Thread: crooked creek kings

Default crooked creek kings

Looking at fishing the Crooked Creek rec site this year for some early kings. Any advice on the best bait/tackle set up for fishing here from the bank??

I went down there and while everyone fished yarn and picked at them I put on a spin glo about the size of a nickel and a weight about 2 feet in front and caught 4 nice kings in about 5 hours. I gave several spin glos away to anyone that asked that evening. 3 were wild fish and the last was hatchery so I finally got a keeper.

Default In the slacker water...

... some folks float eggs over weight.

I use an egg loop hook with a few beads and a piece of yarn.

Be prepared for shoulder-to-shoulder fishing, though it gets better on week days and the farther down river you go.

Please be one of the few who picks up their trash.

Caught my first king ever in 1986 at Crooked Creek when it was a narrow tote road. Used a 3" red/white bucktail fly with a pencil lead on a cheap spinning rod set up. I'll remember that day with all minor details forever.

Don't forget that up until May 15th it's "single hook, artificial lure" only. After May 15th my favorite is a gob of eggs over a weight about 15 ft. out from shore. I have an addiction for that feeling as a big old king comes up and mouths the eggs for a second and then grabs them.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... some folks float eggs over weight.

I use an egg loop hook with a few beads and a piece of yarn.

Be prepared for shoulder-to-shoulder fishing, though it gets better on week days and the farther down river you go.

Please be one of the few who picks up their trash.
    Might be too late to ask, but I was planning on heading over to the crooked creek campground tuesday & wednesday for some steelhead. I fished the crooked/kasilof confluence 2 years ago in mid April and there were <10 people fishing at any given time. I dont really care about hooking up a king and I want a quiet, relatively uncrowded river to fish in and its been long time since I've had a day off, you know? Am I too late this year that it's going to be a crowd scene?

Default Couldn't tell you about steelies...

... I'm more of a meat fisherman, and don't fish for what I can't (potentially) eat. But there are many on this board who know that river well, and I've heard tell that they catch steelhead as they are out-going this time of year.

My question was more concerned with the number of other anglers fishing the river right now. Have you observed crowds greater than 10 fishing the confluence on a week day? I saw that you said weekdays aren't as bad, but you're freaking me out with the 'shoulder to shoulder' bit. That's the kind of fishing I want to avoid.

Default Don't know about crowds right NOW...

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish6025 View Post
    My question was more concerned with the number of other anglers fishing the river right now. Have you observed crowds greater than 10 fishing the confluence on a week day? I saw that you said weekdays aren't as bad, but you're freaking me out with the 'shoulder to shoulder' bit. That's the kind of fishing I want to avoid.
    ... but traditionally, it is never crowded until Mem. day Weekend, and the crowding is due to king salmon not steelhead.
    However....
    Steelies are becoming more popular, it seems, and the peninsula's rivers are getting a workout (some would say overworked) by the steelie fans. If I go out there in the next few days I will give a report. I think I could safely say that, even with steelie fishermen there, it will never be shoulder-to-shoulder as it is with the king fishermen, and some of those fishing for steelhead will be in drift boats anyway. And yeah, week days are always far less crowded than weekends even during the early king run.

Thanks for your response. I just got back from the river and had a blast. It was none too crowded, I talked to alot of nice people and caught a few fish. No pics- the 30"-er slipped out of my hands before another fisherman could get a shot off with my camera....not that I'll be forgetting that fish ever...