Thread: Black bears and predator calls

Default Black bears and predator calls

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to trying a predator call over a bear bait station?

If no bait is present and a grizzly shows up instead of a black bear, you can bust him.

I was kind of thinking more on the line of, would a black bear be enticed to come in if from time to time using the old Foxpro FX3 with some sort of call, while in my tree stand near my bait barrel with bait in it.

Default nope

Electronic callers/ calls are legal for all game animals except moose

Id try it rivet. look at wayne carltons black bear calling videos....sounds like it mite work.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Electronic callers/ calls are legal for all game animals except moose

Id try it rivet. look at wayne carltons black bear calling videos....sounds like it mite work.

Ha!!! Gee thanks, After I posted it, I second guessed myself and looked it up and deleted my post, but appearently one minute too late.

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_By_Choice View Post
    Ha!!! Gee thanks, After I posted it, I second guessed myself and looked it up and deleted my post, but appearently one minute too late.

Ryan
    dude, i was gonna quote you, but then i realized you had taken it out, so i didnt, so you just busted yourself buddy

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    dude, i was gonna quote you, but then i realized you had taken it out, so you just busted yourself buddy

dohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

relax Lost, no big deal right?

Release Lake Trout

lol no, if it was I would of deleted the rest and then posted "why is this guy talking to himself?"

Ryan

HA! that was slick

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_By_Choice View Post
    lol no, if it was I would of deleted the rest and then posted "why is this guy talking to himself?"

Ryan
    Ah, but the mods always know....

Quote Originally Posted by rivetgun55 View Post
    I was kind of thinking more on the line of, would a black bear be enticed to come in if from time to time using the old Foxpro FX3 with some sort of call, while in my tree stand near my bait barrel with bait in it.
    I'm not sure it would help any. Bears primarily follow their nose, not their ears. The advantage that I would see using a call instead of bait is the legal ability to take brown bear with such a method. It sure seems like lots of brown bears are active at black bear bait stations, especially on the Kenai Peninsula.

it's almost like they're (browns) being baited in...

i see no advantage to the caller in addition to bait, and several disadvantages. makes more work for you. attracts other critters to the site. not sure why you would bother. as was said, in lieu of bait it makes sense but I don' think success will be high.

I think calling can be very effective, if an animal is up wind it can not smell your bait and there for, not find your bait site. If you know what youíre doing you can tell the animal it safe to come in by using the proper call; and let not forget we all like fresh meat. The down side is you really need to know what youíre doing when you are calling to not drive the animals away. From what Iíve read some bears wait into a person has left before coming in so you need to figure out how to out smart the bear.

Default Tried

Quote Originally Posted by rivetgun55 View Post
    Is there any advantage or disadvantage to trying a predator call over a bear bait station?
    I tried to call a little last year with no luck. I even had a grizz coming in that I could see through the alders, I started squealing on the call and the bear turned and was gone. I would save calling for a place away from your bait site.
    -Caleb-

IMO if a bear has found a bait site, it already knows it has an easy food supply and probably won't respond to a call - why fight over a meal when there is a free meal that isn't notifying everyone in the woods? The last thing you want to do on a bait site is make undue noise and draw additional attention to yourself. In my experience, bears are more timid on bait than not and generally approach with caution on the lookout for danger. I think a call would announce an alien presence and increase the chance a bear will go the other direction or hit the bait later, in the cover of the night.

I sat in a stand in Maine for two seasons passing up good size bears time and time again because I was after a huge cinnamon brown phase black. The bear was always coming in at the end of shooting light and was huge. I probably saw 25 bears over two seasons and each one had the jitters to one degree or another.

I think a call would have screwed up the area.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Not Sure how it would work over bait. But calling Blackies works, we did it in Washington. Basically there we talked to the Deer guys and when Fawns started dropping we used fawn in distress. Sometimes they don't come sometimes they Hauled ***** in there.

Brad

The last few years I have been interested in listening to sounds animals makes. I was surprise to learn that birds would ďNOTĒ make sounds if they felt threaten. If birds stop talking this tells other animal there is danger. You could also play recorded sounds when birds are feeding telling the bear there is food.

If you canít do it right I would not try calling a bear, it not like your calling a bull moose for sex.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i have called them in the spring when i know they are in the area... but it has always been later in may/early June after green up...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here