Thread: Penn Reels

Default Penn Reels

Hi all,

My trusty 9m Level Wind gave up the ghost last season. I went to repair it and the more broke in the process. I'm looking for a new Penn but I'm reading so bad reviews. Mine is 16 years old. Has anyone seen any issues with Penn's lately ?

Ron

Nope. I bought a handful of new ones last year, 4 Penn models altogether and a couple of other brands, and knocked heck out of all of them with hard use and little extra care. Worked and held up like Penns always have. The reason I usually go with Penn is the parts situation. My local sporting goods store stocks them, and can quickly get any they don't have. Penn's support network is second to none. Just try and find a local source of parts for any other brand, much less order them.

Ron

I've got 2 320's and a 113H on lamiglas pool cues. For 7 years, I've only had one of the 320's level wind go south on me, but was easily repaired by Rons Reel Repair. I prefer the 113H over all three. Pretty much bullet proof. My personal rod, I got an AVET HXJ 5/2 that is the cats meow. Lots more spendy than the penn, but its smooth, strong, and I like the two speed. You really can't go wrong with the penn reels especially for the price. Good Luck fishing and have a great summer!!!

I've got 4 Penns that I have had for 5 years and worked hard on the Kenai. Never any trouble and I really like the way they work. I replaced 4 Garcia Ambassaduer reels and the Penns are much better built and smoother operating.

Default Penns have been great...

Going on over 30 years on some of my Penn reels. There are a couple of newer models that I don't like, they are cheaper and made in China. I think all the Penns may have switched to China but they are still mostly great reels.

To replace the Penn 9, if you want a level wind, go with the Penn 310 GTI, big enough for anything in Michigan...The 113H is a great reel for a non-level wind, but too big for where you are, if you want a non-level wind go with a Penn Jigmaster. All 3 of these reels will last forever with maintenance, and easy to get parts, drag washers us usually all you need if you keep em clean! I've got a couple of jigmasters that are over 30 years old, and some 10 year old GTI's that are still perfect...

I have three Penn 320GT2's and one Penn 330GT2, all mounted on Lamiglass and Wright & McGill extra heavy action rods. They are all great reels, but I really like the 330 the most. It has a larger handle, fits a bit more line, gearing is slightly better, and isn't all that heavy. To be fair, the 320GT2's did haul up their share of large butts and lings last year without a single problem. Overall, I think you'll be happy with the Penn products still coming out today. You cant beat the quality for price ratio that they offer!

Default Penn

Penn has been there and back in terms of quality. They started out as the reel everyone used and was simply and relieable. The company changed hands, had some growing pains and now they are back with the program. There is a new International 12 coming out in July that will be comparable to the other small size, high drag premium reels that are so popular on now for jigging in Alaska. The Torque is a great little reel and the small gold international bait casters have been a durable favorate for salmon.

Talking I love my Penns

I have a bunch of 9M, 109, 209 and 309 Penns. Most are over 20 years old, some even older. I love the fact that I can rebuild them and have a great extra reel on the boat for friends who mooch alnog with me. I have my eye on the 113 for this years addition.

I Love this lil 9M with a counter. Yard Sale for $15 in box
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have 4 Penn 320s for salmon and another 4 set up for halibut, plus a 5-gallon bucket full of Penn 49s. (The latter are just getting too difficult to find parts for so they are being turned out to pasture.) I have always used Penns because they are simple to fix. Their graphite level-winds are extremely durable and reliable.

Though not too fancy, Penn makes a sturdy reel. In about 1980 I purchased two Penn Senators from Bob Chalmers (he owned Bob's Trophy Charters at the time) for $5.00 each. They were the best of the lot that he was getting rid of. Lord knows how many hours they had on them. I cleaned them up and used them for years. I have always tried to take good care of my gear and still have them. Two years ago a friend spotted one I had hooked up to an older Lamiglas "Saltchucker" rod that's probably 25 years old itself. They were all over me for the "old school" gear. This is what that rod and reel drug up that day.

Used Penn's 330-340's for many years. Never had any parts break on any of them. The more we fished with them the more we (family members) preferred the smaller 330 over the larger ones.
    For the money, they are probably the best deal out there for a halibut reel.
    Tennessee