Thread: Best Marine Deep Cycle Battery

Default Best Marine Deep Cycle Battery

I need to get a new deep cycle battery to run my electric trolling motor and other electronics. I was thinking of the optima. Any other suggestions out there?

Quote Originally Posted by AlcanRon View Post
    I need to get a new deep cycle battery to run my electric trolling motor and other electronics. I was thinking of the optima. Any other suggestions out there?
    I love Optima batteries, can't go wrong but they are spendy. I replace all my batteries with them eventually except for the auxillary power to the Motorhome. For that I use two Alaskan Gold 6 volts. They make an awesome battery but they are heavy.

unless they have changed they are not a true deep cyle battery and more of a starting battery. plus for their size they have less amps then a similar true deep cycle battery which is more for a trolling motor

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/

Batteries Plus in Anchorage and Wasilla carry them.

If you’re just looking for a name brand battery just pick one, there all about the same. If you wanting a battery to run your trolling motor for long time and not have to replace it every year, your going have to do some homework to pick the very best battery for your application. Do you know how long you want to run the motor before recharging? This will help to determine the battery size. Your manual should give suggestions as to what they recommend.

One other thing use a charger that the battery manufactures recommends for a deep discharge battery, to insure maximum performance. This is very important if you do not want to replace your battery every year or two.

I just bought new batteries from Battery PLus in Wasilla. I couldn't bring myself to spend what they wanted for an Odyssey plus they were to small I needed 8D's I ended up w/ Excides. the starting battery has 1300 cold cranking amps and I got a deep cycle for my house...For the both I think it was like 470.00. I hooked them up and my volt meter was at like 13.5 on both of them.

I also got tons of great advice from the members

Battery plus also sells the "lifelines". I put one onboard 2 years ago to run the pot puller. I went with the lifeline for it's claim of reduced gassing. Since the battery is mounted in the cabin, it made sense to go that way.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by AlcanRon View Post
    Optima is a good choice. But if you do go lead-acid the ones manufactured by Johnson Control Group are very good batteries. For the most part, you will find those at Costco, Walmart, some of the Napa Batteries, and probably a lot of others. When I worked in a battery shop in Spokane, that is all we bought to sell. They make a very good battery for a good price.

Smile go figure...

Trying to find the best deep cycle battery is confusing to me. I have read "expert" reviews, checked manufactures web pages and checked other boating forums. I am still confused!

OK here is a question. I have a little 12v trolling motor now that I am going to take the grandkids out fishing on the local lakes in a 12' jon boat. I only need a battery that will give me 4-5 hours between charges. What is the cheapest I can get away with? Costco, Wallmart? We're on a major buget these days...

Sears Platinum, both a starting and deep cycle. Comes with a 3 year free replacement warranty. Not prorated, free replacement. Best battery I've ever used in my life.
    Tennessee

In order to figure out what size battery you need, we need to know how many amps per hour your battery uses. You should find that information in your manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    OK here is a question. I have a little 12v trolling motor now that I am going to take the grandkids out fishing on the local lakes in a 12' jon boat. I only need a battery that will give me 4-5 hours between charges. What is the cheapest I can get away with? Costco, Wallmart? We're on a major buget these days...

I'd go with Costco's Marine/RV battery. Keep in mind that the battery charger is vital to the life of the battery. A good one will cost as much or more than the battery itself.