Thread: Break in on new machines.

Default Break in on new machines.

The other thread made me post this one because I'm a new owner.

What is the best way in your thoughts how to break in a new machine?

Default Go Riding

Just go riding
    Find some one to ride with you to Knik Glacier and back. Thats the best shake down. If anything breaks get it fixed on warrenty.

Mike

Default Just ride it.

From my personal expierience I have just rode 'em. I have never paid attention to manufacturer's recommended break in procedures. I also don't "rally" my machines either so I just get on 'em and ride and do the things that I do on my machines. I have never had a wheeler in the shop for anything other than a winch and annual maintenance. And all I have ever owned was Polaris - OMG can you believe it a Polaris owner who has had not problem with Polaris products!?

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    - OMG can you believe it a Polaris owner who has had not problem with Polaris products!?
    That's a first
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default why are most riders jealous of polaris?

just wondering?????????

LOL, Huskerhav.

I think Polaris hit a home run with their new RMK sled but their wheelers are too heavy and we've had a couple of lemons that have soured me on them. Reading the forums, the majority of mechanical problems people seem to report on ATV's are Polaris'.

I'll stay Skidoo for my sleds and Yamaha for my wheelers.

You can have all the Polaris' you want...I promise not to go all jealous on you.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Default i will say this much dee, polaris in my opinion

are wonderful machines, there main downfall is that they are not the simplest of machines to take care of maintenance wise. In other words, you need a clutch puller and belt puller for most things in regards to any engine maintenance. I deal with that because i love the product, it is an american vehicle and i would rather send the money to minnesota instead of japan. It is more important for me to see money stay in this country instead of funding japan. So yes enjoy your yamaha, suzuki, honda etc. i choose to support the great state of minnesota.

......Which is why I ride Arctic Cats.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by huskerhav View Post
    just wondering?????????
    Not jealous of Polaris just Polaris owners.....Because they must have a money tree in the backyard as much as they are in the shop for repairs every other week you could buy a VERY nice Yamaha or Arctic cat that will last forever

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    ......... you could buy a VERY nice Yamaha or Arctic cat that will last forever

Or maybe only half a day in zeb's case

Default really roger, i see you dont know much about polaris

I have two 250 trail bosses. One from 1993 and the other from 1995. Close to 5000 miles on both machines, replaced a belt a couple of years ago and one starter and that is it. I am proud to have my machines and wouldnt ride the junk you espouse. thanks

husk, they made a great machine back then, then had some problems in the 2000 era, don't know if they got the bugs worked out yet, but that came from a dealer/mech. I know. I was advised about 4 years ago not to buy one of the new ones.

Don't know how much there was to it, so I went with the honda. I do have a polaris snowmachine and put 8000 miles on it.

Interesting read on breaking in new motors.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I'm buying a new ATV this year and plan on trying this method.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Quote Originally Posted by huskerhav View Post
    I have two 250 trail bosses. One from 1993 and the other from 1995. Close to 5000 miles on both machines, replaced a belt a couple of years ago and one starter and that is it. I am proud to have my machines and wouldn't ride the junk you espouse. thanks
    Of course it runs It's a 250 no power what trouble could you possibly get in Funny I have a Yamaha 350 18,000 miles has not been in the shop 1 time. Thats why my business does so well I RUN YAMAHA'S ,If I ran Polaris I would have to have 30 of them 15 to run tours and 15 in the shop at any given time . Glad you like yours

Thanks for the post travelers, something to think about.

Default Dang

I also drive a Chevy......

Default Thanks for your bashing roger. You sound like a great

business man. Yes you have 100 cc on me, great for you. For the record i went out many times with your yamahas and they never proved better or more powerful on the trail than my trailbosses. So keep your sarcasm to yourself. Thanks again for bashing everyone else. I can assure you that i will do my best to ensure that you never get any business from me. Have a good day sir.

For those who might say this is harsh, let me first and foremost say it isnt ment to insult anyone, but when you have an individual who seems to openly mock others and their machines, well i have a problem with that. ATVs are all things to all people. Everyone has issues with models and machines. YOu can bash my polaris all you want but i have been out with many different models in the past. Yamahas broke down, honda i had to tow out because of a blown transmission, suzuki frozen brakes in the winter season, so get over the "mine is the best" again you like your machine and be proud of it but dont insult me for my loyalty to an american product, made by americans and making american jobs.

Angry one other thing roger. dont question me and "what trouble"

i have been in. I have put my machine thru living hell. I have floated it down 50 yards of river outside seward, handlebar deep in mud on the palmer hay flats, as far back as you can be in the nelcihina trail system, broken thru the ice in the dead of winter on the way to knik glacier, driving it thru winter trails to hit flathorn lake in negative 25 degree weather, towing a couple hundred pound trail across bogs on the way to a cabin on the nugget trail in the wrangels. Yes my machine has been thru hell and it is still alive and running. So if you are so smart before shooting your mouth off, think before you speak. thanks

Default Whoa there- I was just joking!

Hey Huskerhav-- I was just kidding! Most of the time when the topic of "best manufacturer" comes up, a little kidding around occurs. I didn't mean to offend. Polaris won the 2010 ATV of the Year. Obviously they make a good ride. I just love my Yamaha. We all have our favorites, and we all have our least favorites. I'm sorry if you thought I was bashing. I thought it was all in good fun. Did not mean to offend.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.