Thread: New 458 winny

Default New 458 winny

I just received my new Remington 798 in 458 Win mag.

I also have a new Ruger 77 Hawkeye in 35 Whelen.

When compared side by side this how I score them.

Price- Remington $499 Ruger $525

Finish -Remington; It has a nice high polished finish with a very deep bluing. One would have to go back several years to find a Remington made on this side of the pond with this quality of buing! It also comes equipped with a 26 inch barrel sporting a fold down rear sight and a hooded ramp front sight. Ruger; Plain old matte finish 22 inch stainless steel with no sights. Advantage Remington.

Stock-Remington; It has a nicely fit laminate stock with a bit of glass bedding at the lug area. The Remington also has two steel recoil lugs incorporated into the stock.(I believe CZ has only one). Ruger; Has a 50 dollar plastic stock. Advantage Remington

Bolt- Both rifles present a little resistance when lifting and lowering the bolt handle but nothing that I have any problem with. They are also about equal in regards to how smooth the bolt slides fully to the rear and then back home again. Since I've yet to load any ammo for either they weren't cycled with ammo. Advantage even.

Trigger- Remington; To much creep but breaks very crisp after taking up the slack(this can be fixed in short order) Ruger; Perfect from the factory. Advantage Ruger.

Safety- Remington; Same two position slide safety thats been offered on these Zustava mausers forever. Ruger; Three position swing safety located on the bolt shroud(vintage model 70). This in my opinion is the best safety offered. Advantage Ruger

Of course Ruger gets the advantage when it comes to mounting optics. I will take their integral base and ring set up over any other. The Remington comes drilled and tapped for screw on bases just like all other Remingtons.

I've always been a big Ruger fan but this is one Remington that I plan to keep!

Congratulations on the new gun.

I have been intrigued by the 798 and specifically one in .458 but my new rifle procurement fund is running a deficit since buying my Marlin 1895GBL...

Let us know how she shoots when you get a chance to.

Default whelen

Wow, you got a deal! Same gun here would run you 1100 buck at least. I didnt know Ruger made the Hawkeye in 35 whelen? Im a lefty and sent an older ruger 77 left hand to the smith to get a whelen barrel put on, new stock etc. should be getting it soon. My son has the 375 ruger, and I must agree the new triggers Ruger is now using is a huge improvement!
    Does the Remington have a claw extractor?

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    Wow, you got a deal! Same gun here would run you 1100 buck at least. I didnt know Ruger made the Hawkeye in 35 whelen? Im a lefty and sent an older ruger 77 left hand to the smith to get a whelen barrel put on, new stock etc. should be getting it soon. My son has the 375 ruger, and I must agree the new triggers Ruger is now using is a huge improvement!
    Does the Remington have a claw extractor?
    Yes the Remington has the same massive claw extractor found on military 98s. My gun was ordered from a CDNN add that I found in Shotgun news. They also had the same gun in 375HH for $499. I know the price of shipping to Alaska from Texas where CDNN is located wouldn't be cheap but for $499 + shipping it would still be a good deal(compared to $1100).

Ruger does in fact make the Hawkeye in 35 Whelen. Mine is getting restocked in a grade A select walnut stock. I got the inletting done last night. I just have to glass it then make it look pretty.

So, Elmer, which one do you prefer overall? Or are they pretty even?

Which factors do you weigh more heavily? And which are most easily remdied? I assume you can smooth out the Remington's trigger?

I would be more excited for you, except I just learned from two recent threads that the slower 45-70 out-performs and out-penetrates the .458 Win Mag, even with the same monolithic solid bullets.

Oh wait, that's absurd. Congrats!

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post

Which factors do you weigh more heavily? And which are most easily remdied? I assume you can smooth out the Remington's trigger?

I would be more excited for you, except I just learned from two recent threads that the slower 45-70 out-performs and out-penetrates the .458 Win Mag, even with the same monolithic solid bullets.

I will find out here shortly as I just purchased 2 Interarms Whitworths. One in 375 H&H and the other in 458 Win. I already have a 45-70 in the Trapdoor configuration and a barrell for my Encore so I will be able to shoot all levels of the 45-70 as a test.

Quote Originally Posted by AlleninAlaska View Post
    I will find out here shortly as I just purchased 2 Interarms Whitworths. One in 375 H&H and the other in 458 Win. I already have a 45-70 in the Trapdoor configuration and a barrell for my Encore so I will be able to shoot all levels of the 45-70 as a test.

The Witworth has been around for a lot of years and I still think they are one of the best buys you can get, especialy in the long action .375 H&H. You sure won't regret your choises.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Like I said, I'm a big Ruger fan. If I were to go on big furry hunt in the near future I'd most likely take the Whelen. I have yet to shoot the 798 so the jury is still out on it. However I like the way it feels, points and the ergonomics. I might shoot it and end up hating it......I sure hope not. Right now it's kind of a novelty thing that will get an opportunity to grow on me. Everybody needs a safari gun, right?

As far as the penetration test...well...I guess I'll just have to shoot reduced loads and everybody that has a Lott might as well just throw em away. There has been a whole lot of dead bears and Africa critters that might not have died at the hands of the 458 winny had they known about that penetration test!

What do you guys think about me getting the barrel on this thing shortened to say 22"? Does it take 26" of barrel to burn up the faster powders shot out of the big ole straight wall case? I mess with guns in the living room all the time and this is the first time I ever stuck one into the ceiling fan(tiny scuff mark...rubbed right out....fan wobbles like heck though)! Mom's mad!
    Last edited by elmerkeithclone; 04-21-2010 at 20:07. Reason: brain dead

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Like I said, I'm a big Ruger fan. If I were to go on big furry hunt in the near future I'd most likely take the Whelen. I have yet to shoot the 798 so the jury is still out on it. However I like the way it feels, points and the ergonomics. I might shoot it and end up hating it......I sure hope not. Right now it's kind of a novelty thing that will get an opportunity to grow on me. Everybody needs a safari gun, right?

As far as the penetration test...well...I guess I'll just have to shoot reduced loads and everybody that has a Lott might as well just throw em away. There has been a whole lot of dead bears and Africa critters that might not have died at the hands of the 458 winny had they known about that penetration test!

What do you guys think about me getting the barrel on this thing shortened to say 22"? Does it take 26" of barrel to burn up the faster powders shot out of the big ole straight wall case? I mess with guns in the living room all the time and this is the first one I ever stuck into the ceiling fan(tiny scuff mark...rubbed right out....fan wobbles like heck though)!
    What will you hunt with it?

I personally wouldn't cut the barrel below 24", though I suspect many may disagree. And, I doubt I would cut anything a mere 2". If you cut it, you might gain a little recoil, especially relative to the output. You will have the same gas propellent exiting (causing appx. 50% of recoil). Your bullet velocity will decrease a little (decreasing bullet-momentum-inducing recoil), but you also will have a little less barrel weight to absorb it.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

What do you guys think about me getting the barrel on this thing shortened to say 22"?

The 375 and 458 I just bought both have 20" barrels.

What will you hunt with it?

I personally wouldn't cut the barrel below 24", though I suspect many may disagree. And, I doubt I would cut anything a mere 2". If you cut it, you might gain a little recoil, especially relative to the output. You will have the same gas propellent exiting (causing appx. 50% of recoil). Your bullet velocity will decrease a little (decreasing bullet-momentum-inducing recoil), but you also will have a little less barrel weight to absorb it.
    I'll probably shoot streaked gophers with it(a big one weighs about a pound). In reality a 458 in Iowa is as out of place as letting a big one rip in church. I had a 458 once in a Ruger with a Montana Rifle Co barrel and I let some dude in Alaska talk me out of it. I still have the dies brass and a couple hundred 350 grain Hot Cores. So I bought it! I get Hog Hunter magazine and would love to go shoot one of them big oinkers with it! I've been considering it!

I'll probably shoot streaked gophers with it(a big one weighs about a pound). In reality a 458 in Iowa is as out of place as letting a big one rip in church. I had a 458 once in a Ruger with a Montana Rifle Co barrel and I let some dude in Alaska talk me out of it. I still have the dies brass and a couple hundred 350 grain Hot Cores. So I bought it! I get Hog Hunter magazine and would love to go shoot one of them big oinkers with it! I've been considering it!
    If you're not lugging it through the Forest of Fangorn, you might as well keep the nice, long barell.

elmerkeithclone

I have one of the Charles Daly Mausers that is the same as your 798. I re-barreled it to .358 Norma and put on a new Boyds Laminate stock (mine came with the plastic) that I thoroughly reworked because they have way too much wood on them for my taste.

Regarding the trigger, if the Remingtons are using the same triggers that the CD's did, you may have trouble getting it to where you like it. Mine like yours broke clean but had a lot of creep or take-up (I've never quite understood the difference in those two) and was a little heavy at 4.5 lbs. from the factory. We adjusted it down to a perfect creep free 2.5 lb. pull and I was very happy with it until we realized it would not stay safe at this setting. So we adjusted it some more and bottom line it was impossible to get it to stay safe without leaving some of the creep in it. I plan on replacing it with a Timney or a Bold but have not gotten around to it yet.

I love the rifle but hate that factory trigger.

Angry none for lefties

In all honesty, I cannot find a factory produced left-hand bolt action rifle in 35 Whelen made by anyone other that a semi-custom job like Montana Rifle Co. The best I can find is 30-06, which will require a rebarrel. This is not too big of a deal as even if a factory rifle was found, it probably would not have iron sights and to me a rifle without sights on it is not complete. I really get frosted by all of the firearms companies making all kinds of calibers for right-handed folks (good for them), but only a few offerings for us southpaws. TD

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerDave View Post
    In all honesty, I cannot find a factory produced left-hand bolt action rifle in 35 Whelen made by anyone other that a semi-custom job like Montana Rifle Co. The best I can find is 30-06, which will require a rebarrel. This is not too big of a deal as even if a factory rifle was found, it probably would not have iron sights and to me a rifle without sights on it is not complete. I really get frosted by all of the firearms companies making all kinds of calibers for right-handed folks (good for them), but only a few offerings for us southpaws. TD
    Dang Tinker, I looked, and there is not one single lefty 35 Whelen of any kind on Gunbroker. I'm a lefty too, but I'm kind of glad I learned to shoot right-handed (partly becuase my right eye is dominant).

Heck fellows if I wanted a .35 Whelen I would just do a web search and get a re bore and chamber job done and with all these .30-06 I've got around here I'm sure I could find a donor rifle. It is a lot cheaper than a re barrel and chamber job.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I just received my new Remington 798 in 458 Win mag.

I also have a new Ruger 77 Hawkeye in 35 Whelen.

When compared side by side this how I score them.

Price- Remington $499 Ruger $525

Finish -Remington; It has a nice high polished finish with a very deep bluing. One would have to go back several years to find a Remington made on this side of the pond with this quality of buing! It also comes equipped with a 26 inch barrel sporting a fold down rear sight and a hooded ramp front sight. Ruger; Plain old matte finish 22 inch stainless steel with no sights. Advantage Remington.

Stock-Remington; It has a nicely fit laminate stock with a bit of glass bedding at the lug area. The Remington also has two steel recoil lugs incorporated into the stock.(I believe CZ has only one). Ruger; Has a 50 dollar plastic stock. Advantage Remington

Bolt- Both rifles present a little resistance when lifting and lowering the bolt handle but nothing that I have any problem with. They are also about equal in regards to how smooth the bolt slides fully to the rear and then back home again. Since I've yet to load any ammo for either they weren't cycled with ammo. Advantage even.

Trigger- Remington; To much creep but breaks very crisp after taking up the slack(this can be fixed in short order) Ruger; Perfect from the factory. Advantage Ruger.

Safety- Remington; Same two position slide safety thats been offered on these Zustava mausers forever. Ruger; Three position swing safety located on the bolt shroud(vintage model 70). This in my opinion is the best safety offered. Advantage Ruger

Of course Ruger gets the advantage when it comes to mounting optics. I will take their integral base and ring set up over any other. The Remington comes drilled and tapped for screw on bases just like all other Remingtons.

I've always been a big Ruger fan but this is one Remington that I plan to keep!
    To smooth the bolt just open and close a thousand times without any oil on it. It'll take an hour or so, but it will be worth it.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    To smooth the bolt just open and close a thousand times without any oil on it. It'll take an hour or so, but it will be worth it.
    I like using Crest tooth paste.