Phone: (907) 424-3212
    Date Issued: April 22, 2010
    Fax: (907) 424-3235
    FISHERY ANNOUNCEMENT
    PRINCE WILLIAM SOUND COMMERCIAL
    SHRIMP SEASON SECOND FISHING PERIOD
    E.O. 2-SF-E-04-10
    SEASON, AREA, AND GEAR
    The first fishing period of the Prince William Sound (PWS) Area E commercial shrimp pot fishery closed on April 18 and produced a harvest of approximately 13,000 lbs from 109 landings by 68 vessels. Gale force winds during the fishing period affected participation in the fishery as well as fishery performance. Therefore, a second commercial shrimp pot fishing period will open at 8:00 a.m. April 24, 2010 and close at 8:00 p.m. April 29, 2010. The hours that fishing gear can be operated is also increased to 12 hours per day. Shrimp pot gear may only be deployed and retrieved from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. each day. The maximum number of shrimp pots that may be operated from a vessel remains at 20.
    Additional logbook forms will be available at ADF&G offices in Anchorage, Homer and Cordova. The department will also attempt to make these available through harbormaster offices in Cordova, Valdez and Whittier.
    The area open to commercial fishing includes waters north of 60° 40.00' N. lat. and east of 148° 00.00' W. long., excluding areas closed to commercial shrimping with pot gear as indicated on the map that accompanied the vessel registration. The open harvest area does not include waters of Port Wells and College Fiord.
    A vessel operator may not have more than the legal limit of pot gear on board the vessel or in the water at any time. Shrimp pots deployed on a longline with five or more pots, must have a buoy attached to each end of the longline (5AAC 31.226).
    -continued-
    After the fishing period or season closure, shrimp pots may be stored in saltwater only if all bait and bait containers have been removed and all doors secured fully open and for no more than 14 days (5AAC 31.052).
    REPORTING REQUIREMENTS
    Reporting requirements are specified on the registration form. In addition, a vessel operator intending to land shrimp outside of registration area must contact the department (907-424-3212) prior to departing Registration Area E and specify the amount by weight of shrimp on board the vessel. A vessel registered for the fishery may not have shrimp on board the vessel after 72 hours following the closure of the fishing period or season (5 AAC 31.031).
    Fishermen are reminded:
    1) That shrimp retained for a person’s own use must be recorded on an ADF&G fish ticket.
    2) All fish tickets are due within seven days of landing.
    3) Shrimp logbook forms must be completed and returned with the fish ticket or by mail ADF&G (P.O. Box 669, Cordova, AK. 99574 or fax 907 424-3235) within 10 days after each landing.
    A vessel used to tender shrimp must obtain a registration from the department prior to operating in the fishery. Tenders may not have shrimp gear aboard or be used to fish for shrimp (5 AAC 31.033).
    An individual who participated in the Registration Area E commercial shrimp pot fishery may not operate shrimp gear for subsistence, sport, or personal use fishing in PWS during the 14 days immediately following closure of the shrimp season (5AAC 31.053).
    BIODEGRADABLE ESCAPE MECHANISM
    All shrimp pots must have a biodegradable escape mechanism. Pots constructed with soft mesh must have an opening a minimum of six inches in length that is laced, sewn, or secured together by a single length of untreated, 100 percent cotton twine, no larger than 30 thread, that is knotted at each end only. The opening must be within six inches of the bottom of the pot and must be parallel with it (5 AAC 39.145).
    Pots constructed with rigid mesh must have at least one opening in a sidewall of the pot (that may include the tunnel) which is a minimum of four-inches square with its lower edge parallel to, and within six inches of the bottom of the pot. The opening may be covered with a single panel secured to the pot with no more than four single loops of untreated, 100 percent cotton twine no larger than 30 thread; each single loop of cotton twine may contain only one knot and may not be laced along the opening; the panel must be attached to the pot in a manner that when the cotton twine degrades the panel will drop away from the pot exposing the opening completely.
    Other regulations pertinent to the fishery are listed in Chapters 31 and 39 of the 2009-2012 Statewide Commercial Shrimp, Dungeness Crab, and Miscellaneous Shellfish Fishing Regulations booklet available at department offices in Anchorage, Cordova, and Homer or at http://www.cf.adfg.state.ak.us/geninfo/regs/cf_regs.php.
    -end-

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Good to know, Steve. Thanks for posting. I was hoping to be able to participate in a 2nd opener, but this one won't work with my work schedule. Too bad.

Default Bummer

Too bad. I wonder if F & G will allow hunters a 2nd moose season if the weather didn't cooperate to do a fly out, or another sheep season if the smoke is too bad from fires again, etc...
    Wonder why they are waffling so much lately?!
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Too bad. I wonder if F & G will allow hunters a 2nd moose season if the weather didn't cooperate to do a fly out, or another sheep season if the smoke is too bad from fires again, etc...
    Wonder why they are waffling so much lately?!
    BK
    That's not how commercial fisheries work, BK. There is a 50,000 lb harvest objective, but only 11,000 lb were caught. Seasons are frequently adjusted to meet harvest objectives, sometimes being extended and sometimes being shortened. The initial season was never intended to be the only one. They kept it short so they could tightly control it and get an accurate picture of fishery effort and harvest statistics. They're managing it conservatively and wisely. Having another season is a part of that, and realistically, they'll have yet another one later in the year.

The comparison to a regular hunting season isn't an accurate one. If you want to compare it to hunting, look at the practice with some goat and elk hunts. After the regular season F&G evaluates the harvest statistics and compares that to the harvest goals. If they want more animals taken based upon the management plans, they'll often open another season via registration permit. This isn't something that has just been happening lately, as you insinuate. It has always been part of managing fish and game populations, particularly with regards to commercial fisheries.

Brian M,
    I understand completely, just don't agree with it. I don't want anyone cleaning house on my shrimp for a profit.
    BK

Default Your shrimp?

Brian M,
    I understand completely, just don't agree with it. I don't want anyone cleaning house on my shrimp for a profit.
    BK

I don't see how this is cleaning house on YOUR shrimp. There are harvest goals for both user groups, Theres was not yet met.
    If you read the EO that came out you will see they were allowed @ 55,000# but sport guys are allowed @ 82,000# and an additional 3 pots this year. This is all due to a harvestable surplus as determined by ADF&G.
    When they reach their quota they will be done for the year.
    I don't believe anyone is going to clean house out there with the surplus that ADF&G says is there.
    I won't go into what all of us Sportfishermen could possibly do with 8 pots each. HMMMMM. just food for thought.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default Price

Does any one know how much the processors where paying for the shrimp?

Brian M,
    BK
    Don't go moose hunting in unit 14 until I get MY MOOSE then

thanks
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Your moose?????

What about mine and my sons?????

Man some people are just greedy

2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by 4whlr View Post
    Does any one know how much the processors where paying for the shrimp?
    I heard they were getting $6 per pound of tails.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I heard they were getting $6 per pound of tails.
    Thats pretty weak I'm sure they have to be getting more for the jumbos..

I can't believe people are already taking proprietorship over the shrimp, typical
    bkmail--they only made it so you can drive through the tunnel in '02...should we change the name of the sound to bkmails weekend getaway?

Default Anybody who can sell them, PM me

I would be in the market for a few pounds.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Default More fuel for the fire...

CHRIS, and fullbush,

Not being greedy, just stating my opinion. I should have stated "our" shrimp as in the recreational users, my bad. It wasn't intentional to say "my".

Fullbush, I am a sloper, don't use the tunnel on the weekends. Also, have been accessing the Sound for allot longer than the tunnel has been in. I'd be more than happy to have you over and show you some videos of the way it was before the tunnel was opened. Not knocking progress, I enjoy seeing others out there. It has made it much cheaper to access the area and probably safer for many since there are allot of other people out there in the vicinity.

As for Powder monkeys comment, no one sells moose for a profit, thus his comment is irrelevant as usual. But I appreciate you chiming in...

As recreational fisherman we have invested the $ into equipment, spent time on the water "learning" our locations and techniques to gather these shrimp. We've reported to F&G the results of our harvests.
    Now they open up a commercial season with a quota...and apparently it must be met as Brian M. stated above.
    More and more users continue to access the Sound and F&G increased the pot usage from 5 to 8. Why can't F&G let the recreational guys reap the benefits of our labor for a while?

You see, unlike the salmon out there, the "for profit" shrimpers have contributed nothing to the "overabundance" of shrimp as F&G states. In fact, I'm guessing that the lack of commercial shrimping is directly related to the growing population of shrimp that are available to us recreational users.
    I would hate to see the #'s dwindle and the season closed again as it has in the past.

Looking forward to hearing your comments...nice discussion we are having.
    BK

C
    As recreational fisherman we have invested the $ into equipment, spent time on the water "learning" our locations and techniques to gather these shrimp. We've reported to F&G the results of our harvests.
    Now they open up a commercial season with a quota...and apparently it must be met as Brian M. stated above.
    More and more users continue to access the Sound and F&G increased the pot usage from 5 to 8. Why can't F&G let the recreational guys reap the benefits of our labor for a while?
    My parents started commercially fishing the Sound in '69 or '70. They have invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in boats and gear. They shrimped the Sound until the oil spill, and at that time had 250 pots and more buoys and ropes than I can count. When you speak of the $ that has been invested into equipment and time spent on the water learning the locations and techniques, understand that some have invested far more time and money than you.

Your shrimp, huh? Based on my parents' fishing history out there, should they instead be "their" shrimp? I would argue no. They can be allocated to both user groups as long as they are managed wisely.

Brian M.
    I hear your points again.
    Didn't your folks get a check from Exxon along with others for that accident, reimbursing them for thier potential lost revenue? I'm sure it wasn't enough of course, but I am not one to make a judgement on that situation. Others really bacame rich off the spill by turning thier boats towards clean up efforts vs. fishing. But thats an entirely different subject.
    If you look at Homer, Seward and Whittier there was commercail fisheries for both crab and shrimp at one time. Then the populations plummeted and everyone was forced to stop fishing until the #'s increased again.
    As stated earlier, I would hate to see the same thing happen again. Simply my opinion.
    BK

bkmail...please don't suggest that exxon checks took care of things (I kjnow you really weren't). At best, the lost commercial fishery income was not intended to be "for all eternity"...it was for the short- to mid-term. And, in any case, the judgement was reduced significantly thanks (heavy sarcasm) to the US Supreme Court. And, yes, some folks made some good money leasing their boats out during clean-up, but so what? That was never intended to be a form of spill compensation.

Non-commercial shrimp users (of which I have been) have had exclusive use of the PWS shrimp for what...8 years now? Now there's enough for commercial to get back in the game...and I think it's fair.

With the new management plan, non-commercial users (sport, PU and subsistence) are allocated 60% of the shrimp harvest. You want it all? Can you imagine what the reaction would be (rightfully so) if the shoe was on the other foot and the comm guys were demanding the whole pie to themselves?

I can undertsand the concern about wanting to avoid another crash...but I think things have been (and still are) pretty conservative.
    Last edited by MRFISH; 04-23-2010 at 22:04. Reason: clean up

Brian M.
    I hear your points again.
    Didn't your folks get a check from Exxon along with others for that accident, reimbursing them for thier potential lost revenue?
    Nope, they didn't. My father wasn't fishing at the time because he was a teacher, and thus didn't start shrimping until June. The way he explains it is that since he wasn't an active participant that year, he couldn't make a claim, even though he fished every other year. I would bet that if he pushed the issue that he could have been a part of the class action, but that opportunity is long past. They did hire their boat out for the clean up and made some income there, but that has nothing to do with whether this commercial shrimp fishery is justifiable or not. I brought up their fishing history because you mentioned the time and money that you have put into it. Simply pointing out that others have put in lots of time and money as well.

As stated earlier, I was giving the forum my thoughts and concerns on the extended season/quota. It's simply my opinion. Didn't want it turn into a Exxon debate.
    I'm done now, you've read my thoughts. I don't think there's much more to say from my end.
    BK

Does anyone else here think that the supposed "surplus" of shrimp ADFG reported may be directly linked to the personal use guys under-reporting their catches last year on their permit cards? I remember quite a bit of discussion last year on this very forum where guys were saying "report that you caught barely anything so ADFG thinks there's no shrimp!". It appears that ADFG did their own census of the shrimp population over the past few years via test-pots and came up with their own good number of the total population. Then they subtracted the skewed number that the PU guys sent in on their cards, and came up with an excess amount. I hate to say it, but I think the sport guys may have shot themselves in the foot on this one...

CHRIS, and fullbush,

Not being greedy, just stating my opinion. I should have stated "our" shrimp as in the recreational users, my bad. It wasn't intentional to say "my".

Fullbush, I am a sloper, don't use the tunnel on the weekends. Also, have been accessing the Sound for allot longer than the tunnel has been in. I'd be more than happy to have you over and show you some videos of the way it was before the tunnel was opened. Not knocking progress, I enjoy seeing others out there. It has made it much cheaper to access the area and probably safer for many since there are allot of other people out there in the vicinity.

As for Powder monkeys comment, no one sells moose for a profit, thus his comment is irrelevant as usual. But I appreciate you chiming in...

You see, unlike the salmon out there, the "for profit" shrimpers have contributed nothing to the "overabundance" of shrimp as F&G states. In fact, I'm guessing that the lack of commercial shrimping is directly related to the growing population of shrimp that are available to us recreational users.
    I would hate to see the #'s dwindle and the season closed again as it has in the past.

Looking forward to hearing your comments...nice discussion we are having.
    BK
    I don't need any videos on how the sound used to be. I saw it 1st hand. I was born there. I appreciate your stewardship of the resources but I'm pretty sure the biologists have a pretty good handle on the bio-mass or they wouldn't have opened it. Why not let people that aren't into boating or can't afford it enjoy some spot shrimp? The only way thats achieved is through commercial means. Oh and there has been commercial shrimp trawling for decades now. Get off your recreational high horse, you sound like an elitist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast