Thread: Uflex planetary steering system

Question Uflex planetary steering system

Anyone using or familiar with this system? They also have a no feedback which they call non-reversible. Thanks for any input.
    company url: http://uflexusa.ultraflexgroup.com/

I had a Uflex planetary unit on my 20' OB riverboat, I changed it because it was nearly 4 turns lock-to-lock. I installed a Teleflex 3 turn helm, it was a worthwhile improvement on a rivercraft.
    The Uflex was/is a quality item and the stanard cables will fit either helm, in my limited experience.

What type of a boat is the helm for?

I was told not to use a NFB Teleflex (non feed back or Uflex calls it nonreversing) in a jet powered boat. NFB style helms are designed to slip some to counteract steering torque w/ a prop. Slippage is not desirable in a jet boat and I dont think you have the amount of torque you would have w/ a prop.

Again, my experience is very limited, I am happy with the outcome, but I would call or e-mail both companies for a recomendation before I ordered something.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Thanks for the input. Would be going on a 20' Harvey dory. I'll give them a call as you suggest and see what they recommend. The few reviews I've read seem to be more favorable to the "regular" planetary as opposed to non reversible planetary. They pretty much say there's a measure increased stability without the "sticky resistance" of the non reversible unit....if that makes sense.

Gary,
    I may be wrong on how I am thinking and explaining the non reversible. It may only slip when the motor is trying to overcome the helm w/ torque?

I am unfamilar and dont want to steer you wrong, (wow, just realized what I said, pun not intended) I know I was advised against it on a jet boat.
    On your dory w/ a prop, it mat be the way to go?
    Let us know what you find out.
    John
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR