Thread: Best bang for the buck

Default Best bang for the buck

I have been looking into getting an atv and have been researching the various makers of utility atv's and it sure is a pretty widespread variety of them.

I figured that this would be the place to ask folks which brand of utility atv that you think you get the best for the money you pay; as everyone here has pretty similar uses for theirs. This is in terms of reliability and parts.

I am relying on your experience with various brands.
    “You touch my junk, I'm going to have you arrested.” - Groping objector

Default atv loyalty opinions are like ********s. everyone has one

You need to shop around and look for what you feel comfortable riding and then go from there. YOu will have someone say Polaris (i own one) others will cry yamaha, honda etc etc. All machines have good and bad points. It depends and in my opinion not one is better than the other. All machines will last you if you do the proper maintenance and take care of them irregardless of brand name.

I feel the dealer is the deciding factor. Find a wheeler that will do what you need and see if there is a good dealer to work with. If not, move on. If so then go for it. And good luck.

Default very good post elan. you cannot put a price on your dealership

i recommend the guys at eagle river polaris. I am totally impressed with them. And yes you cannot put a price on that.

Recent experience. I live in wasilla. I have a 1995 250 Polaris Trail Boss. I recently broke the pull string and had the pull assemble unravel in the machine. I took this to the local honda dealer here in which he told me $200 for a brand new spring and labor to put it back on. I than took it to the guys in eagle river. a little farther drive so i checked them last. When i took it into them they grabbed it from me and took it to the back mechanic, he took a whole 15 minutes to respool the spring and put on a new rope. When they walked it out to me i asked how much.....
    i was told dont worry about it......
    i left the mechanic $10 to have a few beers on me that night. That and that alone is why i would by a machine from those guys. have many stories with these guys from in the past but this is the most recent

While everyone has a favorite (mine is Yamaha) all the major manufacturers turn out a pretty good machine. You probably will be happy with a Polaris, Yamaha, Honda or Arctic Cat if you find it comfortable in the showroom and on the test drive. I agree that a good dealer is important- one that will back up their product. What I liked about Anchorage Yamaha is the salesman that sold me my 700 Grizz was extremely knowledgeable (he used to be a Yamaha mechanic) and he also talked me out of buying a spare belt because he said I'd never need it. He was right, and it saved me some bucks.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    I feel the dealer is the deciding factor. Find a wheeler that will do what you need and see if there is a good dealer to work with. If not, move on. If so then go for it. And good luck.
    Amen! Also, it seems that the relationship between the customer and the service/parts department has a foundation built on where you purchased your wheeler. In my case, I have a single point of contact for parts, service, and general advice pertaining to my Grizz....my salesman.

Ernie

Hondas have the best resale value (if you are only going to use it a few years).
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Depends on a lot of things honestly. I have a big cat, my wife has a smaller yammi, my uncle has a 2-up polaris, couple of my buddies have 6x6's.

Since you said best bang for your buck, the first machine that comes to mind is the Yammi Big Bear. They are simple and bullet proof, you will get MANY years out of one if you maintain it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by wtrdog1 View Post
    I have been looking into getting an atv and have been researching the various makers of utility atv's and it sure is a pretty widespread variety of them.

I figured that this would be the place to ask folks which brand of utility atv that you think you get the best for the money you pay; as everyone here has pretty similar uses for theirs. This is in terms of reliability and parts.

I am relying on your experience with various brands.

big bear 400 or a rancher 350......take ur pic. they are bullet proof and very affordable.

The new Ranchers are 420s , I don't think they sell a 350 anymore, at least they did'nt have one where I got mine.

The 350 was what I was looking for, but not to be had.

Thanks for all the info folks.
    “You touch my junk, I'm going to have you arrested.” - Groping objector

I am in the same boat. I decided on a used Can-Am Outlander 800Xt.