Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Ruger Compact in 260 Rem

Default Custom Ruger Compact in 260 Rem

I will post when it gets here and I have it set up, but the Custom Ruger M77 Mk II in 260 Rem with a 1-9 twist Shilen octagon shaped barrel, glass bedded in a wooden stock (It use to be a compact but a longer barrel was needed while having a light and ridged barrel, hence the octagon barrel) and will be in next week. I will be putting a new VX-II 2-7x33mm on it.

This will be a light carry rifle for the mountains for coues deer and black bear as well as deer and hogs down south. This will be my spot and stalk rifle for small to medium game.

A friend has helped me research powder and charges. I owned a 260 Rem when it was first put out by Ruger. I did some reloading for it and will be try some different bullets. I will be using MRP, H4350, H414 and 760 along with a few other powders and will be able to drive a 130gr bullet at 2967fps or there about.

I also learned with my first 260 Rem, that the BC with the .264 bullet is so great and velocities are not magnum velocities with the 260 that I need a bullet that will open up quick. I hunted with the Scirocco which is a tough bullet and at 60yds it past through the deer and hit a pine tree 2 feet behind the deer and it took off and we never found that deer and there was no blood. So I need a more frangible bullet because the .264 bullet will really penetrate deep. The BT, SST, SMK and the VLD like below

Berger Hunting Bullets 264 Caliber, 6.5mm (264 Diameter) 130 Grain VLD Hollow Point Boat Tail Box of 100 BC 552

I will post pictures when it is all set up and also future load work.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Yes sir! Right on par with Jack O's heavily praised 270 only in a lighter short action package!

The 260 has been showing up at a lot of long range competitions too due to the high BC of the heavy for caliber bullets! They shoot flat and pierce the wind like the big boys with a lot less fuss!

Keep us posted!

I will keep you posted
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Well, to take the game I want with the 260 Rem and have a all around bullet I need a Partition. If I can get the 100gr Patition over 3300fps with accuracy or the 125gr Partition over 3000fps and with accuracy, which ever one does the above I will go with. The Partition is a killer with it's none bonded front part and the partition protected two thirds of the back part of the bullet make it and all around killer on game for the 260 Rem or for that matter any cartridge.

The Partition is more than the standard which I agree it is, because the front part of that bullet opens up at a minimum of 1800fps and the last 2/3rds allows it to be driven at unlimited speeds and it continues to do it's job. Not other bullet is quit like it. Some do some things better and some do other things better but none of them do all the Partition does, that is why I know (even though I toy and use other bullets) it is the all around bullet I need to use so I can just use one bullet in the field and know it will work on all my situations within my hunting and shooting abilities.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

If I ever build another custom rifle, it will be pretty much like yours, but probably a round 22" barrel. And lefty action, of course.

My go-to carry gun for light to medium game since 1972 has been a lefty Rem 700, McMillan stock (for the last 15 years), and a 22" Shilen target barrel chambered to a long-throat 257 Roberts. With a 2x7 Leupold compact (another funny coincidence), it doesn't tip the scales much over 7 pounds, if that.

While I've had superb results with the 257 and 120 gn partitions on deer, antelope, caribou and one elk, I've always yenned for the capability to shoot a little heavier bullet at the upper end. For many years my focus was the 6.5x55, but since the advent of the 260, the 6.5 has moved to second choice.

One thing I've been thinking about on the 260, though. How about a long throat? With that 308 based case in an 06 action, it would seem to be a natural to throat it so the 140 Nosler could be seated flush with the base of the neck. The extra powder capacity is put to good use in the long-throat 257, and I'd expect the same of the 260.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    If I ever build another custom rifle, it will be pretty much like yours, but probably a round 22" barrel. And lefty action, of course.

My go-to carry gun for light to medium game since 1972 has been a lefty Rem 700, McMillan stock (for the last 15 years), and a 22" Shilen target barrel chambered to a long-throat 257 Roberts. With a 2x7 Leupold compact (another funny coincidence), it doesn't tip the scales much over 7 pounds, if that.

While I've had superb results with the 257 and 120 gn partitions on deer, antelope, caribou and one elk, I've always yenned for the capability to shoot a little heavier bullet at the upper end. For many years my focus was the 6.5x55, but since the advent of the 260, the 6.5 has moved to second choice.

One thing I've been thinking about on the 260, though. How about a long throat? With that 308 based case in an 06 action, it would seem to be a natural to throat it so the 140 Nosler could be seated flush with the base of the neck. The extra powder capacity is put to good use in the long-throat 257, and I'd expect the same of the 260.
    Yes, I believe you would make good use of the long throat and the extra powder capacity in driving a heavier bullet at better velocities. Very interesting.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Yes, I believe you would make good use of the long throat and the extra powder capacity in driving a heavier bullet at better velocities. Very interesting.

if I were to use a standard action.....a 6.5-06 would be the way to go......might as well match the action to the cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    if I were to use a standard action.....a 6.5-06 would be the way to go......might as well match the action to the cartridge.
    Yes, the advantage of the 06 as compared to the 308 case, velocity wise, is clear.

I personally for a mountain spot and stalk rifle, where I am on the go from first light till sunset, I like the shorter case and action with a very light weight scope. That is why I chose the 260 Remington. Had one before and it was a fun rifle to use and I know this one will be also.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Custom Ruger M77 Mk II in 260 Rem with a 1-9 twist Shilen octagon shaped barrel, glass bedded in a wooden stock... and will be in next week.
    I've got to figure out what you do or did for a living. What does this make? 5 new rifles in about as many months? .358 Win, .338 WM, 340 WBY, AR-15, and now a .260 (did I miss any?) That sounds like somebody won the lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    I've got to figure out what you do or did for a living. What does this make? 5 new rifles in about as many months? .358 Win, .338 WM, 340 WBY, AR-15, and now a .260 (did I miss any?) That sounds like somebody won the lottery.
    Or maybe he's just our guiding light in keeping our priorities straight! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Or maybe he's just our guiding light in keeping our priorities straight! ;-)
    He'll have to talk to my wife about that.

He'll have to talk to my wife about that.
    Oh yeah. A total of six traditional muzzleloaders migrated into our house last year, and my wife keeps using the term "moratorium." Does that sound to you like a bigger gun room, or what? ;-)

You must be a recent person on this forum because you left out so many rifles and cartridges I have worked with and hunted with as well as reported the results on this forum, like my 257Wby, 300Wby, 257/300Wby, 375Wby, 350Rem mag, three different 30-06's, 338Win Mag and some more. I love to find out what they will do in the field on game.

Ok, I will tell you all what I do and it may change your view of me or it may improve you view or you just might remain indifferent as always.

1. I hold a Ph.D. in Philosophy and one in Psychology.

2. I am an adjunct professor of Philosophy & Psychology teaching Theo-centric Psychotherapy and Philosophy.

3. I am a practicing Clinical Counselor (advanced certification).

4. I am a practicing Minister/preacher.

5. I have lectured on Philosophy in Europe, Asia, Africa and in the USA.

6. I am a husband, father and grandfather.

7. I am an avid hunter and shooter who loves to do research load development for many cartridges and then hunt with my developed results, but most and foremost I am a dyed-in-the-wool hunter.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

You must be a recent person on this forum because you left out so many rifles and cartridges I have worked with and hunted with as well as reported the results on this forum, like my 257Wby, 300Wby, 257/300Wby, 375Wby, 350Rem mag, three different 30-06's, 338Win Mag and some more. I love to find out what they will do in the field on game.

Ok, I will tell you all what I do and it may change your view of me or it may improve you view or you just might remain indifferent as always.

1. I hold a Ph.D. in Philosophy and one in Psychology.

2. I am an adjunct professor of Philosophy & Psychology teaching Theo-centric Psychotherapy and Philosophy.

3. I am a practicing Clinical Counselor (advanced certification).

4. I am a practicing Minister/preacher.

5. I have lectured on Philosophy in Europe, Asia, Africa and of course in the USA.

6. I am a husband, father and grandfather.

7. I am an avid hunter and shooter who loves to do research load development for many cartridges and then hunt with my developed results, but most and foremost I am a dyed-in-the-wool hunter.
    No indifference here whatsoever. Quite the contrary. And I'm not so recent that I didn't know about your other rifles, just that these were the most recent additions. No snubbing my nose going on from here. I'm simply recognizing a potential hero! ;-)

Oh, and it's cool to hear you are a minister (that just reinforces the already good opinion I had of you). I am as well.

evan

Hey, cool Evan, that's great. What is your favorite battery of rifles and what is your favorite thing to hunt?
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Hey, cool Evan, that's great. What is your favorite battery of rifles and what is your favorite thing to hunt?
    Well, much like you, my favorites are the ones I've got I guess. I haven't been a certified gun nut for as long as many on here. I got a .270 Rem. 700 when I was 18 or 19 and that was all I had until three years ago or so (I'm 33 now). But I now have a .358 Norma custom commercial mauser that I built with instruction from a gunsmith friend, a 6.8 SPC mini-mauser, and I am currently playing with my newest toy which is a Winchester 94 I had rebored to 35-30/30.

As far as hunting goes, whitetail deer is all I have had the ability to hunt so far as they are the only big game species near by here in West Virginia. Feral hogs are stating to show up around here though and I hope to get out for one of them soon. I have dreams and aspirations of making it out for some of the big boys someday though. Perhaps that's why I like this forum so much, living vicariously through others adventures. That and all the knowledge I glean from here. But right now two toddlers have higher priority than fantasy hunting adventures. Thanks for asking.

Well, much like you, my favorites are the ones I've got I guess. I haven't been a certified gun nut for as long as many on here. I got a .270 Rem. 700 when I was 18 or 19 and that was all I had until three years ago or so (I'm 33 now). But I now have a .358 Norma custom commercial mauser that I built with instruction from a gunsmith friend, a 6.8 SPC mini-mauser, and I am currently playing with my newest toy which is a Winchester 94 I had rebored to 35-30/30.

As far as hunting goes, whitetail deer is all I have had the ability to hunt so far as they are the only big game species near by here in West Virginia. Feral hogs are stating to show up around here though and I hope to get out for one of them soon. I have dreams and aspirations of making it out for some of the big boys someday though. Perhaps that's why I like this forum so much, living vicariously through others adventures. That and all the knowledge I glean from here. But right now two toddlers have higher priority than fantasy hunting adventures. Thanks for asking.
    Hey, take care of that family and the time will come when you will get to experience a special hunt. Also, keep your 270 Rem you got when a teenager and don't ever sell it or trade it. I really like the 358 Norma, that is quit a cartridge and I like your newest, that is a cool rebore deal.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Are we rifle nuts-- nuts or not???

Okay Beartooth, you are qualified to answer this question now that you let the cat out of the bag......!!!!!!!

Are "WE" all crazy or not??? By "WE" I mean all of us that are so passionate about our rifles, hunting, experimenting, loading, etc.; the things that make a rifleman...

I ask because at times I've been told, "You're nuts", "You are crazy", "Have you flipped your lid, you don't need another rilfe"... I could go on, but you know what they say about "US" because you are one of "US"!!!

So Dr. Bear, what is the prognosis???
    Yes, I will PM you my credit card number for the co-pay, are you in-network and do you take Blue Cross/Blue Shield???!!!

s
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozarks View Post
    Okay Beartooth, you are qualified to answer this question now that you let the cat out of the bag......!!!!!!!

Now how can a crazy man tell another crazy man he is qualified????? That is just crazy!!!!!

Are "WE" all crazy or not??? By "WE" I mean all of us that are so passionate about our rifles, hunting, experimenting, loading, etc.; the things that make a rifleman...

Yes "WE" are crazy!!! We are crazy about guns, hunting and reloading.

I ask because at times I've been told, "You're nuts", "You are crazy", "Have you flipped your lid, you don't need another rilfe"... I could go on, but you know what they say about "US" because you are one of "US"!!!

Yes, I know what she has said about me but now I have counseled her to believe or at least live in denial about the real reasons for my purchases, because now she believes I am buying all my guns to leave to our grandson Jordan who is her favorite grandchild. Yes, she is crazy about me, I mean Jordan!!!!!

So Dr. Bear, what is the prognosis???

Due to our wives Paranoid Personality Disorders where in they distrusts us and are suspicious of our motives to deceive them concerning hidden purchases of new guns and inflated reasons for their need - we end up experiencing the increased problem of Schizotypal Personality Disorder, which is a pattern of detachment from social actives and restricted conversation to avoid our wives possibly being able to verify their suspicions about our real motives, so we engage in the eccentricities of a behavior called "reloading" which requires one to be left alone so as not to make a mistake with any powder charge therefore creating a possible catastrophe, allowing us to escape their scrutiny.
    This leads to our continued deeper progression into Avoidant Personality Disorder which develops into a pattern of social inhibition, feelings of inadequacy to handle our wives arguments and constant confrontations concerning our activities and money being spent, creating a hypersensitivity to negative evaluation, causing us to engage more in the behavior know as "reloading". Conclusion: WE ARE DRIVEN CRAZY - THEREFORE WE ARE CRAZY!!!!

Yes, I will PM you my credit card number for the co-pay, are you in-network and do you take Blue Cross/Blue Shield???!!!

You really can't afford this and I do not have the time because I am "reloading."
    Really, you can't afford this counseling and anyway as I said, I am reloading!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Thanks, that gave me a good laugh, I needed that. You know what Reader's Digest says..."Laughter is the best medicine", well almost as good as a new rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast