Thread: Kah Sheets Lake/Bay

Smile Kah Sheets Lake/Bay

I'm planning a trip to the cabin at Kah Sheets Lake and I am looking for any information about the cabin and the fishing in that area. I am planning on going the first or second week of August. Anyone been there in the past year or so? I'm already tying up a bunch of flies but would like to get some first hand knowledge of what works best.

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by mmartin6 View Post
    I'm planning a trip to the cabin at Kah Sheets Lake and I am looking for any information about the cabin and the fishing in that area. I am planning on going the first or second week of August. Anyone been there in the past year or so? I'm already tying up a bunch of flies but would like to get some first hand knowledge of what works best.

Thanks for your help.
    I was there maybe 4 yrs ago, very late august, didn't stay at that cabin but looked inside. That cabin at the lake is really nice. has lots of light and oil stove. There were quite a few silvers schooled up below the lower "falls". The fish there may have been there for awhile, but maybe not. I dunno what you would find in early august. I caught fish mainly down at the mouth, by another bay cabin (it is small and dark and old), using typical silver flies (lead-eyed chartreuse or fuchsia bunny leeches, fuchsia zonkers, flash flies). Did better when it rained alot. The stream goes out awhile through a bay where there are a ton of spawning chums and pinks.

The stream is wadeable.

Thanks Steve. Good info. I'm planning a 4-5 day trip. I understand there is a boat at the lake cabin. Any word on it's condition? Should I rent a small outboard or would it be OK to row around the lake?

Thanks Steve. Good info. I'm planning a 4-5 day trip. I understand there is a boat at the lake cabin. Any word on it's condition? Should I rent a small outboard or would it be OK to row around the lake?
    There were two nearly new boats at the lake cabin 4-5 yrs ago; my guess is they are still in excellent condition.

Yes, you should rent a motor (reserve through Rocky's Marine); the boat is hard to row if the wind comes up, which it did when I visited it (or if someone messed up the oarlocks). I borrowed it from occupants from cabin and did not make it more than 1/4 mile; its at least a mile or so from the inlet streams.

Easy access to this cabin; no tidal issues, has nice dock that I think plane could pull up to. Is an hour or so walk down a boardwalk to the bay. Whole river can be fished by wading.

I was there last summer mid-july.

The cabin and the 2 boats are in great condition. Bring a small motor.

Great fishing in the creek just before the falls. Caught lots of Sockeye.

But you have to walk 1-2 miles to get there on boards. Sometimes there are people that come by boat to the bay and walk up the trail.

Saw bears every day (Black), but they were gentle. They were fishing next to us (50' away).

We were fishing with Russian River Hook.

Thanks for the info flafonta. Good stuff. I'll probably rent a small outboard motor in Petersburg for the trip.

(Stevesch) had good info too and says the stream is wadable.

Would you recommend chest waders or could you get away with using hip waders around the creek and bay? We have both but I'm trying to pair down on what equipment to carry but can take both if needed.

Thanks for your help.

I do chest waders; simply because there are, as I remember a few deeper places and it allows you to cross and wade more without crawling the edges and going through brush, etc. The silvers (if there) will be hanging out in the deeper water (2-3 feet). Also, the creek comes up when/if it rains and stays up a little longer due to the lake. You could get away with hip waders in alot of the creek - - - would depend on where and flow conditions.

The people who walk in come from the lower cabin and (as tides permit), a lodge along the narrows ~10 miles away.

Would be interested in what you find in early aug. Be sure to bring some smaller egg-suck-leeches/globug/etc. for cutthroats and dollies, they are there.

Default power of the internet?

hey out there - took a look at the cabin reservation website and noticed that the Kah Sheets Lake cabin is booked to the gills from July on. Don't remember seeing that level of early interest - in fact not much of anything outside the coho season and independence day until just before flafonta's and my post here.

So what up? Is there an army of internet fishermen prowling for tips and glomming onto the first thing they see on the web?

Anyhow, I hope mmartin6 was able to get in on it.....

Default Reserveing

You can only reserve less than 6 months in advance.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    You can only reserve less than 6 months in advance.
    true - its a nice cabin and all - but that one hasn't been so popular until recently. Who knows? 2006 might have been a gangbuster year for socks on the Kah. These things vary. McDonald Lake used to be a tough cabin to reserve but no-one is booking it this year; makes me wonder if a couple lukewarm reports on the socks (either this site or "another" one) had something to do with it.

Just wondering is all.

Hey Guys - Yep...I got in. I thought it might be tough to get so I kept a vigilant eye on the openings and got lucky. I got into Kah Sheets lake cabin for a week in August. I'll make sure to keep you posted on the fishing and other items of interest in the area.

Quick question: I was thinking of taking my son (11 yrs old) on the trip. Would that be a good area to take kids along? Any thoughts and/or recommendations? He is just learning to fly fish and I thought this trip might give him a bit more confidence with a fly rod.

Hey Guys - Yep...I got in. I thought it might be tough to get so I kept a vigilant eye on the openings and got lucky. I got into Kah Sheets lake cabin for a week in August. I'll make sure to keep you posted on the fishing and other items of interest in the area.

Quick question: I was thinking of taking my son (11 yrs old) on the trip. Would that be a good area to take kids along? Any thoughts and/or recommendations? He is just learning to fly fish and I thought this trip might give him a bit more confidence with a fly rod.
    That could work....provided he is in shape to hike (a few miles), and doesn't peer over the the top of the two waterfalls - its a fairly tame creek otherwise....there will be a ton of pinks throughout the river below the lower falls and they are easy to catch. I'm also guessing there will be sockeye which will bite just about anything after they have dug their nests (not sport, but easy to catch). The cabin has various decks and is relatively safe being wheelchair accessible and all. If he hangs out by the cabin only he could still fish out of the boats or there is an inlet stream I believe fairly close to the lake outlet - you'll need the boat to cross and slog through some mush to find it. Make a topo map of the area at REI before you go out there is best.

You could bring a spinning rod.

Perfect...Thanks Steve...appreciate the info. Great idea about the maps from REI. I will definitely take your advice and make a map (or two). The spinning gear always comes along on trips "just in case."

Again, thank you for all the info. I'll make sure to keep you and everyone posted.

Marty