View Poll Results: Has your opinion about the State of Alaska drawing permit system changed?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 12.05%
  • No

73 87.95%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has your opinion changed?

Default Has your opinion changed?

So, after several hundred (thousands?) posts debating the drawing permit system over the last 2 months, has your opinion changed? Just a simple Yes or No question, not even asking why. This thread is NOT intended to start the 147th thread debating the system.

Only leaving poll open for 5 days.

No complaints here
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

YEP, I changed from HOPING I would get drawn some day too, "SCREW"IT" poach it if I want, and save the $60.00 per year for Booze. So this is a win-win, you'all have one less application to compete against, which increases your odds, however slightly. And I now have 100% success.

Nothings changed for me, I still say leave it the way it is.

Ditto. I think the current system is the most equitable available.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

No complaints here. You win some, you loose some.

Nope. Leave it as it is.

Hunt more. Whine less.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Not even a little bit. More and more whining from losers, whether poker, NASCAR or hunt draws. Just seems to be the latest American thing.

I've put in for the same draw for 23 years and never been picked, yet I know folks that have been drawn three times in that period. Luck of the draw. I'll apply again next year, and happy to have the opportunity to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Not even a little bit. More and more whining from losers, whether poker, NASCAR or hunt draws. Just seems to be the latest American thing.

I've put in for the same draw for 23 years and never been picked, yet I know folks that have been drawn three times in that period. Luck of the draw. I'll apply again next year, and happy to have the opportunity to do it.

lest ye miss understand I am not whining, Keep it just the way it is, it is perfect. I have almost zero chance of getting caught, and the worse they can do is give me free room and board, at the sixth ave. bed & Breakfast

I said, "no", my opinion has not changed. (There might be a couple of minor things I would tweak, but overall I support the system as it currently exists.)

But, in the 147 threads and thousands of posts, I have picked up one or two insights, or a better understanding of perspectives. Not a very efficient manner of learning, but what the heck.

don't change a thing.

Default Interesting Question

This is an interesting poll. It isn't asking whether you think the system should be changed or not, but rather whether your opinion of that question has changed as a result of all the recent discussions. It looks like a big majority (39-3 at the time of this post) did not change their opinion. Some may still feel it does need to be changed despite the arguements to the contrary and some may still feel it does not need to change despite the arguements to the contrary.

I would be interested to hear from those who's opinions did change. What caused you to change your opinion? Was it points that were brought up that you were not previously aware of? Maybe it was the level of support for the "other" side of the arguement whichever that was?

If i never draw another permit i'd say i've been very,very lucky over ther last 35 yrs,that being said the permit system needs a change, it's not a fair system period. We need a point sytem of some sort......
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Default had to use ten characters

No no no no no

Default No complaints about the system just the presentation

I like the random draw. I do not like that it takes four months to post the results. The results should be available no later than two weeks after the draw deadline. So the moose count numbers are not in. Fish and game can close any hunt at anytime if they feel they need to. So even if you are drawn, technically you may not get to use your permit if the hunt is closed due to smaller than normal/average counts for that unit/hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post

I feel the same way about the draw-thankful to have the opportunity.

I don't let the draw dictate what I'm going to hunt. Example-I am "going" sheep hunting in 2011 and if I draw a permit for a coveted area I'll go there, if not then the plan stays the same and it's no skin off my nose.

Alot of folks let the draw dictate what they hunt and won't go or plan on, lets say a sheep hunt, unless they draw a tag. These folks are often the biggest whiners..........have meet and know quite a few people that feel that way.

Quote Originally Posted by sheep man View Post
    If i never draw another permit i'd say i've been very,very lucky over ther last 35 yrs,that being said the permit system needs a change, it's not a fair system period. We need a point sytem of some sort......

But it is a "fair" system. We all put in and they pull the names out of the hat, whats not fair about that? I guess you could say joe drew 3 tags and nuthin fer ME and I'd say joe is a lucky SOB and I'd want him in my camp as a good luck charm , we ALL have the same odds (very slim to none).

Opinion on the drawing system has not changed. Want it stay as is.

Kinda hoping we could do something to eliminate the 147 bitter threads about it on the forums though.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Default Warmed a little

My opinion has not changed, but it has warmed a little. I still think the system is good the way it is, but the discussions have presented some good arguments for the contrary. So I would be receptive to some changes, although I still have to say "no" if put to a yes-or-no.

Good thread.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Default the problem is

the problem is not in the drawing system.

the problem is in the number of hunter applicant's growing and animals pop shrinking.

the drawing is a symptom and not the cure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast