Thread: Klutina/Copper River area?

Default Klutina/Copper River area?

My wife and I are driving to the kenai area from Oregon in late June. We have some time to explore and would like to fish sockeye on the Klutina or Copper. Any information on access, areas to hang out and camp (27' fifthwheel), and places to fish for two or three days would be appreciated.

The Klutina and Copper is about 300 mi from Kenai. The Copper is a swift glacial river that is pretty much a dipnet or subsistence fishery for Alaska residents only. The Klutina is a tributary of the Copper and can offer some good sport fishing. If you're going to Kenai your best bet is to hook up w/ a guide on the Kenai river, or go to the Russian river which is a tributary of the Kenai

Sorry Fullbush. Guess I didn't make myself clear. I usually spend 6-8 weeks fishing fresh and salt water on the Kenai Pennusila. We are bringing up a fifth wheel to put on some property at Sterling. Just thought because we had some time that we would explore and fish a new area. Sounds like the Klutina might offer some sportfishing opportunities.

Klutina does have some great fishing..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Klutina fishing is excellent. There are numerous campgrounds that offer RV parking along the river (3 actually). Klutina Campground and Groves are my two favorites. They are both nice places to stay at, and both places offer charters if that is what your interested in. You can even get wifi on your laptop if you don't want to miss out on any news/forum posts...

Do a search on this forum, there is definitely tons of information..

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Sounds like either of the two campgrounds would be a good place to hang out. I've found out that the RV parks give you a great opportunity to meet new people and catch up on the latest fishing news. Thanks for the information.

I'm really looking to fish sockeye and not Kings. Do you use the standard weight, leader, fly set up that we use on the Kenai?

Quote Originally Posted by Oralaska View Post
    Sounds like either of the two campgrounds would be a good place to hang out. I've found out that the RV parks give you a great opportunity to meet new people and catch up on the latest fishing news. Thanks for the information.

I'm really looking to fish sockeye and not Kings. Do you use the standard weight, leader, fly set up that we use on the Kenai?
    Yep, the Kenai Flip is the ticket on this river...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Swift river

The Klutina is an awesome river! Dont let that fish get into that current though, my buddy ended up respooling his reel after a spunky red got into the current and headed out. Absolutely a great river and camping facilities.... Tight lines and sharp hooks

Default Old thread revival

Here is a thread on Klutina Reds from a couple years ago. Should have some good info.

Flip, drift, repeat...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=32613