Thread: May fishing in Alaska?

Default May fishing in Alaska?

Hey everyone Im moving up to Alaska for the summer on may 5th for work. I dont start working until the begining of june so I'm gonna have the whole first month to camp and fish my way around Alaska. I am planning on buying a car right when I get to Anchorage. I spent a summer in Denali two summers ago and cant wait to get back. Well if anybody knows of any fishing or camping spots I should check out I would really appreciate. Any info helps. Thanks in advance and tight lines to all!

Default I'll give it a shot

Quote Originally Posted by ryguy View Post
    Hey everyone Im moving up to Alaska for the summer on may 5th for work. I dont start working until the begining of june so I'm gonna have the whole first month to camp and fish my way around Alaska. I am planning on buying a car right when I get to Anchorage. I spent a summer in Denali two summers ago and cant wait to get back. Well if anybody knows of any fishing or camping spots I should check out I would really appreciate. Any info helps. Thanks in advance and tight lines to all!
    Ok, here is a recommendation if you are staying on the road system:

1. Get a raft or canoe or boat of some sort
    2. Float and fish the Kenai a couple of times
    3. Drive up the parks hwy and hit up the parks streams. There are some state campgrounds such as Montana Creek
    4. Hang out in Fairbanks, float and camp on the Chena, catch grayling. Maybe book a fly out trip to one of the lakes in the area with Rick Gold, Marina Air for pike or rainbow trout.
    5. Drive back south on the Richardson, maybe hit up Delta Clearwater for more grayling
    6. Stop in the Glenallen area and fish for reds on the Klutina if they are running
    7. Drive to Valdez and fish for whatever is running down there at that time
    8. Drive the Glenn Hwy back to Anchorage. Pretty sure there is some good fishing along the way but I am not familiar with it.
    9. Number 1 should read "buy "Highway Angler" by Gunnar Pederson.

I know others can fill in the gaps or make other reccomendations. I think this could easily take up two weeks if you take your time.

Default familiarize

yourself with THE REGS, before following any adivce given here.
    The upper & mid Kenai are closed to trout & dollie fishing during May, as is most (or at least part of) the Valley streams.
    F&G will also have a list of lakes that are open during this time frame (some will still be ice covered well into May). Some sort of water craft would be indicated if you're going to fish the lakes.
    Another option would be to catch a charter & stock up on halibut - lots of charters offer discounts for May charters.
    Gary

Correction:

1. should say "read and understand regs"

woodman, That book is pretty awesome! I would say to read the ADN too.

4. Unless it's changed pike doesn't open til 1 June in the interior.
    6. Too early for the Klutina.
    7. Nothing running in Valdez in May except for some local kings which is spotty. Although any time you can go to Valdez it's worth it, love that town. Halibut charter definitely doable.

Just some more info, have fun whatever you decide.

First off congratulations on moving to Alaska!!

Now on to fishing............In late May the King fishing picks up on the Kenai Pennisula. I would suggest fishing Ship Creek hard from the 15th on. Weekdays are best as most others are at work and the tourists aren't here yet. Eklutna tailrace (1 hour north of Anchorage) could finally produce that fabled King return I keep hearing about. Do roadtrips on the weekends. There are some great threads on Ship that I would suggest you read. Anchor or Kasilof (crooked creek) might be good, but check the regs on those as far as weekend openers all the other stuff you'll need to know.
    Have you thought about clamming? May is a great time of year to do it. I love camping on the beach too. I'd also say go to Homer and fish off the end of the spit for sole, pollock, little Pacific Cod and various other junk. It's a fun couple days.

The Marine fisheries will be red hot. Halibut are available and Kings are stacked. You might even find May specials if you call around.

Check out last year's fishing reports at www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com for where you plan on being. There are also links there to ADF&G's "fishing forecasts" and also the escapements for a lot of streams from the Kenai peninsula up to the Mat-Su valley streams. That can be very helpful.

And as everyone else said, get a copy of the regs for where you plan to fish and read them carefully. Very convoluted regs in places.