Thread: outboard motor specs, weights, performance data

Default outboard motor specs, weights, performance data

Has anybody ever seen any type of a comparison of outboard motor specs? Either one that lists manufacturer, year, model and info or one that compares between each manufacturer?
    For instance, have you seen a spec sheet by OMC on different models year by year? Or have you seen any info comparing different manufacturers same hp rated models year by year?
    What is the weight difference between an 88hp Special 1989 OMC and the same year Yamaha 90? Did the Yamaha 90 stay the same weight until its demise (2006?).
    I've seen some stuff on blogs and what not, but nothing that is really well laid out.
    I realize that a 20" Yamaha 90 will be lighter than the 27" model. But what else do we know for sure?
    and specifically, just in case you can find the info,
    I have a 1989 88hp Special OMC. What does it weigh?
    I am thinking about switching it out with a 20" Yamaha 90HP. What does it weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Has anybody ever seen any type of a comparison of outboard motor specs? Either one that lists manufacturer, year, model and info or one that compares between each manufacturer?
    For instance, have you seen a spec sheet by OMC on different models year by year? Or have you seen any info comparing different manufacturers same hp rated models year by year?
    What is the weight difference between an 88hp Special 1989 OMC and the same year Yamaha 90? Did the Yamaha 90 stay the same weight until its demise (2006?).
    I've seen some stuff on blogs and what not, but nothing that is really well laid out.
    I realize that a 20" Yamaha 90 will be lighter than the 27" model. But what else do we know for sure?
    and specifically, just in case you can find the info,
    I have a 1989 88hp Special OMC. What does it weigh?
    I am thinking about switching it out with a 20" Yamaha 90HP. What does it weigh?
    So just to get this straight, you're not necessarily interested in a general comparision of motors? It sounds like you're mainly interested in replacing your current motor and want to know what to expect. Is that about right? I ask because I've seen comparisons done of bigger motors, mainly 4-strokes in the 150hp and bigger range.

Default several comparisons wanted

My buddy and I are exploring quite a few options and looking at weight to power ratios. How can we get light but keep the power up? At what point does it not make sense to not get a heavier motor as the increase in HP is offset by added weight on the transom?
    I'm thinking about a couple of boats. The first is a 16'x52". What is the perfect back water, windy creek, shallow running, beaver dam jumping jet motor for up to 2 guys? The 20hp to 35hp platforms seem lighter than the 40hp to 60hp platforms, but by how much? And let's keep the motor a tiller w/ rope start.
    But if I am willing to use remote steering, then other options come up. Let's say I am thinking about using a 50hp, but here comes a 70hp that is a screaming deal. My first guess is there is almost no weight difference, so why not go the 70hp?
    I've also got a 20'x52" Quachita. Currently she sports a 1989 OMC 88hp Spl on the back. Would I save weight by going to the 90 Yamaha? How much? I'd lose torgue, but could I gain it back with less weight? Currently this is a boat that, even for its size and weight, is agile, quick, carries a load, and will fly over log jams and beaver dams. Can I make it better?
    As an aside, what is the fuel consumption for these motors. Normally I just figure about 1gph per 10hp. My 88 will usually run at 7gph but I figure 8 to 9gph.
    There is something almost romantic about running a small windy creek all by yourself in the perfect little set up. Something that you can man handle by yourself when the time arises. Running corner after corner exploring all the nooks and crannies that a waterway has to offer.
    And its spring. I can't launch the boat yet from my house, so I might as well dream and talk about them.

I don't know if this is off topic or not but i'm bursting at the seems to tell you guys I just bought a Suzuki 15hp short shaft 4 stroke! I know you all probably think I'm easily entertained but i've been wanting an inflatable and a nice kicker for years an its finally gonna happen! As you read earlier in another thread I ordered a 9'6" Alaskan Series Gary King raft w/ the optional aluminum floor (every time I type that I get all warm and fuzzy ) Anyway, I have never owned a suzuki outboard but I'll tell ya my 99 kingquad is bullet proof, so I'm a fan of suzuki motors. I found this http://cgi.ebay.com/15hp-Suzuki-4-St...ht_3708wt_1167 and it got me all excited, but since I'm a buy local kind of guy I googled Suzuki dealers in state. Anchorage Suzuki put me on hold to long...next Xtreme Marine and sports in biglakes number was disconnected, next..Peninsula Powersports--ahem bingo! the girl that answered the phone was pleasant and said they had them in stock and they would give it to me for 2500! only one hundred dollars more than the ebay crooks!!! life is good
    now i gotta check the clam tides so I can rustle up some razors and make a day trip out of it.