Thread: Savage 116 Alaskan guide .375

Default Savage 116 Alaskan guide .375

Has anyone ever heard of one of these? I have found a nib for $600 stainless, synthetic stock 20" barrel. The 20" barrel is whats putting me off. Thanks

never had one, but i think you'd really like the short barrel, i cut down my .338 to 21 inches and buddy of mine cut his 375 down to 19" and my current .416 is on a 22 and i wish it was shorter. short barrels are really handy when you start to carry them around, chances are you won't notice any difference in accuracy but you will notice a differnce in carrying it.
    much nicer
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    ...but i think you'd really like the short barrel, i cut down my .338 to 21 inches and buddy of mine cut his 375 down to 19" and my current .416 is on a 22 and i wish it was shorter. short barrels are really handy when you start to carry them around, chances are you won't notice any difference in accuracy but you will notice a differnce in carrying it.
    much nicer
    Did you get your barrels cut here locally Jake? I have a .338 Win. Mag. that I'm considering having cut. The barrel is way too long for my liking.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Default savage 116

I own 2 of these 116's, 1 is 7Rem Mag, the other is 300 MAg. I didn't know they made it in .375. I have been very pleased with both of these guns. never had a single a problem.

Default Savage .375 Alaska guide

There is a few posts about these in the forums. Bought mine last summer, added a muzzle break and recoil pad because it is brutal on the shoulder. Mine was very accurate out of the box.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...5+savage+guide

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...5+savage+guide

I bought one at Mountain View Sports the day after Thanksgiving. I paid $450 for it, NIB. I mounted a Nikon 2-7x in a set of Warne QR rings (I needed to get the offset front base from Brownells for this short scope).

After the first firing, I swapped out the factory recoil pad with a Limbsaver, and that helped take some of the sting out of the lightweight rifle. I also adjusted the factory trigger to take out the creep and lighten the pull a bit. It's a fairly crisp 5-pounds now, and that's fine with me.

I am impressed with the accuracy of the rifle. I'll shoot 300gr Hornady Interbonds and Nosler Accubonds into an inch or so at 100 yards. I didn't think that was too shabby for a $450 plain-jane rifle. This is a rifle I can use as a "tool" and not feel guilty if it gets banged up. For this purpose, it's perfect!

Shorter barrels usually increase accuracy - but you loose some velocity - though not much :P