Thread: Trail north of seward alaska question

Default Trail north of seward alaska question

I am not sure of the name but there is a trail between seward and kenai lake. THis trail would be on the east side of the road if traveling up from seward. YOu park at a small pulloff by a rail road crossing. the trail itself runs almost straight up a hill and you end up on top of a mountain range with an old mining claim. Questions.... What is the name of this trail? Can you still travel on this with an ATV? What is the approximate mile marker? Thanks all for you help and info.

Default A lot of users

I hunted one that kinda meets that description just south of lower trail lake. crown pt mine road??? A lot of hunters and trail riders even toyotas up there. I was in there for a fall bear hunt and saw zero bears. A friend flew the area a few days later and said there were bears on every other mountain. Hunted that in 06 haven't been back so I dont know if it is still open. If I were just riding maybe I would do it again, if I am looking for bears I'd go else where. Just my .02.

Default Crown Pt. Road

Yeah, its Crown Pt. I don't know the mile marker but, you park right by a lake. Make sure you stay on the trail when going up or down the mountain. My brother tried to take a short cut and rolled his four wheeler 10-12 times. It took us almost two hours to find the right trail the first time we went. Good luck and have fun...

Quote Originally Posted by huskerhav View Post
    I am not sure of the name but there is a trail between seward and kenai lake. THis trail would be on the east side of the road if traveling up from seward. YOu park at a small pulloff by a rail road crossing. the trail itself runs almost straight up a hill and you end up on top of a mountain range with an old mining claim. Questions.... What is the name of this trail? Can you still travel on this with an ATV? What is the approximate mile marker? Thanks all for you help and info.
    The only trail I know of (there could easily be others though) that runs along the east side of the highway between Seward and Kenai Lake is the Iditarod National Historic Trail. Check here (http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/aktrails.../iditarod1.htm) for information on the trail. It is a multi-use trail, but is closed to motorized vehicles from May 1 to November 30 according to the website above. It's hard to tell if the information on the site is for the entire length or just the Johnson Pass portion, but you could probably check with DNR to find out for sure.

...yes, Crown Point Mine "trail"....turn off the Seward Hwy to the right, after passing Solar Mountain Rd...can't remember the exact mile marker-

-yep, be careful...and the steep grade of shale zig-zags up toward the defunct mine...pretty cool bit of Peninsula
    history-

: as this picture indicates, we have taken our wheelers up there...and it was fun once;-lol-
    -this is when you get to the top...

....but, please.... anyone wanting to take wheelers on this trail, or any of the surrounding area trails....(just a suggestion, or a plea...I am not trying to tell anyone what to do)-keep in mind that the more 4-wheeler traffic up in these areas,or riders going off or beyond the trail....comes the eventual inevitability of these areas becoming restricted,or closed altogether regarding motorized travel and/or hunting...
    - the Kenai is beautiful, yet fragile....
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Wink

Actually there are Two mining trails in that area. One on each side of Falls Creek, both in downtown Crown Point, trailheads about a half mile apart. Both will get you into some good Black Bear and Goat country. Once in blue moon, you will still see a moose. The one trail is also branched off to Ptarmigin Lake and the other one is branched off to go to Vaght Lake. Careful around the old mine sites, as there is still a lot of explosives lying around. Excellent Blueberry Picking on the one north of the creek and excellent Raspberry Picking on the one south of the creek.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default totalled

Quote Originally Posted by aksheephuntress View Post
    -this is when you get to the top...

That looks a heckuva lot like the trail where I totalled my first ATV. What was the first year that Polaris had a liquid cooled automatic transmission? That was the one I totaled; when it was like 8 weeks old.

It rolled, tires over handlebars, downhill, about 1/2 mile or more. I was able to stop my head over heels roll after close to 1/4 mile; and was black and blue from head to toe but nothing broken.

The Polaris looked like the jolly green giant made a snowball out of it; every last protuberance was packed tightly into a single small ball of Polaris-junk.

Default Hey guys, good stuff and appreciate the information

i am curious do we know approximately how far these trails actually go. Also what lands do they fall on, please tell me its state and not the USSR National Forest lands. Anyone else have a mile marker for both of these trails or are they that obvious when you pullup to them? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    That looks a heckuva lot like the trail where I totalled my first ATV. What was the first year that Polaris had a liquid cooled automatic transmission? That was the one I totaled; when it was like 8 weeks old.

It rolled, tires over handlebars, downhill, about 1/2 mile or more. I was able to stop my head over heels roll after close to 1/4 mile; and was black and blue from head to toe but nothing broken.

The Polaris looked like the jolly green giant made a snowball out of it; every last protuberance was packed tightly into a single small ball of Polaris-junk.
    ....Yikes, Familyman!!

-that was one serious fall!
    -glad you were'nt hurt more serious than you were...

-yep, it kind of freaked me out a bit when I was up there...
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Actually there are Two mining trails in that area. One on each side of Falls Creek, both in downtown Crown Point, trailheads about a half mile apart. Both will get you into some good Black Bear and Goat country. Once in blue moon, you will still see a moose. The one trail is also branched off to Ptarmigin Lake and the other one is branched off to go to Vaght Lake. Careful around the old mine sites, as there is still a lot of explosives lying around. Excellent Blueberry Picking on the one north of the creek and excellent Raspberry Picking on the one south of the creek.

........you are exactly right, Res....

-Actually, I was purposely not mentioning the other one-(the Falls Creek Trail)-
    (nothing against you posting about it; I think it's pretty cool that you're familiar with it and have been up there...you are right on with your info about it...and I agree, the trail halfway up that branches off to Ptarmigan Lake is awesome

-anyway, the past few years there have been several guys on ATVs that have blatantly ignored the Forest Service signs; taking their machines way beyond the motorized restricted point up in there-
    there is a grader blade blockade and sign indicating that spot;
    (also, there's a sign describing it at the base of the trail at bottom-)

-the terrain up top there and beyond the grader blade is fragile, above timberline ground and foliage...
    .....the yahoos that have persisted to rip all that up with their machines are threatening the entire area, and trail, to become closed...

-also, the Forest Service created a bunch of SERIOUS berms the entire steep trail all the way up....and not by hand...
    -was 2005, I think-
    ....UUUUUP...then down...OUCH!- and UUUUUUUPthen down....(wince).....82 to be exact....the whole 3 miles up....I counted them....
    -lol-
    -they were supposedly built for "drainage purposes"- but, it's obviously they're also for detering the wheelers-(probably a good thing-)
    -I didn't know about the explosives laying around up in there, though...-Yikes!- thankyou for mentioning that, Res...

Default ....Hey, Rock_Skipper......

....btw.....Rock_Skipper -this was my Honda Rancher in this pic.....
    (hubby was riding it, this trip up-)

-great machine; and aggressive paddle-track tires....