Thread: Fishing for kings

Default Fishing for kings

Whats going on guys? Originally posted this on bloodydecks.com and was directed this way for some good info.

Had a couple of questions for you boys about fishing kings around anchorage, river fishing only. I will be making a trip up there in the middle of june and need to get the low down on how to catch one of these bad boys. I have extensive experience in majority of fresh and saltwater species but this will be my first time to chase these guys.

Things I need to know....

I have a ton of different reels to choose from but was planning on taking a couple of Calcutta 700s that have been magged and can cast all kinds of rigs....good or bad choice?

All my reels are spooled with braid....I heard that this was alright as long as a clear mono leader was used....right or wrong? If right, how long of a leader is typical, #lb test, etc?

Need suggestions on rod length and action....I assuming like a 7-8ft, medium action - heavy action, all recommendations are welcome.

Lure suggestions? Types of rigs? etc...

Places to go around Anchorage....not looking for your secrete spot but just an area that would be better to try out then most.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated guys. This is kind of a trip of a life time for me and I am trying to use all the resources I have in order to capitalize on it. Going to be in the area June 15th-20th and will be camping 2-3 days somewhere 2-3 hours outside the city.

Thanks,
    -SA

theres only one place to catch kings in town- Ship Creek......while the fishing can at times be good, expect slow fishing and big crowds, alot of mud, some dangerous, some not. you can catch fish on a variety of setups like roe with a spin n glo or bobber, or a spinner, spoon, and even flies, and also plugs, try em all if you can. Use good stout line- 25-50lb test, more for the crowds than the fish, and use a medium heavy action rod. better to just go jump on a half day trip for kings on the kasilof or kenai rivers 3 hours south of anchorage. lots of better places to go north or south of anchorage.

Release Lake Trout

Technique varies greatly from river to river. My advice would be to get the heck out of Anchorage first of all. You can head North to the Valley or South to the Kenai Peninsula. There are several rivers in either direction, and as I said, the technique will really depend upon which place(s) you decide to fish.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Id head south for sure. The Valley has been pretty much fished out. Besides, the kings out there only get as big as a large trout anymore. Thats too bad your intent on fishing the rivers though, there are a few lakes down south that produce awesome king runs.

Default hard to say

Last yrs king run was a bust, but it hard to say what this year will bring. You could always combat fish the mouth of willow, or sheep creek. Also could walk the banks from the hwy on both. If you have acess to a boat or want to charter it would open up the little su or the deshka provide the fish are there.

I really appreciate all the info guys!

Any recommendations on a rod? I have been looking at a bunch of different Lamiglas rods. Looking for a two piece rated around 20-30lbs. I am looking to spend around a 100 bucks if I can get away with it. Will need to fit a Culcutta 700 spoiled with 80lb braid.

you can also fly out of Anchorage to a couple places across the inlet to fish for kings. That's what I do. Ship Creek is sometimes real fun to watch, when a tourist hooks a king. You also need to be aware that if someone is yelling fish on, get you gear out of the water because if you get tangled, you'll probably wind up with you line cut.

Leave your braided line at home when fishing Ship or any other place that has "combat" conditions.... 20-40lb mono is good enough!

If this is really a trip of a lifetime....I'd look into going across the inlet, I'm afraid you may be disappointed with what you find just wingin it for a short trip.

It may cost some money, but I doubt you'll forget the experience.

Keep in mind that if you end up fishing the Kenai, you could potentially hook up with a monster much bigger than 20-30 lbs. For the price, a beefy Ugly Stick is hard to beat.

Default Or.....

You could buy a lottery ticket ...same odds for minimal investment.

I agree with the bulk of the sentiment on here... don't limit yourself to ship creek.

There are lots of options north and south of Anchorage.

If you do not want to pay for a guide there are still better shore fishing options out there just a few short scenic hours away.

Its not that ship creek is the worst place in the world to fish... its just sooo crowded and overfished it SEEMS that way.
    Alaska Fishing Forums : They are my addiction!

Smile

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I am not going to be fishing ship creek exclusively, actually I would imagine that about one day will be dedicated to that location. My buddies and I are going to head either north or south a couple of hours and find a place to camp and fish a couple of days as well.

I have looked at ugly sticks and even own a 6'6" that I use to catch bait with down here. Nothing against them at all, great buy for the buck, but I am looking at purchasing a nicer rod for this trip...I will have a couple of uses for it down here as well . Anyone a fan of lamiglas or st. crioxs?

Also, going to try and do a halibut trip out of seward as well. Is the middle of june worth the money? Any recommendations on charters?

Thanks again guys.

-SA

Default about the same...

Lamiglas and St. Croix about the same quality in my experience, and similar in price, i might give the St. Croix a slight edge, still made in the USA I think, not sure about Lamiglas though...

Abu Garcia "Buzz Ramsey" model rods are a good buy for under $100...hard to find any of the better Lamiglas or St. Croix in the heavier rods for that price. If you have to save money, that 80# superbraid is OK, but if you are buying new line, I'd go with 35 or 50 lb., and a 12-30 or 15-40 lb rod for the bigger kings, lighter if you are not on the Kenai...

Mid to late June should be excellent for halibut if the weather lets you get out where they are....would beat the he** out of any of the combat fishing, IMO, especially at Ship Cr in Los Anchorage. If this is your first trip of a lifetime, it won't be your last IF you get out and away from the big city! Find a way to have a little more money and a little more time if possible, it will be worth whatever you can do...

I LOVE Ugly Stix and don't use much else. Lamiglass and St. Croix make some great rods but for the type of fishing I do you can't beat Ugly Stix. They're practically indestructible and they're great in so many different situations.

If you want to get some good fishing in try: www.crackerjackcharters.com