Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Kicker Mount

  1. #1
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default Kicker Mount

    I've got a Hewescraft Alaskan 240. I just got a kicker (2HP Honda Longshaft) for my dingy. Other than putting it on my Transom, does anyone have any special way they secure their kicker on board? If you got a bracket to keep it out of the water other than a Jacklift, I'd love to see it in a picture? Any suggestions, I'm all ears. My boat is currently at Greatland welding and now is the time to make a change order.

  2. #2
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    I've got a Hewescraft Alaskan 240. I just got a kicker (2HP Honda Longshaft) for my dingy. Other than putting it on my Transom, does anyone have any special way they secure their kicker on board? If you got a bracket to keep it out of the water other than a Jacklift, I'd love to see it in a picture? Any suggestions, I'm all ears. My boat is currently at Greatland welding and now is the time to make a change order.
    When I had my hewes, I had a bracket built and bolted it to the cabin bulkhead next to the door. It worked well for my F4. I think I have a picture some where. I will try and dig it up.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  3. #3
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,594

    Default

    I'd recomend a means of locking the kicker up when not on board, or store it in the cuddy cabin.

    Unfortunately there are some cretins in this state, and it would be a pity to come to your boat and find the kicker missing.

  4. #4
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Here is the picture I was referring to. It doesn't show the bracket, just it in use.

    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  5. #5
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Here is the picture I was referring to. It doesn't show the bracket, just it in use.

    Spoiled One

    That looks like a good idea, I'd have to do the other side or momma couldn't use the head. Trying to imagine how that looks without the motor mounted. Also, did the motor get in the way of the door latching? BTW +1

    Paul H

    I was planning on locking it down for sure. It only weighs 26 pounds I think.

  6. #6
    Member steelguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wrangell/NJ
    Posts
    216

    Default similar idea

    here our setup, out of the weather and protected mounted on a bracket of the davit helm
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Spoiled One

    That looks like a good idea, I'd have to do the other side or momma couldn't use the head. Trying to imagine how that looks without the motor mounted. Also, did the motor get in the way of the door latching? BTW +1

    Paul H

    I was planning on locking it down for sure. It only weighs 26 pounds I think.
    Chico,

    I am not sure how to describe it without saying that it looked like half a swastika. Each 90* was reinforced. My door did not latch. I just used a bungie.

    Pete
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  8. #8
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Chico,

    I am not sure how to describe it without saying that it looked like half a swastika. Each 90* was reinforced. My door did not latch. I just used a bungie.

    Pete
    Now I can picture it. I wish I was home right now and take my kicker over there and get that done. Gonna have to wait till I get home, but that should be a pretty easy thing to fabricate. Thanks Pete!!!

    Steel Guy, that pic looks sweet. Nice, clean and tidy!!! I really like that set up.

    Thanks Guys

    Mark

  9. #9

    Default

    I have a "stationary motor mount bracket" made by a company called Garelick. It is bolted on the starboard rear. It holds a 5hp Honda for my dinghy. I'd post a link if I knew how. Look it up on their website. It's a pretty nice product.

  10. #10
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    I have a "stationary motor mount bracket" made by a company called Garelick. It is bolted on the starboard rear. It holds a 5hp Honda for my dinghy. I'd post a link if I knew how. Look it up on their website. It's a pretty nice product.
    Homertime

    Is this what your talking about? If so, where do you mount yours and do you have an extended transom?

    http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Garel...r+Bracket.html

    Mark

  11. #11

    Default

    That isn't the exact one, but it's similar. Mine is not adjustable. I do have an extended transom (Kingfisher 2825). I have this bracket mounted on the rear transom wall (not the extended transom) starboard side. Kingfishers have a transom door on the port side. It sits nicely out of the way, and I've only had it off the bracket a couple times. I use one of those transom screw locks and a cable lock to keep the honest people from getting it. It sits in the harbor generally from March through October or so, and I haven't had any problems.

  12. #12
    Member Cap'n Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Idaho/Valdez
    Posts
    980

    Default If you have stern rails....

    On your Hewes 24' (I have them on my 26') then you can put the Honda 2hp inside the stern mounted on the stern rails with the motor inside the boat. If you are going to be gone, put a gaff or other "rod" across the dash between the helm and the passenger side, and mount the motor on the gaff/rod, to keep it secure inside the locked cabin when you are away.

    This motor is so small and light, easy to more it around this way. Another place outside the cabin is to mount in on the cab roof railing, but this can be in the way of the head door if you have one...re that if you lay it down, it has to be on the correct side to keep the oil from leaking out.

  13. #13
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    On your Hewes 24' (I have them on my 26') then you can put the Honda 2hp inside the stern mounted on the stern rails with the motor inside the boat. If you are going to be gone, put a gaff or other "rod" across the dash between the helm and the passenger side, and mount the motor on the gaff/rod, to keep it secure inside the locked cabin when you are away.

    This motor is so small and light, easy to more it around this way. Another place outside the cabin is to mount in on the cab roof railing, but this can be in the way of the head door if you have one...re that if you lay it down, it has to be on the correct side to keep the oil from leaking out.

    I will have to look at that closely when I get home. I would prefer it outside of the fish deck so we are bumping into it. Makes sense though.


    Homertime,

    I will have to see also how much room I have from my stearn to the extended transom and water line on the side of the line. If there is enough room without the skeg/prop hitting, that would be my best bet I think so far.

    Thanks to all of you for your input!

    Mark

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    I will have to see also how much room I have from my stearn to the extended transom and water line on the side of the line. If there is enough room without the skeg/prop hitting, that would be my best bet I think so far.Mark
    "chico", I think you'll have room height-wise to your extended transom and/or the waterline, but make sure it doesn't interfere with your engine's turning radius (if you have twins). I have plenty of room on mine, but it's worth a check.

  15. #15
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    "chico", I think you'll have room height-wise to your extended transom and/or the waterline, but make sure it doesn't interfere with your engine's turning radius (if you have twins). I have plenty of room on mine, but it's worth a check.

    I will definately check that out. I got a design in mind for a fabricated mount. Basically 8" wide base 6" tall sloping up 5" but comming out 6 inches with a face the same size of the base. From a side view it would almost be a diamond shape. Make it out of 1/4 aluminum and bolt a 3/4 plastic or wood face to the aluminum face. That will give me an 8" base to mount on that sticks out 7" from the transome and elevate 5 inches above where I mount/Bolt it on the rear starboard outside stern about my extended transome. I'm gonna have my son measure for me tonight to make sure it all clears. It should.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •