Thread: i have a stupid question or maybe you long time sourdoughs can tell me the reason why

Exclamation I have a stupid question or maybe you long time sourdoughs can tell me the reason why

When talking to someone about the diff areas of hunting up in Alaska and how diff the ranges and the terrain is there ..They do not get the idea of how each area of Alaska is diff in the way the animals are hunted along with a basic caliber that you would use a in lower 48 ..Also how big Alaska really is for the diff area of the state and it terrain along makes it a great place to hunt for it offers some of the best and worst places you can hunt in ..to keep you on your toes up here when out hunting in the brush ..

I was looking around a few guns shops in southern Ca area for a nice 7mm to take back with me for sheep hunting and everytime i ask for a 7mm cal rifle the guy would tell me that not what i need for Alaska ..finaly i ask the guy do you live there or ever been there he tells this no then how do you know what i need for sheep hunting ..i been out looking on the weekend down here to kill sometime on a sat afternoon ..i been to couple of the well known gun shops down here and the guys who i talked to tell me it not bad set up we talked about the rifle and scoper and round all matched togerther to produce a good all around hunting rifle ..but it ones that are the out of the way places ..where i get the way the 7mm cal for sheep ..

My friend ask why the 7mm cal ..I told it pretty flat shooting round out to around 800 to 1000 yards and it still got the power to take down a animal ..Plus with a good scope -x-3.x-x- 16...x power for long range shots to give me a little more power to see over a long flat distance ..for everyone who i talked to in diff talks about sheep hunting and the distance you have to take a shot ..you should get a 270-or better for a distance shots

Both me and my friend that the good all around caliber up basic long shots up ..But every gunshopdow here in southern ca seams to think that you ask for a cailber that not in the main stream of hunting calibers your asking for a phaser rifle to hunt with

I travel most of the western states each year, and as a matter of course I'm stopping in sporting good stores. And I can pretty well back up the gist of your post. Opinions about Alaska are kinda like XXXXXXXXX's. Most everybody's got one. Alaska seems to be the latest fad or hot topic. Lots of "experts" that never set foot here and probably never will.

I don't let on I'm from Alaska, and it's a whole lot of fun to ask questions about hunting in Alaska. Whooooooeeeeeeee!!! The stuff you hear and the stuff they try to sell you. I let em roll on and on, as I meanwhile cherry pick their stock for the stuff that actually works, and they don't have enough sense or experience to know what jewels they have sitting there collecting dust.

I'm happy to look like a fool, sitting there listening to their hogwash while I cherry pick their dusty old stock for some real bargains. Keep them telling their stories and spouting opinions, but keep your smile to yourself. It pays off big time, and the more the guy spouts, the less he usually knows. That's to your serious advantage.

thank you.. i have been reading and watching anything i can get my hands on when it comes to sheep hunting up there.. and the basic range for mose shots it seams to me is that is about 400 to 700 yards across one side of the canyon walls to the the next side ..

i was talking to the owner of this little out of the way place .he found a nice Remington 700.BDL model in 7mm mag .. i had pulled out my drivers lics to have him to a ffl tranferrer to a dealer i spoke to about doing the ffl thing for me in another state and i pick it up on the way home in end of may .. .the owner of the shop was great ..the knuckle heads he had working there is ones i do not get..

If you think you are going to be shooting 700 yards at game, then you need to reconsider. Spend some time shooting in rain and wind. Limit yourself to the range at which you can keep ALL of your shots on a standard paper plate, shooting from some sort of improvised field position (i.e. draped over a rock, pack laid flat on a knoll, etc.).

A fixed 4x scope will give you adequate sight picture for shooting game out as far as you need to be shooting. Once you're out beyond 300 yards, if you misjudge range by 50 yards or more, you risk missing or wounding. That goes for most any chambering - add a hundred yards to the real hotrocks (RUMs, etc.).

As for what to use on game up here, get a 30-06 or its rough equivalent. That's what you ended up with.

Gotta love all the "experts" out there on hunting in AK. . . Grew up using a .30/06, gf wants one of her own in SS/synthetic and a Nikon on top.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

grew up hunting alaska with a 30-06 custom mauser 98, never had any problems with long shots

Release Lake Trout

Default 7mm is a fine round, but....

A personal guide friend of mine told me he wished all of his clients hunted with a .243. You can practice all day and not get a sore shoulder, they are light to carry. He also has a 250 yd rule... if his range finder says it over 250 yards he politely helps the client get just a little closer. He has a good success rate and happy clients.

So much can go wrong out pass 300 yards that is it really worth chasing a wounded ram around the mountains. Besides it the hunt that is fun, not the shoot in my opinion.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

I am another one that grew up huntingin Alaska with a 30.06. I have never taken a shot on an animal over 200 yards and I seem to fill the freezer every year. My dad has hunted up here since the '70's with a 7 MM and loves it.

I went to Cabelas in Indiana about 2 years ago and I was amazed at what they tried to sell me for hunting in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I don't let on I'm from Alaska, and it's a whole lot of fun to ask questions about hunting in Alaska. Whooooooeeeeeeee!!! The stuff you hear and the stuff they try to sell you. I let em roll on and on, as I meanwhile cherry pick their stock for the stuff that actually works, and they don't have enough sense or experience to know what jewels they have sitting there collecting dust.
    That's really funny! I don't know if I could keep a straight face.

Buy your rifle in Alaska, in Anchorage you can't hardly sell a 7mm rem mag. They started life here in Alaska because of a bad rep with the wholesaler only selling pore ammo Rem bullets (not Kore locks) a great caliber and a great killer. I told many of my friends in the bush of Alaska about this and they still buy their rifles here in Anchorage (used) when they come to town. You can sure find them cheap in this part of the State. They kill real well with the right bullets and shot placement.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by B-radford View Post
    I am another one that grew up huntingin Alaska with a 30.06.
    I went to Cabelas in Indiana about 2 years ago and I was amazed at what they tried to sell me for hunting in Alaska.
    another believer of the ol 06'!

well whatd they try to sell ya? this we gotta hear!

Release Lake Trout

i never hunted big horn sheep and i allways wanted to .. i been reading up on anything that i can find on it along with seeing if someone would let me tag along as a helper on a sheep hunt before i go out and try myself ..

the way the couple of people who i read from a book that they wrote in a book about was that you most likely shooting from a one side of a canyon to the other side ..so that where i was getting the range on the canyons and how to pratice for ..for i pratice with my m14-with open sights out to 500.yards mark when i can just to keep the basic marksmanship skills updated ..i pratice standing and prone prostion ..

iam trying to get the basic info down on that type of hunting it the one thing beside a moose tag i would like to try ..i mean to me it something that i want to try for i have hunted deer and wild pigs and turkey and elk ..but iam really looking forward for a moose and sheep hunt up there..

can you give the guides name who talked about who takes there client in closer ..

to me it seams like one of the great hunts up there for you chaseing a animal that can get into places that makes a monkey look like i not going into that spot ..i been trying to find out any info i can ..

like i said i trying to find out anything i can on the subect of sheep hunting and good caliber to use ..

the more question i might ask and i know that they are little stupid at times.. but you can teach me in the long run .for iam a total greenhorn when it comes to hunting in Alaska and i trying to play catch up with you guys who lived there for years ..so i learn by asking a stupid question here and there and learn from the answer i get from the guys here ..iam a greenhorn in alaska hunting and i need to be on the upscale learning curve all the time before i step out the door to try and hunt up there ..

that way i am going to find a survival course up there for the bush and take it to teach me how to survive if something does go wrong before i try and hunt up there ..

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    another believer of the ol 06'!

well whatd they try to sell ya? this we gotta hear!
    They asked me what we use to hang our moose and caribou

Default sheep

I guided sheep hunters for about 8 years and the longest shot I had a hunter take was 400, he was a dairy farmer with an old 30/06 and he could shoot! Almost all the game I have guided or hunted on my own is taken inside 200 yards. The 30/06 is hard to beat, but I do like the 7mm too....

Brownbear know how you feel, I spent 8 weeks sitting in a booth with a big Yukon sign behind me, got more "expert" advice than I ever thought possible! You wouldnt believe the looks I would get when a guy would ask what my favorite hunting rifle was and I would tell them a 50 cal frontloader!

It is true some REALLY think we live in igloos, and NO the Yukon is not in Alaska!

Well, the Yukon River is! At least a good part of it anyway.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

The shooting ain't the hard part.Its getting to them. I like to figure at least double the distance you shot them from