Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moly Coating Bullets?

Default Moly Coating Bullets?

Ok, I finished reading through the entire HDLG forum and don't remember anything about Moly Coating Bullets, tryin' to make sure I don't ask the same old questions.......

In Precision Shooting by Brennan, his very last segment is on Moly Coating his bullets with a tumbler, seems to really have a good word about it for increasing accuracy as much as 50%, and prolonging Barrel Life, etc.

So, out at my Grampa in Law's shop a few days ago, I notice he has a tub of "Midway Moly" up on the shelf.

This old Buck has been reloading since they did it by hand so I listen "real good" and look around a lot. So I grabbed this little 8oz tub of this stuff to check it out then reading about it in Prec. Shooting, I am really interested in this idea

Anyone have experience with this, there are basic instructions inside the tub but wondering what you guys think of this? Also if you do it, how is it done, a seperate media for this only I imagine?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I bought a dedicated tumbler for moly coating bullets. The $40 Frankfort Arsenal tumbler is just fine. I don't use any media. I dump the bullets in the tumbler, along with a 1/4 teaspoon of moly powder (a little goes a long way) and let it run. It's noisy as all get-out, so I keep the tumbler in the garage.

When they are done, dump the bullets onto several layers of paper towel or cloth shop towel. This can get messy, but the moly powder will wash right off your hands with regular soap & water.

You can tumble different kinds of bullets together, but make sure they are easy to tell apart. For example .30cal bullets and .22cal bullets are easy to separate, but two different styles of .22cal bullets are not.

When shooting moly bullets, first clean the barrel down to bare steel. Get it as clean as you can. Then, just shoot the moly-coated bullets. You'll see your first couple of groups, and they'll probably be pretty big. After 3 or 4 groups, though, they will shrink right up. Just continue to shoot moly bullets, at will, and don't clean your barrel after each range trip. Your rifle will tell you when to clean the bore. I get several hundred rounds between cleanings, with moly bullets, before the accuracy starts to drop off.

I played with it when it first became a fad, and was never sold. It doesn't hurt anything, but I found the benefits pretty questionable. Kind of like those products they sell to give you extra mileage from your car.

My beef was that with normal loading techniques, most of it gets scraped off the bullets as you seat them. Gotta bell the case mouths a little in my experience, then follow it with a kiss of the crimp die to remove the bell once the bullet is seated. Lotta extra steps and extra exercise of the case mouth.

It would have seemed like a bargain if it cut my groups in half or increased velocity a bunch, but that never happened to me. Maybe I'm just not special enough. ;-) Or at least, not getting the bullets for free and writing about them in magazines and such. I know a few really serious benchrest shooters, and none of them use it. Good sign.

My experience was much the same as BrownBear's. I used it with my 243 and maybe got 50 fps more but the standard deviation from shot to shot increased and so did my group size.

When it first came out everyone in our coyote hunting click got on board with it but now nobody uses it.

Moly will absorb water from the air. Not a problem with a competition shooter that uses his gun frequently. Could be a big problem in Alaska when you only shoot it on occasion.

Default good info, I get it now

Ok good, I think I get Grandpa's response to my interest now, kind of a "mmm phhh."

The Fad that Faded?? But that absorbing water from the air, whoa I think that Brennan guy lives in Arizona. That's a great book tho if you haven't seen it, Precision Shooting

So that's why the little tub of the stuff has hardly been used and still sits there on the shelf, Thanks for the input folks
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

From what I understand about it, it’s good stuff, if you do it right. Some BR people like it because it increases barrel life immensely.

IMO, There have been some incredibly bad, and not credible stuff written about it, and interest has wanned.

I’ve got a can of the “spray on” moly, which is sposed to be the poorest way of applying it, but I’ve not gotten around to trying it yet. I think, mainly, because you’re not spose to go back and forth using it, and not using it in the same rifle.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

The 1st outfit to molycoat thier bullets I think was Barnes remember with thier all copper bullet you had to back off on max loads if you were using data for a conventional rifle bullet ie Sierra bullets, so they moly coated the bullet which took care of that. But they came out with the TSX with the bands cut on the bullet itself and no more pressure problems or a need to moly coat. Next thin you know all of them are doing it because it was the in thing, I do know it helped out the guy shooting the 17 remington with std bullets it would foul after 10 shots moly coat that little bullet all problems were solved I guess. But in the end just a fad as far as using it with a hunting bullet no need for it.

Are there any down sides to using molly coated bullets? The answer is heck yes. If there is any chance you may not have a future use for molly coated bullets! Trying to get the barrel molly free will leave you talking to yourself. Molly is tough to get out of your barrel. I know lots of Br bullet makers that wish they had never seen or heard of the stuff. Yep molly does work, you just have to figure if the crap pays off for it's use.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I know lots of Br bullet makers that wish they had never seen or heard of the stuff.
    I know what you mean. I go through between 5,000 and 10,000 rounds in three rifles on prairie dogs each spring (not this year due to last summer's bubonic plague.). I ran 500 rounds of moly coat through a 223 bolt gun back when moly was the latest gleam in the marketers' eyes. Played absolute bloody hell getting that sweet little rifle cleaned and performing up to par again with conventional bullets. "Never more" quoth the raven.

Are there any down sides to using molly coated bullets? The answer is heck yes. If there is any chance you may not have a future use for molly coated bullets! Trying to get the barrel molly free will leave you talking to yourself. Molly is tough to get out of your barrel. I know lots of Br bullet makers that wish they had never seen or heard of the stuff. Yep molly does work, you just have to figure if the crap pays off for it's use.
    Me too! I sent my 243 back to Ruger along with I think $125 and got a new barrel put on it! I thought that after a hundred rounds or so of copper jacketed bullets the molly would shoot out....no such luck!

Well fellows there is a long list of it's the best thing since sliced bread that is part of the huge pile of crap that just plainly doesn't work for guns, or works a little bit but ain't worth the "trouble", some folks call this snake oil, some call it the best thing since sliced bread and a few souls like me call it another miracle in a bottle.

The number of Bench rest bullet makers that have and no longer offer these molly coated bullets is long. Just think about the poorer guys that sent out barrels to have frozen. And if I ha-ten' found out from Crucible Service center that it does not work on any SS barrel I would have bit the bullet also on that one.

I think the only hope I see on the horizon today is newer improved powders.

Yeah I know when money is burning a whole in your pocket, it's never easy to just say no.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Well fellows there is a long list of it's the best thing since sliced bread that is part of the huge pile of crap that just plainly doesn't work for guns, or works a little bit but ain't worth the "trouble", some folks call this snake oil, some call it the best thing since sliced bread and a few souls like me call it another miracle in a bottle.
    That's absolutely true. If you do a search for "Moly Coated Bullets", you see FIRM opinions on both sides, as well as charges and denials.

Just one of many examples, some people claim it's hard to get out of your barrel, and others laugh at that, and say they can get it out easily with Hoppys Number 9.

This is HOTLY debated, and whichever you wanna believe, you can find something to support it.

It's no wonder, that the most of us are reluctant to jump into something that confusing.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Just one of many examples, some people claim it's hard to get out of your barrel, and others laugh at that, and say they can get it out easily with Hoppys Number 9.
    I'm saying it was hard to get out, based on symptoms rather than actually getting down to a bore scope and confirming it was still there. All I can report is that after shooting 500 rounds of the stuff, sometimes fast and heating the barrel and sometime slow and deliberate, my former accuracy loads wouldn't shoot worth beans. It took many, many cleaning sessions with all sorts of solutions to finally restore the rifle to its former shooting abilities using conventional bullets. We're talking loads that formerly delivered around 1/4" groups not breaking an inch. Not in my bores, you don't!!!!!

Default Barrel Material?

Just curious, was it a Stainless Barrel or Blued Steel that you were using it in, make a difference do you think?

Every bullet that goes down my barrels is Moly coated.. with the exception of the "blue" XLC bullets.

I tumble with media, as i can't stand the sound of tumbling bullets without media.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'm saying it was hard to get out, based on symptoms rather than actually getting down to a bore scope and confirming it was still there. All I can report is that after shooting 500 rounds of the stuff, sometimes fast and heating the barrel and sometime slow and deliberate, my former accuracy loads wouldn't shoot worth beans. It took many, many cleaning sessions with all sorts of solutions to finally restore the rifle to its former shooting abilities using conventional bullets. We're talking loads that formerly delivered around 1/4" groups not breaking an inch. Not in my bores, you don't!!!!!
    Brownbear:
    I wouldn't dispute anything you've said. I'm sure you've sent a mill'yun more bullets of many more types, downrange than I have, and have much greater handloading experience than me.

I find this an interesting subject. The reason I'm positive about it, is what I've heard from an advocate of Moly.

The guy's name is Dan Hackett. He shoots BR, and the last I heard was still using it to great advantage.

I don't think he cleans it all out, and doesn't even want to. He cleans the carbon out. As I recall, he has a borescope, which tells him that shooting moly bullets results in much increased barrel life, which, of course, is important to a BR competitor.

I hafta believe that moly does, or can, result in some positives, if done right, at least in some barrels, but like you and many others, It doesn't seem to be worth the bother.

Maybe 270ti, has other ideas though, and I wouldn't mind hearing his experiences with moly.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have always wondered if there would be any advantage to coating cast bullets with the stuff before running them thru the lubrasizer.... kind of "super" lube them...

never tried it though...
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Hey Smitty,

My beef was that it no longer shot conventional bullets as well as before, and I didn't want to be sentenced to shooting nothing but molys. It's a rifle I leave in the Southwest year round for the hands to use for prairie dogs when I'm not around. And they go through a LOT of ammunition that I provide. It needs to be as accurate as possible with whatever I can buy in quantity and on sale. If I was going to continue feeding it molys I probably wouldn't have gone to the trouble, but the groups were no better than what I'd been getting with anything else.

BTW- That little rifle (older standard weight Savage stainless, but I don't remember the model) has gone through a documented 10,000+ rounds with infrequent cleaning, and it will still break an inch with most factory loads. It used to break a half inch, but time goes on. It's the most amazing gun I've ever seen for taking a licking.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I tumble with media, as i can't stand the sound of tumbling bullets without media.
    I don't like the noise, either, but I've never tried tumbling/molly coating bullets with media. What are you using for media? Ceramic?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast