Thread: 18' hwescraft sportsman ??

Default 18' hwescraft sportsman ??

Anyone running this boat for fishing?Wondering how they handle some bigger water on the big lakes and ocean inlets?Looks like a deep wide hull.

thanks

Check this link out. It contains much of the input you are looking for, but is regarding a 20' Sportsman rather than the 18'. Essentially the same boat though...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=77686

Really depends on what motor you have. I have a 20' sportsman with the 200 Sportjet and love it. I run out of Whittier all the time. Does great in the big water. I do have to pay attention to the weather and be smart about it, but it's a great running boat.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    Really depends on what motor you have. I have a 20' sportsman with the 200 Sportjet and love it. I run out of Whittier all the time. Does great in the big water. I do have to pay attention to the weather and be smart about it, but it's a great running boat.

Rob
    That is a great power package for the 20' Sportsman. It's the ones with single 50's on the back that seem sketchy on the salt.

I have an 18ft Sportsman (1st boat) with a 75hp Yamaha. I use it for photography in the waters around Juneau. My boat experience is pretty limited but it seems to do OK in light chop and swells (altho I wouldn't want to push my luck). Also, I should have budgeted a larger engine - IMO with the 75 it's under powered. Get at least a 90hp or it'll handle up to a 115hp, which would be even better. If I decide to keep it and not upgrade to something a bit larger/beefier, I'll certainly be upgrading the engine.

Cheers!

I bought an 18' sportsman new in 2006. I powered it with a 115 yammy, and I love it. I still have to pick my days, but I have gotten caught in some big water and it handled it well. If I had it to do over again, I would get a sea-runner.