Thread: Emergency Repair/long distance travel kits

Default Emergency Repair/long distance travel kits

I wanted to start a good thread on what you keep in your emergency repair kit, well sort of. I am sure everyone carries that worst case scenario kit with you on the long trip, you know spare plugs, assortment of tools, maybe and extra chain or something. But what i really want to know is what has been that oh **** i wish i would have packed it item that you didnt have when you needed it for backwoods emergency repair situations. Thanks.

I always like to keep with me a packet of cut to fit gasket material. The ones with several sheets and several different materials, fiber, cork/rubber, high temp rubber etc. They work in a pinch, just be sure to bring a razor or something to cut them...

Epoxy. A light weight come-a-long. A bow saw to put dead wood in a bog.

Default good idea mike

where would you get a good assortment kit like that?

Quote Originally Posted by huskerhav View Post
    where would you get a good assortment kit like that?
    AIH or napa But its not going to be a kit. You have to put it together yourself.

We carry a pretty good assortment of stuff-

Crescent Wrench
    Multi-tip screwdriver
    Leatherman
    Large knife
    Heavy duty zip ties
    1/2 quart of oil
    Duct tape
    Small assortment of bolts, screws, cotter pins
    Rope and parachute cord
    Magic Metal (a lot like JB Weld)
    Aerokroil (Like WD40 on steroids)
    Loctite threadlocker
    Tire repair kit with plugs, patches and an air pump
    hatchet or Kukri knife for cutting wood
    Saw
    A roll of high temp, high pressure self-fusing repair tape

That's just what we carry for field repairs. It all fits up in the box on the front rack of my rig. I also carry a med kit and survival gear.

We've had multiple field repairs where later we added some stuff to our kit. Tire puncture at Eureka precipitated the tire repair kit, which we got to use a couple rides later about 25 miles back up Pinochle (not a trail you'd want to ride out on a flat!). The assortment of bolts, screws, pins got put in after we had an incident where the keeper pin on the castle nut holding the front drive assembly fell out and allowed it to fall apart- we also lost a pin towing once. Aerokroil simply can't be beat as a lubricant and water displacer and we use it often. The oil came on board after one of our riding partners rolled their machine and all the oil ended up in the air box. We tried to dip it out with a small dipper we made out of the top of a water bottle and funnel it back in with a funnel we made out of a paper map but were unable to get enough of the oil and that ended our ride.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

adding to the above lists
    hose clamps ( or the tool you can get at the fair to make them from stainless baling wire)
    stainless bailing wire (use it for many repairs even made a c clip once to get us out with it)
    a 6-8 inch piece of cromoly tubing can be used with clamps or wire to splint a broken A arm or whatever
    ratchet strap to reseat a tire bead in the field with the 12 volt pump
    tow strap to pull your buddy out of the mud
    cell phone or sat phone or spot for serious medical emergency
    waterproof lighter or matches
    small headlamp
    topo map or gps

Wink

Another add-on. A SHOVEL!!! We have used the winch and a shovel more then anything. An extra length of line. for when you 1. dont have enough winch line to hook up to something. And 2. when your buddy is stuck so good that when you try to winch him out, it just pulls you to him, you can anchor yourself with it. Towstraps are huge as well.

The first thing I do is take the stock tool kit and throw it in the trash. On my quad I carry a complete metric 3/8" drive socket set and combination wrench set, a high quality 15 in 1 screw driver, a quality #2 Philips screwdriver and a high quality straight slot screwdriver, a set of big vice grips, a set of needle nose vise grips, a roll of electrical tap and a bag of zip ties. When I got my AC 500 I went through the ENTIRE machine and made sure a I had a socket or wrench for every single bolt on the machine.

I carry a couple mountaineering pullies and a chunk of 1/2" rescue rope to compliment my winch. I carry a fold up army shovel and a machete.

For tire repair I simply carry a small 12V pump and some slime. With my Mud Bug tires I've never needed them in 2 years.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

doug,

you sound about like me. i like to make sure i have everything i need should something bad happens in the way back country. Your list is great and one that everyone should have.

This is what I carry and was made up from reviewing the many resonses to a similar question two years ago and from my own ideas.

ATV EMERGENCY KIT
    AIR COMPRESSOR
    AXE
    BATTERIES SPARE 2 AA (FOR GPS)
    BEANS (CAN)
    BEAR SPRAY
    BLANKET
    CAN OPENER (MILITARY)
    FLASHLIGHT (D SIZE)
    FREEZER BAGS (4.5L) AND TIES
    FUSES
    GLOVES RUBBER BACKED
    GLOVES WORK
    GUM
    HAM (CANNED)
    JACK SHIRT (OLD)
    JUMPER CABLES
    KNIFE WITH SAW
    LEATHERMAN
    LIGHTER
    MANUAL
    MOSQUITO HEAD NET OR JACKET & REPELLENT
    NUTS & BOLTS
    OIL 1 QUART
    RAIN GEAR
    RATCHET STRAP
    SAW
    SHOVEL
    SLIME
    SNATCH BLOCK
    SPACE BLANKET
    SPARK PLUG
    SPOON
    SURVIVAL KIT (ASPIRIN, BANDAGES, IODINE, SPARE COMPASS....)
    SYPHON
    TAPE FLORESCENT
    TAPE ELECTRICAL
    TAPE DUCT
    TIRE VALVE CAPS
    TIRE REPAIR/PLUG KIT
    TIRE GAUGE
    TOILET PAPER
    TOOLS (SOCKETS SET, SCREW DRIVERS, SPANNERS, WRENCHES, VICE GRIPS 2, PLIERS REG & NEEDLE NOSE)
    TOOTHBRUSH & PASTE
    TOW STRAPS
    TOWELS 2
    WIRE

I carry a good tool kit I put together myself, a survivial kit on me, Tire repair kit with valve cores, valve wrench and compressor, electrical tape and connectors and a few pieces of wire for making jumpers or splices.
    I also carry a tow strap, a tube of red RTV, extra spark plugs, and a length of extra starter rope. Extra fuel and oil (mine is an injected 2 stroke) and I make sure I'm up on my preventative maintence (grease, recent drive belt, lubed chains, fresh fuel and oil filters, fresh air filter, greased bearings etc.)
    Top off with appropriate gear for the trip, maps food, water, tent etc. and let someone know my trip schedule.

Happy Motoring!

Mountaintrekker

Check out this thread.. Lots of good info...
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum/...ave-tools.html

I carry the following items in my wheeler at all times.

1. Wire ties
    2. Tow strap
    3. First aid kit
    4. Tire plug kit
    5. T/P in a zip loc
    6. Tarp
    7. Ax
    8. Spare fender inserts
    9. Electric air compressor
    10. Bungees
    11. Fuzes
    12. GPS