Thread: 160 Accubond vs 150 Etip in 7MM Mag

Default 160 Accubond vs 150 Etip in 7MM Mag

I will be hunting caribou, sheep, Goat, and things of similar size. Of course always in bear country. Both bullets shoot well out of my gun; I am just wondering what the performance advantages would be for the extra dollars for the E-Tip? They are longer so less powder and they don't make anything bigger than a 150 grain in the e-tip. I like to shoot heavier 160-175 but but i keep hearing people rave about the E-Tip. Any feed back from those that have used these bullets would be appreciated.

Rich

Speculation only because I haven't shot enough game with either to draw conclusions.

But in 7 mag, the 160 grain weight is my overall favorite for downrange performance, both velocity retention and flatter trajectory. Yeah, you can start a 150 a little faster, but the 160 overtakes it way out there.

I've whacked a whole lot of game with 150, 160, and 175 grain partitions in the 7 mag over the years, and my conclusions are based on that experience, all with the same build. Up to you to decide about comparative bullet construction when comparing the two.

In my 7 mag it is always 160 accubond. Excellent controlled expansion, highly accurate and carries a long ways!! Best of luck. J.

Another consideration is the 150gr E-Tip will have more retained weight than the Accubond and should drive deeper. It's construction isn't 100% copper so less fouling than Barnes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhunter View Post
    I will be hunting caribou, sheep, Goat, and things of similar size. Of course always in bear country. Both bullets shoot well out of my gun; I am just wondering what the performance advantages would be for the extra dollars for the E-Tip? They are longer so less powder and they don't make anything bigger than a 150 grain in the e-tip. I like to shoot heavier 160-175 but but i keep hearing people rave about the E-Tip. Any feed back from those that have used these bullets would be appreciated.

Rich
    I've been loading for a 7mm STW for years. I've not shot sheep or goats, but deer and 'bou are toast with a 150 ballistic tip (mv 3400+ fps) with nary a problem. If I were obsessed with "bear worry" you could load a few 175 NPs to carry with you, but I would have plenty of confidence in the 160 ABs.

Oldrgr, what is your load recipie for the 160 accubond?