Thread: snowmachine wheels

Default snowmachine wheels

Has anybody tried these for summer riding:
    http://www.skiwheelz.com/

I have a 1 mile commute to work, and during the winter I use my snowmachine...I'd like to ride it year long without heavily modifying it. I wish they made a kit with inflated tires instead of plastic ones, but I couldn't find one anywhere.

Would kill a track and slides in short order.....just ask the Iron Doggers. The other problem is cooling if liquid cooled.

Looks pretty easy to change to a pnuematic tire if desired. For that matter why not build your own set. Remove skis and replace with a design like they use in drag racing but with larger pnuematic wheel barrow tires.

Default tires

I don't really have the tools/supplies/ability to build my own set yet. This summer I'd like to experiment a little and try to come up with a decent system.
    Since the commute is just 1 mile on a paved road, I'm thinking I should be alright w/ the existing cooling system. Speed will be constant right around 20 mph. The machine is a 2009 Yamaha Viking Professional w/ a 973cc liquid cooled engine (roughly an 800 lb machine).
    So the pavement would significantly degrade the track? I was a little worried about that...guess I won't really know until I try.

Default i would think

the pavement will eat your track like a fat man at a buffett resturant

Release Lake Trout

Default atv tracks

I'm not too familiar with other tracked vehicles - are the ATV tracks/truck tracks/Argo tracks built differently to withstand the pavement? I see them running around a lot in the summer.

i dont believe they are meant for roads, they are meant for off roading, such as tundra and softer ground. your not even supposed to ride 4 wheelers on pavement, if you look thru the owners manual....it can really harm your machine.

Release Lake Trout

Default Jake-

Riding an ATV on pavement won't hurt it. You just wont have much control on hard surfaces with a tire that has big bumps and a round cross-section. The only harm that could happen is to the driver himself (theoretically speaking, that is).

Riding a snowmachine on bare ground will hurt it, however. That is, unless you have an old Elan or the like with bogies.

Default wear

sayak - what specifically will it hurt? I'm sure it won't be good for the slides...but those are wear items anyway and I'd probably end up replacing them before our early winter starts. The more I think about it, track should hold up fine, won't it?
    I ended up ordering the wheel kit, I'll definitely report back after a week or so of riding.

Default As mentioned by several...

Quote Originally Posted by kotzebue View Post
    sayak - what specifically will it hurt? I'm sure it won't be good for the slides...but those are wear items anyway and I'd probably end up replacing them before our early winter starts. The more I think about it, track should hold up fine, won't it?
    I ended up ordering the wheel kit, I'll definitely report back after a week or so of riding.
    Your soft track, made for soft snow, will get eaten up in short order. Your slides will get so hot they will melt to your guides the moment you stop. If liquid cooled you will over heat. Control will be minimal.

might be better to just walk that mile............take ya what? 15 minutes tops?

Sayak, thanks for correcting me, ive just always heard that is bad on the machine to ride on pavement, therefore ive never done it

Release Lake Trout

Spring riding on morning snow is hard on sled track paddles, pavement and or dirt will chew them up on a heavy machine. Slides will be toast in a matter of a few weeks. Cooling should not be an issue for a 1 mile trip. I just can't justify the extra costs and wear and tear for a machine that I use heavily in the proper season. That track is got to be close to a grand with shipping to replace.

Default transportation

Thanks for all the advice! I have other modes of transportation, this was just sort of a novelty idea. At the least, this wheel kit may extend my riding time by a few weeks...but I don't think I'll be riding down the street mid July.

Quote Originally Posted by kotzebue View Post
    Has anybody tried these for summer riding:
    http://www.skiwheelz.com/

I have a 1 mile commute to work, and during the winter I use my snowmachine...I'd like to ride it year long without heavily modifying it. I wish they made a kit with inflated tires instead of plastic ones, but I couldn't find one anywhere.
    Go to www.hardcoresledder.com and do an advanced search, username PatrioticInnovations. He makes a kit that uses tires on all four corners.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Nitro...

I was just going to post, that you could probably make an nice monoshock swing arm, usin' a belt driven axel under the tunnel & tundra tires as the tires, and something on the front a lil' smaller than tundra tires...

& gone it, ya need to create a log in to find any search requests...

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    I was just going to post, that you could probably make an nice monoshock swing arm, usin' a belt driven axel under the tunnel & tundra tires as the tires, and something on the front a lil' smaller than tundra tires...

& gone it, ya need to create a log in to find any search requests...

Here is the link to the post you are looking for

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forum...1&st=0&start=0

Default Awesome!

That touring on the bottom is pretty much what I had in mind, or the one on the trailer with four wheels...