Thread: Rod Building Kits for newbie

Default Rod Building Kits for newbie

I'd like to build a light weight fly rod this spring and I'm looking for a decent kit around 100-150$. Any tips, suggestions, websites?

I haven't looked in a while, but hook and hackle used to have some great deals on kits. and are also good choices/resouces, but I'm not sure about kit rods. is a great forum to research as well.

good luck on your build.
    Nice Marmot.

Default kits

Sent you a PM.

Eagle River/ Juneau

the cabela's im6 6'6" 2 wt is an absolute rocket, the kit is like $60
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Personally, I don't really like the kits because everything is already handed to you and you don't have much room to customize the rod, which is the whole point in building a rod. I would buy the blank you like, get the recommended guides from either a fly shop that sells rod building stuff (not very many) or order them online. Get reel seat of your choice and either custom make your own handle or get a premade handle. Handles and reel seats are where I like to see the custom work. Some only care about the thread wraps but I think the handle and reel seat are just as important as far as aesthetics goes.

Finished a 7'9" 3wt over the winter. Took it out tonight to test it. WOW! I can't wait for grayling fishing to pickup around Fairbanks.
    Its a Forecast blank. I think I paid about $25 for it.
    If you've never built a rod, then get a kit, because it does contain everything you'll need. Once you get the hang of it, start the real custom work.
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

You have another PM