Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Murphy!!!!!!!!!!

  1. #1

    Default Murphy!!!!!!!!!!

    Enough is enough! Retiring is one thing but but but......this just ain't right!

    Can I cut my Remington 798 458 win mags barrel down from 26 inches to 20-22 inches without loosing a lot. The 1 in 14 twist ought to get a 350 grain Hot core real dizzy in even 20 inches shouldn't it? Dizzy enough so that it will fly straight....dont'ya think?

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Enough is enough! Retiring is one thing but but but......this just ain't right!

    Can I cut my Remington 798 458 win mags barrel down from 26 inches to 20-22 inches without loosing a lot. The 1 in 14 twist ought to get a 350 grain Hot core real dizzy in even 20 inches shouldn't it? Dizzy enough so that it will fly straight....dont'ya think?

    Yes. 22 inches for sure and probably 20" with the shorter bullets, up to 400 grains anyway. The caliber really does ok in a short barrel if you don't try to push 500 grains. The caliber is very accurate and you can stabilize a 500 grain in one in 14" but impact stability suffers when velocity drops below about 2000 fps. 2100 fps is an almost magic number for 45 caliber velocity. Shoot up to the weight to achieve 2100 fps and you'll be in good shape.

    I'm still wanting to go to Mexico. When they get some hazardous items I need in stock. Ammo, powder, primers. They are sold out of all I want. I'll PM a cell# we can plan a raid on Mexico.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?



  3. #3
    Member The Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    1,089

    Default

    Hey EKC, I'm not Murphy but I do have a 20" 458WM. I chronoed the 350gr Speer you speek of just last weekend. A stiff charge of 335 or 4198 will do 2500fps from my gun with no pressure signs and my load is still under book max. Good shootin.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Yes. 22 inches for sure and probably 20" with the shorter bullets, up to 400 grains anyway. The caliber really does ok in a short barrel if you don't try to push 500 grains. The caliber is very accurate and you can stabilize a 500 grain in one in 14" but impact stability suffers when velocity drops below about 2000 fps. 2100 fps is an almost magic number for 45 caliber velocity. Shoot up to the weight to achieve 2100 fps and you'll be in good shape.

    I'm still wanting to go to Mexico. When they get some hazardous items I need in stock. Ammo, powder, primers. They are sold out of all I want. I'll PM a cell# we can plan a raid on Mexico.
    Thanks Murphy! I'll be in touch shortly!

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Hey EKC, I'm not Murphy but I do have a 20" 458WM. I chronoed the 350gr Speer you speek of just last weekend. A stiff charge of 335 or 4198 will do 2500fps from my gun with no pressure signs and my load is still under book max. Good shootin.
    Thanks Kid! That bullet at that velocity should be good for most anything. I'll probably send it to you to do if you don't mind working on an Iowegion gun. I would need the front sight moved back as well.

    Thanks EKC

  6. #6
    Member The Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    1,089

    Default

    Heck no I certainly don't mind working on a fella from Iowa's rifle, and you'll get special treatment for being a fellow 458er.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Homes in MT and ID
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Im not Murphy either, but I do have an 18.5 inch 458 built on an old Mauser MKX action. I shoot 400gr. bullets at a solid 2350 fps. without getting into high pressure issues. I never push the pressures with big bore DG type of cartridges. Leaving room for error is wise. This is my old AK guiding/kicking around rifle and I have not shot it in many years, but I did notice that my custom barrel at only 18.5 inches was giving vels that exactly equaled my friends Ruger #1 with a 24 inch barrel. I suspect that the slicker custom barrel simply yeilded more speed than the Ruger barrel. I'm not a fan of 500gr. bullets in 458, especially for big bear. A stiff expanding 350gr. or 400gr. bullet is what I like for big bear. For Buffalo, a good 450gr. solid is the ticket. Too much terminal stabilization problems with 500gr. bullets in .458 for me.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Heck no I certainly don't mind working on a fella from Iowa's rifle, and you'll get special treatment for being a fellow 458er.
    It'll be headed your way shortly!

  9. #9

    Default

    Good to know Murphy is still kicking and that was an issue solved quick
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •