Thread: Controled Burns

Default Controled Burns

Just read a artical in the www.newsminer.com how they are going to try to burn the hillsides south of Delta to improve habitat.

I have to wonder if Delta is a place to see if anything works in this state that they then will then employ it in other parts of the state.

We've expermented with the Buffulo, the moose getting wiped out twice, the wind gen's. the ag project, and the missle defence, (which if you read the new's today, you might not want to be to quick to shut down,)

My point is why are we always the guenie pig?

Default burns

Skipper, BC has been doing controlled burning every spring for years and it works there (very well in fact) I worked for FNAWs a number of years ago burning mountains off for sheep habitat, it sure seemed to help that area so it should work in Delta or help anyway.

Delta is far from being the test subject for controlled burns. It's been happening for decades that I know of. Fairbanks area has been doing it a long time. The Alphabet hills here had a plan in place since '81 before the conditions presented themselves to finally make it happen in 2004. It burnt okay but not as clean or as much area as they had planned. The Copper Basin is known as the asbestos forest for good reason.

Rock - I can understand the sentiment of feeling like Delta is the test case for everything - there's certainly some truth to that - but man, you should be excited about having some controlled burns in your area. That is probably the most effective way to increase the moose population, as the habitat will become far more productive in a few years.

I like to see some out here in 16 the alder seems like it has taken over a big chunk of what used to be willow. Right now we have near perfect black bear habitat but pretty poor for moose. I doubt i it will ever happen the logistics would be a killer.
    Chuck

Thumbs up

Delta also supports the first underground nuclear reactor, now buried and covered with concrete. It is also rapidly becoming known for it's High Fence Hunting Opportunities. If I am not mistaken, it was also the first place in Alaska to have Sharptailed Grouse transplanted there. And what about them Russian transplants.

Seems to me that of all places on Earth to set on fire, Delta would rank Number 1.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post

My point is why are we always the guenie pig?

.......so you and AKres don't run out of things to disagree on

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Delta also supports the first underground nuclear reactor, now buried and covered with concrete. It is also rapidly becoming known for it's High Fence Hunting Opportunities. If I am not mistaken, it was also the first place in Alaska to have Sharptailed Grouse transplanted there. And what about them Russian transplants.

Seems to me that of all places on Earth to set on fire, Delta would rank Number 1.
    Sharp tailed grouse are native to the interior of the state. You are correct about the reactor though. You got something correct on this one at least.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by lynch View Post
    Sharp tailed grouse are native to the interior of the state. You are correct about the reactor though. You got something correct on this one at least.
    I was referencing the massive transplant of Sharptails right after the intial development of the Ag Project.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I understand the reason for the fires Brian, but Delta has been burned up on all sides by nature as long as I have been here, lol, it was in the artical that it said that this would be the first time that they tried this in this part of the year. We get maybe 1 out of 4 years that we don't have to go through a smokey summer, last year was awesome. Now we are faceing the smoke even earlier. If they went in and burnt the stuff that could be burnt, then put it out, that would not be a bad thing. But what happens is that they will let it smolder all summer.

It's bad enough that the wind here in Delta blows in smoke from other fires, now we will have one that will smolder all summer that was caused by man.

I agree that the fires bring in new habitat, that being said look at how many fires there have been in 20d in the last 10 years. ( let alone in the last 50)