Thread: The problem with the Lion

Default The problem with the Lion

Quote Originally Posted by rivercat View Post
    Mr. Strahan (or anyone that might have a clue),

Just curious if you (anyone) happen to have a picture of your cat setup with motor? I've attempted (gave up) putting a motor on my Aire Lion raft, the shape of the tubes is not very conductive to motoring at all. In the Tanana I couldn't even get enough power to go upstream with a 40 jet on it, the bow would cause the water to cavitate so badly between the tubes that it would splash back into the boat and almost above the cowling on the motor.
    You are going to have HUGE issues with an outboard on the Lion. It's a big load hauler, but the bow will plow with a big load. Hate to say it, but I think it's the wrong hull for what you're trying to do. It's a barge. Same deal with the NRS cat that it was designed after.

You might get it to work with a skid plate between the tubes, but you have to seal the edge where it comes next to the tubes or you'll get a lot of spray through there. Also, if the skid plate is lower than the tubes, you've sort of defeated the purpose of having a cat, right? Might as well just get an 18' sport boat at that point.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default so much for having it all

As the title states, it was too much dreaming on my part (but i still love my lion tubes and will use them as long as they hold out, which seems lots longer than I'll be around, rugged suckers).
    Although I like my zodiac, it just doesn't server the utlitiy purpose of the cat. Guess I'll just switch as needed or situation merits.

I did use a "skid plate" on my 16' lion. I only run a 15 hp motor and had to deflate it slightly but once it was on step it did pretty good. unloaded of course. and mike, I know you hate the loin and love the old designs, but my jaguarundi was not much different

Default Comments on the Lion

Quote Originally Posted by highcountry View Post
    I did use a "skid plate" on my 16' lion. I only run a 15 hp motor and had to deflate it slightly but once it was on step it did pretty good. unloaded of course. and mike, I know you hate the loin and love the old designs, but my jaguarundi was not much different
    I probably mis-spoke on the Lion... I don't hate the boat. I just don't think it works as well with an outboard as the other designs featuring a gradual bow transition. I think an inflatable cat must be a planing hull, not a displacement hull. It has to be, because the tubes are round. I don't think AIRE is really fired up about the design either; they came up with it because Alaska Raft and Kayak was selling a lot of NRS cats and they wanted something to compete with. I believe almost all of the Lions AIRE makes are sold right here in Alaska.

Both boats plow like a barge because of the hull design. But there is absolutely no question that they carry a bigger load than any of the other cats out there. So from strictly a load capacity perspective, they win hands-down.

But when it comes to pushing one with an outboard or pulling one with oars, if you've got a big load, you've got a job of work on your hands.

Different boats for different purposes.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Default Aire Lion

you wrote" I believe almost all of the Lions AIRE makes are sold right here in Alaska."

Well, you'll see a fair amount on big western rivers like the Snake, Colorado, Salmon, Green etc. but overall the Jag is more popular.

Quote Originally Posted by whitewater View Post
    you wrote" I believe almost all of the Lions AIRE makes are sold right here in Alaska."

Well, you'll see a fair amount on big western rivers like the Snake, Colorado, Salmon, Green etc. but overall the Jag is more popular.
    Whitewater,

Glad to hear it. I was hearing that even some of the folks at AIRE really didn't like the boat much, but saw it as a necessity to compete with the NRS cat. That said, it's not too surprising that this boat would find a home on big water. For that purpose it might be interesting to see what they could do with a 20' tube. I've seen several custom AIRE cats over 20' that were built for large outboard situations, but a big-water long tube would be interesting.

As usual though, overloading is always the issue.

Regards,

-Mike