Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand new machine, 1st ride, engine screwed

Default Brand new machine, 1st ride, engine screwed

A buddy of mine just bought a brand new Yamaha Grizzly 450. We rode our machines a few miles the day he picked it up and his engine overheating light kept coming on. The radiator wasn't muddy, the fan only came on once, and we were riding very easy terrain. To be safe, we immediately cut our ride short, stopped every time it came on to let it cool, and retruned the ATV to the dealer ASAP.

According to the dealer, the engine is screwed.

If this happened to you, how would you go about getting the dealer to give you a different brand new machine?

I honestly don't think just "fixing" the lemon engine, or replacing the engine is fair. A man spends $6K on a new machine, he doesn't want to feel cheated, or worry about future problems...

Thanks,
    Zeb

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Zeb,

Every manufacturer has a percentage of bad products. Out of every XXX number of items made some will be bad for what ever reason. That will happen.

That said, Yamaha makes an outstanding product. The engine should be under warranty and the dealer should be willing to replace the engine and make it right at no cost to the owner. With Yamaha's reputation, I would allow them the opportunity to do so before insisting on a different brand.

I echo Ralph's advice. Yamaha builds a very good machine, and they will make it right if given the chance. It should be under warranty. If they replace the engine, your friend should have no more worries. My Yamaha has 2600 hard miles and it's still going strong.

hey Ralph - isn't it about time you change your location? ;-)

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Oh, I didn't mean a different brand (as in manufacturer), I meant a different brand-new Yamaha 450.

Unfortunately stuff happens. They will put a new motor in it for no charge and even if it runs the next ten thousand miles without a hitch you will always be wondering. That's just the way it is. The only way to get a lemon replaced is after a bunch of problems one after the other. Not going to happen after only one episode.

Post i'm with u ..

Quote Originally Posted by zeb View Post
    Oh, I didn't mean a different brand (as in manufacturer), I meant a different brand-new Yamaha 450.
    if u just picked it up like u said ,drove to the riding area and it broke the 1st trip out...i'd be back at the dealer and i'd have a loan'er an be back out riding ...if like u said "they said it's screwed"... i'd be asking....well which other 450 do i get. They can have/ play with the broke one and sell it off down the road......while i'm out riding remember your paying for it if its under your butt, in your truck , OR at there shop waiting on parts.......ps now u have a trust issue.../ should have got a ...Kq
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

What kinda riding were you doing?

There is a break in period that the machine has to go through before you take it to the max.

Just wondering if he got on it right off the get-go.

Default New Machine

I wouldn't settle for a new engine. I'd push for either a whole new machine or a full refund. No telling what else will go wrong with this specific machine, as it is obviously a lemon. If the dealer gives you a hard time, contact Yamaha directly and possibly the State Attorney General as in 2009 the State passed a new Lemon Law to cover new Atv's and boats.

Default aksoldier

thats pretty good with your yamaha, i got close to 5000 miles on my 1993 Polaris 250 and it still runs like the day i picked it up except for paint scratches and a rusted muffler.

Default very easy riding

We were doing very easy riding, no where near pushing it. Not even 1/2 throttle, no hills, completely flat.

Does anyone know the exact legal code for the 2009 AK lemon law?

It takes more than one time to deem it a lemon. This is what I found on a quick google.

http://www.carlemon.com/lemon/AK_LemonGuide.html

Quote Originally Posted by zeb View Post
    We were doing very easy riding, no where near pushing it. Not even 1/2 throttle, no hills, completely flat.

Does anyone know the exact legal code for the 2009 AK lemon law?
    http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/folioproxy.asp?url=http://wwwjnu01.legis.state.ak.us/cgi-bin/folioisa.dll/stattx09/query=45!2E27!2E190/doc/{@1}?firsthit

Also remind the dealership that their business reputation as well as the manufacturer's relies on satisfied customers. A dissatisfied customer is the quickest way to lose business. Be forceful and calm, chances are they'll want to satisfy you the customer. I've unfortunately had to use this technique a few times over the years. Most recently at Best Buy when a manager didn't want to take back a defective camera, He changed his mind after I reminded him his store wasn't the only one in town selling cameras.

my sister and her husband got completely screwed by ANC arctic cat dealer on a new machine that was a complete lemon.

from what i recall the dealership said it was AC's responsibility, and AC said it was the dealerships, and no one would fess up for anything. I think they ultimately said it had been abused and was no longer under warranty. don't know the full details but it was not fun for them. hope your situation turns out better.

Give them a chance to fix it. If they don't then ask for the owner. My next new machine will be from Anchorage Yamaha because of the way that they have taken care of friends.
    Mike

Default Yamaha

I have owned a Rhino 700 FI and a 700 FI Grizzly for a couple years now. Both machines are bomb proof and I ride them hard. I rode Polaris' for several years but was totally sold on the Yammies as my buddy had a Big Bear that he rode into the ground and could just not break it. I think most manufacturers are making pretty decent quads now but I agree with the others that you must have a lemon and it happens to the best of them. I would go to the dealer, sit down and talk to them and explain your feelings entirely. Either way, if the dealer wants your business for many years, he will take care of you. Just my 2 cents.
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Default Not a Lemon.

To be considered a Lemon they would fix it and the EXACT same thing has to happen again.

I had the same problem with a snow machine from martia . The motor kept over heating we stop tow it back to the truck. We did this four differant times each time It went back to the dealer. They said nothing wrong was it not over heating. The same line of bs they give to everyone. They the 5th time I was pissed and I ran it till the motor came apart. We'll when they took the motor apart they found that the coolant ports in the motor were never drill out correctly which caused it to over heat. I was pissed off This seld had mabye 20 miles on it and had logged over 60 hours of warranty work in the shop.

So I wanted a new sled and looked into the lemon law. We'll to make a long story short the lemon laws does not alpy to atv/snowmachines. etc. The only way you get a new fourwheeler is it they can't make the repairs. It says it nice CLEARLY in the law on lemans. Pretty much was pissed. But after all the fighting and everything that went on when I got the sled back with the new motor it ran like a camp never had one problem after that.

Give the guy at Yamaha a chance to fix it it will save your a headacke if you relax and give them time.

Default Update

So, I'm the buddy with the broken 450 Grizzly. Here is the latest:

The dealership says Yamaha won't let them install a new engine. Instead, they say they are going to have to "break it down and rebuild it piece by piece." They also tell me "the damage isn't really too bad." How disheartening.

I only bought a brand new machine for two reasons: 1) convenience (I wanted an early start on the season and didn't want to wait for the right deal to come along) and 2) peace of mind (didn't want to always wonder when the previous owner's hard riding would cause a problem forty miles down a trail). So now I am supposed to settle for a rebuilt machine when I just paid cash for a new one? Yamaha has not yet even offered to give me an extended warranty on the rebuilt machine.

It's a tough pill to swallow because I had hoped to sell this machine in a year or two and upgrade to something nicer - and more expensive. Who is going to give me a decent price for an almost new machine that already had a rebuild?

I remain hopeful that Yamaha and/or the dealer will make everything right by just swapping me for a machine that works and sending me on my way. If they do and if I have no future problems, they will have a loyal customer for life. If they just stiff me... Well, I guess all I can do then is make sure you folks know where I did my shopping and help you avoid the same treatment.

But this is Alaska, where we still do business with a handshake, right? At the end of the day, I'm sure I'll be treated fairly.

Unhappy thanks for the

update ...keep us posted .........
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast