Thread: smith&wesson 500 extraction problems

Default smith&wesson 500 extraction problems

i just picked up a new 500 and went out and shot it an when i tried to eject the casings out of the cylinder it was almost like the were wedged in i put 20 rounds through it and happend every time i had to push them out with a punch anyone have any idea what the problem is maybe if i could fix it or take it up with smith

Did you clean it before you fired it?

no i didnt this is my first revolver so im gonna have to say i dont know much about them at all i didnt see anything that needed cleaning what is the proper way to go about it

When I bought my first "new" revolver when I turned 21, the guy told me to clean it very well. He said the oil they use to pack new guns in, is fired on, it turns to concrete and is hard to remove then. This is most likely your problem. Just need to clean it very well now, extra well in fact. Get some Wipe Out-WWG had in a few weeks ago. Hoppe's Elite cleaners do well for me too.

Not sure if rifles are packaged with same type of thick oil stuff. Most handguns are for sure though. Bummer the gun shop didn't give you some advice. I always clean every new gun very detailed before firing. Only one I didn't, Henry Lever gun, because the manual said not to disassemble for cleaning.

No need for a Gunsmith yet. Clean it, go shoot it, let us know how it runs for you.

S&W "X" frames are stainless and I don't think they are heavily oiled at the factory, I know my 460V was not. Clean it good and see but I doubt that does the trick.

What ammo are you using in it? Tim from Buffalo Bore says there is a run of newer 460s that were showing pressure signs with some of their hottest ammo due to tighter than usual tolerances from S&W changing something in the machining. Since this is a new 500 I wonder if this could something along the same lines, just made a tad tighter than they were before and now start showing pressure with the hotter loads.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default .500 extraction issues

First simply give S&W customer service a call and see what they have to say. Those guys love to take care of their customers and will make certain the issue gets resolved to your satisfaction.

Best "free" advice you will ever get and straight from the horse's mouth. No one know more about large caliber powerfull revolvers than S&W.

Have fun with your new .500 - it is quite a gun and a real work of gun manufacturing. There is a special pleasure in having the best biggest meanest production double action revolver.

As a side bonus you can watch all the Ruger guys turn green with envy with their heavy crude cast under-powered imitations!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default 500 s&w

i was putting some winchester platinum tip 400gr pthp through it. i picked up some of the wipe out so i will try that but whenever i got the gun it came with the two compensators one for jacketed bullets one for lead cast and the one for lead didnt even fit the gun there is three slots the compensator has to line up with and it was very close but didnt fit so already had to call smith about that and they are sending me a new one for it.

Default S&W Service

S&W will take care of you on the extraction issue also. Please let us know what you find out.

FYI- I've been using the jacket compensator for the heavy lead bullets also - the front sight gets dirty but it doesn't really matter to me. I need the top venting to help hold the muzzle rise down with heavy cast bullets - it shoots too high as is. Not sure where I will use the other compensator except maybe with very light loads. I have to wonder if you could use various compensators with different top venting to help keep the point of impact consistant with different loads.

Note that the locking screw for the compensator turn out to lock. I missed this when I first got mine and wondered why I couldn't get the compensator tight in the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by dewayne View Post
    i was putting some winchester platinum tip 400gr pthp through it. i picked up some of the wipe out so i will try that but whenever i got the gun it came with the two compensators one for jacketed bullets one for lead cast and the one for lead didnt even fit the gun there is three slots the compensator has to line up with and it was very close but didnt fit so already had to call smith about that and they are sending me a new one for it.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    FYI- I've been using the jacket compensator for the heavy lead bullets also - the front sight gets dirty but it doesn't really matter to me. I need the top venting to help hold the muzzle rise down with heavy cast bullets
    The cast comp for the 460s is longer and vents up in front of the barrel, is the one for 500 different with no up venting?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

S&W will take care of you on the extraction issue also. Please let us know what you find out.

FYI- I've been using the jacket compensator for the heavy lead bullets also - the front sight gets dirty but it doesn't really matter to me. I need the top venting to help hold the muzzle rise down with heavy cast bullets - it shoots too high as is. Not sure where I will use the other compensator except maybe with very light loads. I have to wonder if you could use various compensators with different top venting to help keep the point of impact consistant with different loads.

Note that the locking screw for the compensator turn out to lock. I missed this when I first got mine and wondered why I couldn't get the compensator tight in the barrel.
    huh so you use the jacket compensator for the lead bulllets i have heard that you can have lead shavings come back at you have you ever had that happen because if not then i will do the same

Default .500 Comp

I have the 4" .500. It came with two comps - one has holes on the top; the other has holes on the side only. I didn't get any instructions with mine - it was a used gun -and I don't recall finding any on line either.

Perhaps I'm mistaken but my understanding is that the comp with the holes is for jacketed bullets and the one with the holes on the side only is for lead bullets. The one with the holes on the top makes a real mess of the sides of the front site and top of barrel with lead bullets but I don't see any other negative effects. I've had no lead shavings come back on me and the gun seems to shoot accurately. So far I've fired around 150 rds of lead bullets with more to follow this weekend. All were 440 gr GC bullets - I don't have any other mold yet.

I did try the one with the solid top and it did have more muzzel rise but that was no surprise. I didn't see any other differences.

S&W customer service is closed now but perhaps someone else can shed some light on the comps.

Quote Originally Posted by dewayne View Post
    huh so you use the jacket compensator for the lead bulllets i have heard that you can have lead shavings come back at you have you ever had that happen because if not then i will do the same

If you have a used pistol, it just might be that you have a pistol like a barrel with a lot of lead shavings in the rifling which might also have a dirty cylinder, which would sure cause for hard extraction from the cylinder of your S&W. I would clean the cylinder very well and check for a leaded bore also, first thing. Try it again and check again for hard extraction after you clean the cylinder. I've shot a lot of rounds through a S&W 500 and have not noted any hard extraction, this is the only S&W I've not had hard extraction from after a dirty cylinder. I know this one is better than all my 40+ year old S&W's?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I have the 4" .500. It came with two comps - one has holes on the top; the other has holes on the side only. I didn't get any instructions with mine - it was a used gun -and I don't recall finding any on line either.
    The info that came with my 460 says the holes by the sight fowell with lead that is very hard to get out and that is why 2 comps. I just use the longer lead come for everything. I wonder if the 460 lead comp will fit a 500? I think the hole is big enough for a 500 bullet.

Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

tvfinak; seems like everyone has the topic covered with good information. I have a 500 and would be happy to send you a copy of the manual. PM me a snail mail ad. and I'll copy mine and get it in the mail to you.

Default Comps

Thanks for the info - so far no lead build up in mine but I'm shooting fairly hot loads. If I do get build up I'll shoot some hot loads with light jacketed bullets and blow it out! Leading may happen with light loads but shooting then I won't need the comp anyway.

I have a .460 also. I'll see if the comps will interchange and post the results.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    The info that came with my 460 says the holes by the sight fowell with lead that is very hard to get out and that is why 2 comps. I just use the longer lead come for everything. I wonder if the 460 lead comp will fit a 500? I think the hole is big enough for a 500 bullet.

Default 500 s&w

ok just got back from shooting again and it worked flawlessy i cleaned the gun with wipe out and tried puttin the spent casings in the chambers and they were still tight getting about 3/16" from seating all the way down today i shot some hornady out of it and like i said no problems so no more winchester ammo will go in my gun thanks a lot guys for sharing your knowledge

Default Comps

I pulled out my .460 and checked the comp against my .500 comp. The .460 comp will not go on the .500 which is good since the bore is too small. Looks like with some minor lathe work and enlarging the bore it would work - I may give it a try if I can pick up a spare .460 comp.

I found my instruction booklet for the .460 - I assume it is the same as the .500 since it is pretty generic. The instruction show which compensator is for lead and jacked bullets but don't tell why the difference. More research is in order.

I guess another option is to buy the 5" with the intergral compensator and then I won't have to worry about changing comps!

Thanks for the info - so far no lead build up in mine but I'm shooting fairly hot loads. If I do get build up I'll shoot some hot loads with light jacketed bullets and blow it out! Leading may happen with light loads but shooting then I won't need the comp anyway.

I have a .460 also. I'll see if the comps will interchange and post the results.

I don't know why but I can sure tell you that my none standard M- 29 has a 5" barrel and it's my all time favorite of all my S&W's to carry. I hope your .500 will be the same. I've always wondered why S&W didn't make that length a standard fr sell? It sure makes a great length for a carry pistol. I do wish more of my S&W's were this length.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

i was looking at something like this for the 460 set up ..add to the unit with a machine out cuts in the side also to help with the recoil as it need ..

I am also having extraction issues with my .460v firing partionioned .460 winchester rounds (260 gr). Even after firing some .454 and giving it a good cleaning I still have extraction issues with the winchester .460 rounds (although they were slightly easier to remove). I am thinking (and hoping) its the ammo, but I will have to try some different rounds to confirm that.

S&W sent me a shell casing with the gun (I am guessing it is the round they test fired). Its a hornady .460 and it slides easily back into the chamber, so I may go pick some of that up.