Thread: racor filter plumbing

Default racor filter plumbing

I bought the smallest racor that I could for my zodiac. I am not quite sure where I want to mount it or how to plumb it.

I am installing a 26 gallon fuel tank and might mount the filter on the transom. Does the pump ball go between the motor and the filter or the tank and the filter?

What I have found online says to plumb it to the vacum side of the fuel pump.......????

I'm in the same boat (pun intended ) as you are as I'm looking at installing a permanent top-side tank into my Avon RIB.
    I bought the Racor filter recently and was researching this topic as well. From what I could tell, the bulb is supposed to go between the filter and the motor, but some people did between the tank and the filter and it works just fine.
    What kind of tank are you installing? Plastic Moeller?

Mine are installed between the motor and the racor. It helps to prefill the racor with fuel, too.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I bought the smallest racor that I could for my zodiac. I am not quite sure where I want to mount it or how to plumb it.

I am installing a 26 gallon fuel tank and might mount the filter on the transom. Does the pump ball go between the motor and the filter or the tank and the filter?

What I have found online says to plumb it to the vacum side of the fuel pump.......????
    its a lot easier to push fluid thru a filter vs. pulling it, so I'd put the pump bulb before the filter. Which is probably why the weak link on most marine fuel injected engines are the fuel pumps. I know I carry a spare high and low pressure pump w/ me. Its the high pressure one that seems to go. (Keep in mind I'm talking about a GM 8.1 vortec, not an outboard) I hate it when it does Its usually the worst time

Default 26 gal moeller

I bought a 26 gallon Moeller from West Marinethiefs - - but actually their price was comparable to what I could get online by the time you pay shipping. In hindsight I should have used two 12 gallon tanks for half the price. Sporties has them 64$.

I think that I will put the bulb between the tank and the filter.......I don't have fuel injection (maybe next year a new 50hp 4 stroke will be in the mix).

-O- I hooked up my new Garmin 546S last night.......me likes.

Between the tank and the filter on my Achilles (40 gallon forward tank/Racor on transom).

Between tank and filter, As fullbush said it is eaiser to push the fuel than pull all the way to back to the motor.Than you won,t have to prefill the racor.It will work both ways, Just seem,s to be eaiser to have it closer to the fuel source.

You could put primer bulbs between both stretches if you wanted to... I had my boat like this when I put the tank in the bow and racor in the stern.. Just made sure both were hard before I tried starting, seemed to work good...

As I recall my primer is between the filter and the engine. My racor is plumbed to both a permanent 55 gal below deck tank, and has an additional line to run portable tanks. I haven't had any problems with the prime bulb pulling fuel through the filter.

I think where the bulb is located is less important than the bulb being installed so that the bulb is tilted upward (flow goes above horizontal). This will help the check valves in the bulb seat correctly when you squeeze it. No problems pulling fuel through the racors on my boat.

Default tank/filter

I put it about 6 inches from the tank. Then another 6 feet to the filter then 2 feet to the motor.

Works great.

Timely thread. I just rebuilt three carbs suffering the results of water in the fuel. There's a band new Racor sitting on the seat of my truck. I've got an open skiff and loose skiff cans, so it's going on the transom. Following the advice of my mechanic, the bulb will be in the conventional position close to the tank.

Anybody worry about the plastic drain valve on the bottom of the cannister? Looks like a dandy thing to break off when mounted out in the open like on my transom.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Timely thread. I just rebuilt three carbs suffering the results of water in the fuel. There's a band new Racor sitting on the seat of my truck. I've got an open skiff and loose skiff cans, so it's going on the transom. Following the advice of my mechanic, the bulb will be in the conventional position close to the tank.

Anybody worry about the plastic drain valve on the bottom of the cannister? Looks like a dandy thing to break off when mounted out in the open like on my transom.
    I have never broken any of the 3 on our boats and stuff gets packed around them all the time.

Good to know. Thanks. I always carry a spare fuel line, so even if it happened I wouldn't be stranded.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Never broke a drain, but I have seen a lot of the Rubber?? seats in the Racor's go bad after a year or two. They will just start leaking for no apparent reason, always at the most inopportune time. Now days, I replace the entire drain bowl EVERY time I replace the filter cartridge.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I'm a bit confused with why you would change the entire bowl. The replacement filters I've bought had both the flat gasket (to go between filter and bracket) and the round o-ring (to got between bowl and filter) packed with the new filter. Shouldn't be a problem with a leak between the bowl and new filter if you change the o-ring with each annual filter change.

Default Metal valve and bowls

If your worried about that plastic drain valve, there are ways to swap it out for the older conventional metal ones.. I did this and also got the metal bowl for the bottom of the filter. Most of the ones now come with the clear plastic bowl, its nice that you can see whats in there, but I drain mine before and mid trip (if im on a long one) and the metal ones are definately tougher for taking on and off..