Thread: Salmon trolling out of Haines

Default Salmon trolling out of Haines

I'm coming up in June in search of Salmon and Halibut. I'll be trolling out of my 14' aluminum. I'm considering a shot at the Haines area. Is this a bad choice?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Default Haines

There should be a few kings around at that time. I have not had alot of success on the halibut in June around Haines. Usually July and August have produced better results for halibut for me.
    You can troll for kings pretty close to Haines so your 14ft boat should be fine on the calm days. The crabbing is usually good at that time.

Good Luck

A better bet would be Coffman Cove on POW

I live in Haines and Salt's advice is correct. Your timing is good for the run before the 15th of June. The nets hit the waters then and it slows way down. Your skiff is fine BUT be very careful not to wander to far from shore as the winds can build in a hurry. Try dragging Letnikof Cove. It is sheltered and a good run schools up there. If it's a big breeder, you owe me a DRINK.

What is POW?

Quote Originally Posted by windypoint View Post
    I live in Haines and Salt's advice is correct. Your timing is good for the run before the 15th of June. The nets hit the waters then and it slows way down. Your skiff is fine BUT be very careful not to wander to far from shore as the winds can build in a hurry. Try dragging Letnikof Cove. It is sheltered and a good run schools up there. If it's a big breeder, you owe me a DRINK.
    Windypoint.....Thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot

Default Great advice

Quote Originally Posted by kingfish View Post
    What is POW?
    Prince of Wales Island... down south towards Ketchikan.

The Haines advice you got is good.
    Alaska Fishing Forums : They are my addiction!