Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giant Groundhog...saw my shadow!!

Default Giant Groundhog...saw my shadow!!

Well i guess the words out...so heres the skinny.
    did over 1000 miles these past two weeks up north of the denali hwy with alpine creek lodge (great place, great people, good times) looking for grizz. i cut two sets of tracks, one really nice bear that headed south into the timber, never to be seen again.
    the second up in the mtns, we pushed him with the snowmachines one day on accident and thats how we found him, he climbed the mtn and hide in the rocks. next day we headed back in (30 miles), found the den and he had returned to it and was goofin' off.
    we hiked on snowshoes and our old snogo trail for 2.5 miles so we didn't spook him again, got within 270 yards, crusty loud snow and brush. Client dropped him with his .416, he rolled right over the den and died 20 yards below it.

he squared out at 8.5 foot, not sure on the skull, hair was incredible, looked like he'd been out a couple days at the most. only den we saw, only bear we saw.

Thought the view was pretty cool, so i snapped a quick pic while Dan the lucky hunter was snappin' some himself!

SNOW CONDITIONS..everyones asking..the last three days its melted ALOT, alot of overflow, standing water, creeks are open and snow level has dropped probably at least a good foot or more in two days.
    down low near the road its getting super brushy, but not enough ground for a ATV, but the snows getting punchy for the machines. if you do head out, i'd have a mt machine with some horsey power, a 550f or tunrda ain't gonna make it. i was on a 600 with a long track and had to break trail for the tundra we had. but that in creates some over heating issues with snow conditions in the morning after a freeze, hard trail and a bad crust on the snow..
    the next two weeks are gonna be funky, but also gonna be a good time for start looking for more bears.
    mt machine, some brush bustin', maybe some water skipping an glassing...get back into the valleys into the better snow and watch for avalanches, they have started back in there. its beautiful place..had a riot.
    no wolf tracks anywhere...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

awesome brwnbr nice job! beautiful bear too!

Release Lake Trout

Nice bear Jake, congrats.

Default Very NICE!

Great photos, nice story. Congrats. Well done! That bear is drop dead gorgeous! Sure hope you have more stories for us.

Wow, that is a pretty bear. I can't wait to get me one.

Great job Jake, great looking griz.

Good job bro, thats a great looking bear!!!!!!

Awesome Jake! Here's how that spot looked on the 20th of Feb. We must have ran right over the den
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

SWWWEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTT!

Jake does it again!

Nice work, I bet you have one very happy client!

Congrats!

Chris

Default Nice

Proof positive that winter is on it's last legs and BRWNBR is still the man

Thumbs up

Way Good. Glad you got him, before he had a chance to take a moose down.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Congratulations, 1000 miles in those conditions is a lot of WORK, and expensive. If you got 10 Miles per Gallon, which is not likely, about $500.00 per machine just for fuel. Congratulations again on a job well done.

Thumbs up Jake, our hero!

Thanks to Jake for taking a chance and coming to stay with us with his clients!! Really great to see success in our area, as I know there are lot of bears, and not a lot of hunters. The moose appreciate Jake and Dan's work out there!

Jake is surpisingly a heckuva nice guy! We really had a great time with him out there! He does have some superior knowledge of bears, even though he has some trouble discerning between a caribou tracks and a bear tracks!

Come on up and get a few more of that bears buddies!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default Awesome Hunt and Photos

Congrats again to Jake and whoever is lucky enough to be his partner on a hunt. Those sure are some sweet photos and the hair on that bear does look exceptional.

Again, congrats and thanx for sharing with all of us.

Thumbs up

Nice one Jake !!

Looks like you were getting close to the high ice fields.

Default Great Job!

Nice pictures and great bear!

Talking Awesome!!!

What a beautiful interior bear...your success is obviously from the knowledge and effort you put into your craft...good on ya!!!

AZinAK

Default You have been annointed...

the high protector of moose of the Denali highway area for this spring. Stand and be recogonized! Great bear.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Jake

Agreed! Jake has singlehandedly fed a lot of Alaskan families with that hunt!

Still a ton more bears to be had, and the highway is open at least to the lodge, and a ways beyond. I'm hoping to get lucky this weekend.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Great Job Jake!!! Not only did you lead Dan to a great bear, you have 7 year old Little Bob walking around asking the question "Do you need a tag to hunt bear?". He is also insisting to drink out of your happy cup that you used all week. You have become a hero not only to Denalihunter but to Little Bob too!!
    Get Lost! (and like it!) Come to Alpine Creek Lodge! http://www.alpinecreeklodge.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast