recipes for marinades and spices on the net.
    Hope this helps- good luck. Drying your own food is so much better than the commercial stuff- you know exactly what's in it, and it's a lot cheaper, too. Have fun.

-Tom-

Default hungry

Stranger looking at all that meat made me hungry! Do you have to freeze it after drying? We make dry meat but we use smoke, and it lasts forever.I would like to know how to freeze dry stuff, but have heard its quite a procedure.

MRE's are another option.

PRDATR, At $75.00 a box I'm thinking mac and cheese is looking good.

( unless you have an inside sorce, lol, J/K)

I just got my excalibur last week. I'm in love, though the jerky really does disappear almost as fast as it dries...

The only way around that is to have the wife make it dream.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast