Thread: Kodiak Late June

Default Kodiak Late June

So I'm thinking of taking the Ferry to Kodiak for a few days during the last days of June, and want to spend a couple days exploring/fishing... If I brought a little zodiak would I be able to find remote places to camp near the beach? What about road access fishing and fly-fishing? Zodiak accessible fishing? Any advice would be great.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default try F&G

There is a lot of land "supposedly" locked up by the native Corps, you might try calling F&G about where you can camp, get a map of land useage/ownership, maybe online somewhere

Otherwise I like the Zodiac idea a LOT, did a lot of this when I was younger and it is THE WAY to see Kodiak, by water,

Remote beaches everywhere, Good Idea, Gonna Have a Blast
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Thanks - what kind of fishing can I expect during late June? Both saltwater and road-accessible freshwater stuff?
    www.akfishology.com

Lots of dollies in streams. Probably could run into silvers in the salt. They would be a blast to catch as hard as they fight in the salt. Shallow rock piles with a type 6 sinking line and you could catch ling cod, rockfish and halibut. Probably a little tough to do in a zodiak though.

Have fun!
    I love fishing in Kodiak

Default Saltwater Shallows in June

Don't know much about the freshwater, or even Salmon but, I do know, "that is the perfect time for the Halibut to be up in the shallows," like real shallow 7 Fathoms. And you will find those old Black Back Reef soakers moving around across the reefs looking for your bait, like crazy. I think that is the Best time for those Big Halibut. A Zodiac should work good for ocean rockpile fishing as they are so stable but watch what you do with the Gaff Hook (just kidding), bring it at all costs, you'll not be satisfied on the road system looking out at the saltwater, and all you "could have done" out there.

I actually think you'll catch so many you can be choosy which ones you want, let the really big ones go, don't break your back and they don't taste as good as 40-80 pounders (Also they are the big Mamas), good for the future to let them go after bringing them up, If you can. Have a camera ready and take a picture while they lay alongside your little boat, as good as the dead one on the pole in the harbor that a lot of people know aren't the best tasting anyway.

Also Lingcod, Black Rockfish are up on rockpiles heavy in late June, look for what I call "Ten Fathom Humps" which look like a small blue circle on nautical charts. They are Usually but not always close to the shore. That blue is the ten fathom line mark on the chart and if it is in a small circle you have a "Pinnacle" there. ALL KINDS of life around them, especially active during slack tide. bring even a small GPS unit to find what you look up at night on your chart if fishing in a small open skiff.

Oh also I wouldn't over worry about the land use stuff. I don't think any one will mess with you camping just behind the beach. Get the map though just to know what's going on there, as well as F&G's opinion
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Thanks for all the info so far. Any additional specifics for road-system fly fishing? Like specific creeks, etc and what I might find in them? Any Chum around that early? We don't get many serious Chum runs on the Peninsula. I'm not into the Russian River, Ship Creek kind of scene at all, so please don't steer me in that kind of direction... I'm much more into rural clear water streams that are a little more technical, and anything with trout/dollies would be awesome. Not sure if that exists on the Kodiak road system, but that's why I'm asking. I'm leaning towards one day driving around and 2-3 days exploring the salt and camping.
    www.akfishology.com

hap

Check with the Troopers on recent vandalism problems... Last year it was horrible. Lots of rigs suffered lots of damage. The year before I even had a tire slashed while I was in the rig!

The Natives are shutting down lots of land and will be demanding trespass fees. Word has it they are going to shut down the American and the Olds access unless the fees are paid.

Lingcod will not be open for possession until July 1.

Later is better for the biggest halibut in the shallowest water, but this year may be a little ahead of most due to the higher average temps this winter. They are doable on fly gear.

Reds will be there at Pasagshak, and Saltery Creek is not too far by small raft on good days with minimal lump.

Dungies are available in shallow water off Pasagshak, in water shallow enough for hand pulling small pots.

Dollies will mostly be off the beaches and not really into the creeks quite yet. July 4 is a reliable time for them to be in the creeks. Scuds, battle creeks, and thunder creeks are my favorite flies for Kodiak. The scuds because one year we had trouble with the dollies biting and found they were all eating sea lice, and only sea lice...
    art

Unhappy Trespass Fees

Anyone know for sure what the natives are doing to restrict access to the American and Olds? How about the road to Saltry?

Default Some links

Here's some links to maps of Leisnoi lands and other private land as well as the easements to state land behind it, pretty good detail (scroll to top of page if the map comes up first to see detail on easements and campsites, I was just out to Pasagshak today and the easements are marked by DNR with yellow signs so there are actually campsite areas and paths tho hard to find in spring, they are there), It's Not All Locked Up Anyway, whew

Turns out I was just looking this up last night and found these, not very pretty, but the land use permit is $120 so may worth getting one

http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/planning/e...pdf/kod_c2.pdf

http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/planning/e...pdf/kod_c1.pdf

http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/planning/e...pdf/kod_c3.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post

Turns out I was just looking this up last night and found these, not very pretty, but the land use permit is $120 so may worth getting one
    If I recall correctly, they're only $60 a year if you're not going to hunt.

I've spent over $120 a night for a rotten hotel room in Anchorage summer rates. Even in winter, you're waaaaaay down the quality scale if you can find a room for $60.

Makes a year of land access seem like a downright bargain when you figure what else you could use the money for.

Default Leisnoi's site info

Here's what I found by Leisnoi themselves, not sure but it does look like $120 for "any" public access to their land

I agree, that is a Really Good Deal tho, was out driving past it all this morning, That's a phenomenal bunch of land for that price. You might call them to get detail on "Just Fishing, or Camping vs. Hunting," etc.

http://www.gokodiakalaska.com/html/a...rmits.php?b=82

Wink

Mark,
    Ditto what Al said about the salt water scene.
    There are 3 separate camp grounds run by the state. Fort Abercrombie State Park, Buskin River State Park and Pasagshak State Recreationa Area. There are numerous lakes around the road system that are stocked with rainbows and/or land-locked cohos, some require a bit of a hike and others you can drive to. Check at the ADF&G office in town and they can give you a detailed list with a map.
    For streams, the Buskin will have reds, the Pasagsak will be picking up, the reds peak there the first week in July. Trout fishing in the streams can be a little hit or miss in June. The Dollies head for saltwater in late April-May to fatten up. But it's worth checking out the Buskin, above the highway bridge, as well as the Olds, the American, and the Russian Crk, also all above the bridge. Another place to try is the mouths of the rivers and along the shore lines adjacent. An assortment of the usual trout flies, along with some egg patterns and/or beads, as well as streamers resembling juvenile salmon (smolt/fry) should have you covered.
    Whilst fishing can get crowded at times on the Buskin and Pasagsak, if you pick your times, it's nowhere near combat fishing on the Kenai.
    Good luck, hope you enjoy your time on Kodiak,
    Jim