Thread: Morad Antennas

Default Morad Antennas

Hey guys. I broke my Shakespeare Galaxy antenna and am looking for a replacement. I've heard good things about the Morad VHF-156 HD "Hot Rod" unit but can't seem to find any dealers. Does anybody know who sells Morad? Or do I just have to call them and order direct? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    Hey guys. I broke my Shakespeare Galaxy antenna and am looking for a replacement. I've heard good things about the Morad VHF-156 HD "Hot Rod" unit but can't seem to find any dealers. Does anybody know who sells Morad? Or do I just have to call them and order direct? Thanks.
    I got mine from Harris marine electric in Ballard...Morads are good except when it blows you can here the wire rattling in the aluminum tube

Default Try Digital Antenna..

Rod: had problems with my Shakespheare too. Guys on the forum recommended www.digitalantenna.com Their antenna's seem much superior to Shakespheare, for instance the cable is factory wired all the way into the antenna, you don't have to make that crummy soldered connection that breaks loose (and frys your radio when you try to transmit without an antenna connection!). Antenna comes with adaptor for the radio end of the cable, so it is ready to plug in and go, no messing with solder joints like the Shakespheare.

I got the model 529, and I ordered from Dave's Marine Electronics (online) and saved about $70 over other dealers; however, I had to have it shipped to my home in Idaho, then I will priority mail it to AK for about another $16, still a great deal. Digital Antenna also has the stubbies like you are using, and those could probably be shipped to AK, mine is an 8 footer, so won't ship that directly...

There is a dealer locator on the digital antenna site, there are a couple in AK, I think both on the Kenai Peninsula.

Capn Ron is absolutely correct, Digital can't be beat!
    I didn't recommend it to you cause it sounds like you have the Morad type mount w/ the middle brace.

Default 3's a charm

I gotta get in on that Digital thing as well. We have not had o moment of problem and function is flawless, this is over the last 4 years.
    Mike

Default Here's a good read on how VHF antennas work and what DB gain means

Thought this might be useful to the discussion.

http://www.catfleet21.org/rigging/June.htm

I learned a lot! For example the coax should be as short as possible to minimize signal loss, VHF antenna coax can be trimmed (up to 3 feet) but CB antenna coax can't.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Thanks for the info guys. I don't have my heart set on the Morad unit. I just heard that they were a good, high quality, durable antenna. Sounds like I need to have a look at the Digital antennas as well.

Anybody have experience with both?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I don't have my heart set on the Morad unit. I just heard that they were a good, high quality, durable antenna. Sounds like I need to have a look at the Digital antennas as well.

Anybody have experience with both?
    I have both....I have to have a morad for my group fishing super secret radio because Digital doesn't make UHF compatible. My VHF has a Digital of course. Get a Seadog or shakespear ratchet mount and order a Digital 8' antenna and you'll be 5x5 for years to come guaranteed

I have used the Morads for a while, reccommended by my brother who is a commercial fisherman. If you look at any commercial boat or USCG boat, they have Morads. Most of my friends have switched to them after seing how well mine worked. Just my 2 cents...