Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woverine Creek/Bartko Homestead Trail ???

Default Woverine Creek/Bartko Homestead Trail ???

I am wondering a couple of things on these trails.

Has anyone rode these trails?

Can ATVS go on them?

Trailhead?

Any other info you think is important of these trails

I am wonderng about these simply because they are close to palmer and look like fun rides. The only problem is you dont hear much about them. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by huskerhav View Post
    I am wondering a couple of things on these trails.

Has anyone rode these trails?

Can ATVS go on them?

Trailhead?

Any other info you think is important of these trails

I am wonderng about these simply because they are close to palmer and look like fun rides. The only problem is you dont hear much about them. thanks
    Oh yeah you can go a long ways on wolverine creek trail... I rode a raptor 350 on that trail would I do it again on a raptor 350 heck NO... But a good 4x4 wheeler yes. As a matter of fact going to ride it soon enough when the snow melts off. Again in 08 it was a good trail highly recommend a winch thier were a couple of bogs.

please recognize these are multi use trails. there is general agreement among most to try and stay off of them during breakup so that they will be good during the summer for biking, horses, walking, atving, etc.

do your part and please don't trash the trails in the spring.

thanks.

a few years back, my buddy and ran our stock toyota tacomas 10 miles in to the lake/ cabins.....was pretty tough, but we never needed a winch....that first big bog is a bad one..... i like to ride back there once in awhile, i have property near there.

Release Lake Trout

Default so atvs are fine to go into here summer time?

i just wanted to make sure. also any issues with private property at trail head etc.

no we never had any trouble, just park your rig in the circle, and dont block anything.....no one ever messed with our vehicles when we rode our 4 wheelers in......and theres alot of private property and cabins back in there, so theres quite a bit of activity goin on every weekend. watch that first bog, especially after or during a rainstorm. stay to the left otherwise, you better have a come-along

Release Lake Trout

Default hunt fish, do you know how far back that trail

goes. is it worth coming up there for a half days ride or can you spend more time back there. Do you know anything about bartko homestead trail....????

never heard of it....but im referring to the wolverine creek trail near lazy mountain, off clark wolverine road....ive rode back in there maybe 17 miles, and once you get up to where it opens up, there are all kinds of different trails back in there.....definately worth hangin out and exploring....beautiful country too.....there are several creeks that you cross, once you cross the creek past the cabins about oh i say maybe 13-14 miles in, it gets kinda hairy. ive heard that trail goes all the way to king mountain

Release Lake Trout

Default Yes that is the one i am talking about also. I

appreciate the info as i will be checking this out this summer. The bartko homestead trail is essantially on the north side of this same mountain range where the wolverine trail is the south. the homestead trail goes further back and ends up on top of pinnacle mountain. virtually in the same mountain just the other side.

That trail is on the DNR list of historical trails. Most of that land is on Chickaloon native corp property so stay on the trail. I haven't looked into it for years but as I recall once you get above timberline you are on state property and can go were you please.

Default jim are you talking about

wolverine or the homestead trail. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by huskerhav View Post
    wolverine or the homestead trail. thanks
    The one that is on the end of Clark- Wolverine road. It's pretty obvious, starts where the car road ends. The one I am thinking of go's in a short distance and there will will be a large open land homestead on your right[South] full of junk car's. That is the historical trail. Again it's been year's so have DNR in Fairbanks sent you a map. You can get GPS coordinates off their website. As I recall it went due East for a good distance, then South[uphill].

Also at the 1st big nasty bog thier is a house/cabinand that guy gets real grumpy if you try to cross his land to avoid the bog. We didn't do it but as we were digging a 4 wheeler out of that bog we had to listen to him. Any keep going on the trail you will pass a real nice cabin and a landing strip. Keep going u will come out in a big meadow with a cabin that is about to fall down. Thier u will either go straight orcturn and go right go right it will takexup around and to creek u will see where wheelers have crossed the trail picks up on the other side I highly suggest one wheeler with a good winch. Go straight and you will hit the creek u will see where people gave crossed to pick the trail up on the otherside this is the way I've been and it goes a good ways and eventually hit this big muddy bog that goes nowhere oh take a chainsaw as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Also at the 1st big nasty bog thier is a house/cabinand that guy gets real grumpy if you try to cross his land to avoid the bog. We didn't do it but as we were digging a 4 wheeler out of that bog we had to listen to him. Any keep going on the trail you will pass a real nice cabin and a landing strip. Keep going u will come out in a big meadow with a cabin that is about to fall down. Thier u will either go straight orcturn and go right go right it will takexup around and to creek u will see where wheelers have crossed the trail picks up on the other side I highly suggest one wheeler with a good winch. Go straight and you will hit the creek u will see where people gave crossed to pick the trail up on the otherside this is the way I've been and it goes a good ways and eventually hit this big muddy bog that goes nowhere oh take a chainsaw as well.

yep been thru all that stuff never saw the guy though. the cabin that is about to fall down is actually kinda nice, or was 2 years ago, a guy i know has been campin in that thing during moose season for 20 years or so, and thats his wood stove in there, its definately nice to stop in there and warm up if its cold or theres an emergency. i always cut up some firewood when i go thru there. If you try to sleep in it on a rainy nite, there is only one little strip of complete roof where it doesnt leak next to the stove. enjoy it out there

Release Lake Trout

I wanted to bring this TTT. Any trail reports? Can you really get in 17 miles? Can you get above treeline?

The trail did not originally go through that bog. A few years ago it was re-routed from it's original route by the property owner. They moved the trail, the markers, everything. We used to take the stock Jeeps, trucks etc all the way to the homestead during the Meet and Greet. It was a great newbie run because it was a very easy trail. We ran it one spring to make sure it was good to go and it was still crossing the stream in a nice gradual non eroding manner as it had been forever, came back later in the summer and it was blocked off with saw horses and re-routed through swamp. The re-route is very eroded, the creek crossings are steep banks and it is non sustainable. It is a historical trail, it has a 50 ft easement and it was illegal according to everyone I've talked to in moving it. But yet it remains that way. Very sad.

Default Woverine Creek/Bartko Homestead Trail ???

How far is the "homestead" and lake from the parking area?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    never heard of it....but im referring to the wolverine creek trail near lazy mountain, off clark wolverine road....ive rode back in there maybe 17 miles, and once you get up to where it opens up, there are all kinds of different trails back in there.....definately worth hangin out and exploring....beautiful country too.....there are several creeks that you cross, once you cross the creek past the cabins about oh i say maybe 13-14 miles in, it gets kinda hairy. ive heard that trail goes all the way to king mountain
    i am pretty familiar with king mtn and in fact that whole drainage,..i believe that trail does not surpass pinnacle,.. im pretty big on pinnacle and king mountain,... ive hiked them many times plus been stranded up there in some cold weather nights but it is all fun

I am looking for a trail that follows wolverine creek thats accessible by a 4wheeler. I don't exactly know where to go out there. I went last weekend to the little round spot right before the end of clark-wolverine rd. do i need to go past that to the very end? Does the trail cut back south past wolverine lake and into the creek? this info is critical to a sheep hunt i have lined up this year and am looking to get into the drainage of wolverine creek! Any info is appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by acelia8912 View Post
    I am looking for a trail that follows wolverine creek thats accessible by a 4wheeler. I don't exactly know where to go out there. I went last weekend to the little round spot right before the end of clark-wolverine rd. do i need to go past that to the very end? Does the trail cut back south past wolverine lake and into the creek? this info is critical to a sheep hunt i have lined up this year and am looking to get into the drainage of wolverine creek! Any info is appreciated!
    I know and have hunted the area - the wheeler is simply not one of your options.
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast