Thread: Whittier halibut

Default Whittier halibut

Has anyone caught any halibut out of Whittier yet this year? We were out on Tuesday morning, set pots in Piget and fished for a bit over off Ester but cut it short because of the weather. Only pulled up 10 shrimp and had one nibble from what felt like a rock fish. I am bound and determined not to get skunked out of Whittier this year. Going to try and make it down to Eshamy or Main bay on Saturday if the weather looks good.

Most people don't get a Halibut out of Whittier no matter what time of year it is... They are tough to find out there. I don't think there will be many fish yet, there isn't many Halibut up Cook Inlet yet but out there on the edge of the Gulf could be different.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default them butts are out there

Seems they follow the salmon in so if you want halibut early you’ll most likely have to run 70 or 80 miles out to catch them. We pulled in our limit of 6 last July in under an hour 60 miles out anchored in 100 feet; nothing big but if we threw back the little guys we could have got a 40lb average. Went back to the same spot 4 weeks later and didn’t get a bite. I know for a fact someone pulled in a nice one in Passage Canal last year, in a spot you would never guess held 100 pounders.
    This will be our 3rd season out of Whittier, we got skunked on Halibut our first.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Most people don't get a Halibut out of Whittier no matter what time of year it is... They are tough to find out there. I don't think there will be many fish yet, there isn't many Halibut up Cook Inlet yet but out there on the edge of the Gulf could be different.

Nope, not a single halibut out of Whittier, none. Don't go there.
    Seriously, halibut aint that hard to catch, you just need to know how to read a chart. Now granted I am a stud fisherman and have been on the water my whole life but it really aint that hard.

These guys were caught last year no more than a couple hour run from town. A 240 and 120 ~ same drift.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Nice fish and boat.

I heard someone caught a couple out by Eshamy a few weeks ago, so we'll try there first. I was just wondering if anybody had any luck this early on the north west side of Knight Island.

We might try and jig for some winter kings while we're at it. I have never caught one of those either. Any tips?

Default The Locals will hate me!

18 years ago I was shown a place to Halibut fish "out of Whittier" where you could still talk to people on shore if you wanted to!
    While there working on a large pump at the gov. fuel facuility (when it still operated), I was asked if i'd like to go halibut fishing after work. Being kind of new to the area I jumped at the chance. After we got off I went to the harbour with my host and got into a boat that was so little our knees almost touched. Right away this made me a little apprehensive but what the heck, off we went. Well, we barely got out of the harbour and turned right in against the shore at "the secret spot" and let our lines down. Let our lines down is kind of an understatement as we were fishing in 400 ft of water.
    We caught a couple chickens but the guys in the next boat over, a regular yacht (12 ft Lund) directly pulled up a 150 pounder. Then they realized they had brought the pistol but no bullets, you can imagine what a show that was as they killed the thing with an oar.
    During my conversations with my host he pointed out the pump head on the sea wall and explained that it came from the processing plant to the right. He also told me the pipe from the pump came offshore about 400 ft and just dumped all the cleanings out right about where we were fishing!
    The years have slipped away and I've never went back to try for Halibut there but I can't imagine anything has changed. I'm sure you'd have a fair chance during the time their running any kind of fish thru the processing plant.
    Let me know how you do if you give this a try.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Nope, not a single halibut out of Whittier, none. Don't go there.
    Seriously, halibut aint that hard to catch, you just need to know how to read a chart. Now granted I am a stud fisherman and have been on the water my whole life but it really aint that hard.

These guys were caught last year no more than a couple hour run from town. A 240 and 120 ~ same drift.

I didn't say there weren't fish out there, I just said they are harder to find for most people.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Whitter halibut is tough unless you run far out. Once people find a honey hole they ar very tight lip about it.
    Salomon areas is a good place to start looking at and pinicals
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I didn't say there weren't fish out there, I just said they are harder to find for most people.

I know, and I hope everyone beleives it! Like the old Yogi Berra saying, "nobody goes there anymore, its too crowded".
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

there isn't many Halibut up Cook Inlet yet but out there on the edge of the Gulf could be different.
    I guess I've gotten lucky. I've limited out everyone I've taken out into Kachemak Bay for halibut for the last month. The bigger ones are starting to head in now, too. I got a nice 44 incher just last week.

I have only fished out of Whittier a couple of times, but I did catch a few decent halibut out there in the Perry Is. and Culross areas without having to fish the 300 to 400 ft. some people go to.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I guess I've gotten lucky. I've limited out everyone I've taken out into Kachemak Bay for halibut for the last month. The bigger ones are starting to head in now, too. I got a nice 44 incher just last week.

Have you fished outside of the bay? Or are you just a charter that operates solely inside K-bay? Just wondering.
    Last edited by pike_palace; 04-30-2010 at 22:47. Reason: misspelling

Have you fished outside of the bay? Or are you just a charter that operates solely inside K-bay? Just wondering.
    Do you mean do I EVER go out of K-Bay or have I been outside lately? I've been out past Pogi a couple of times this year, but with plenty of decent halibut in the bay there's not much reason to go any further.

But I'll go wherever the fish are. I've spent quite a bit of time around Flat Is. and Elizabeth during the summer. Haven't made it that far this year because I like to get my clients their limits of butt and then buzz in and get them some kings as quickly as possible. Staying within the bay facilitates that.

I also love to go up north of Anchor in the Whiskey Gulch area. A great place for spawning kings and some nice butt, too. In fact the South Peninsula Sportsman's Association Calcutta King tournament is May 15th and I'll be doing my best to win that.

Default Funny Photo

My main man who helps me all summer here on POW went home to meet up with some Michiganders who wanted to try for halibut. So he borrows a boat from a friend, sounder/gps not working and heads out, foggy, decides to start fishing without going to our old stand-by from years past. Now we had a good year last year but this is beginners luck! Sure he won't mind me posting.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

LOL! Nice!!!

The first halibut I ever caught was a 70 pounder I caught while trolling for kings off of Whiskey Gulch in about 50 ft. of water. Wasn't even trying to catch halibut.

Default Halibut were biting Saturday

We were on a weekend trip out of Whittier this weekend to get the boat wet. We caught a few shrimp and a few halibut. Only one of any real size. Saturday was beautiful on the water. So they are out there. They really seemed to like the octopus we had just caught out of our shrimp pots.

Nice fish. Very few boats out there last weekend.