Thread: Opinions on Clip In pedals

Default Opinions on Clip In pedals

I'm new to mountain biking. I've ridden bikes all my life, but have never done any serious offroading. I've recently purchased a full suspension Cannondale and I am looking to get out a bit this summer.

My question is: Who uses clip in pedals for offroading?

I've used them on road bikes for a while, but wasn't sur eif they were applicable to offroad. I'd assume they would be very useful when climbing.

Does anyone make clip in pedals that have a platform so you can do some casual riding?

Any input would be appreciated.

Wasilla, Alaska

Default I do

I use Shimano M424 SPD Pedals they have cages around them so you can ride while not clipped in. There is a time to be clipped in and a time you wish that you weren't. I like the option so if I want to goof off I'm not tied to my bike if I have to bail off, they are nice when climbing hills unless your 10 year old decides to stop suddenly right in front of you! Here is a picture of the pedal I use I bought them at REI.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Searching for more cowbell!

I used them exclusively in Colorado and Utah.
    I don't use them here as I use the bike for transportation to get to fishing or something similar.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Thanks for the input. keep it coming......

South Central

My very old bike has very old Frogs. They were never good for "casual" riding and I always wanted to switch to SPDs. A friend tried "egg beaters" for a while and then switched to SPDs and likes them a lot.

I found that clipping in made me think about what I was doing and improved my trail riding. However, it made slow speed stuff pretty deadly for me since I have a horrible sense of balance.

I found that when ever I ended up in the air I had better control of the bike while clipped in and could keep it under control easier than with the old toe clips.

I also looked at these: Shimano M324 SPD Pedals

they are metal and have clips on one side and cage on other.. Pretty cool.

on the Creek

I've use clipless pedals for the past 8 years, great use for them as you pull as well as push when pedaling which gives more power and less fatigue. Rode Red Rocks in Co and up here on some pretty technical stuff. Look at for starter equiptment (I still use the nashbar pedal and shoes I bought years ago) once you get used to cliping in and popping out there is NO concern for me about going down and not getting my foot out.
    Yesterday I ran into an Old Girlfriend and I thought I missed her...
    So I backed up and hit her again, ya know sometimes I really do miss her!!

Thanks for the input guys! I'm going for it. I hope the weather holds out this weekend.

Gave them up after falling. Broken wrist and shattered elbow = four and a half months in a cast from hand to arm pit with my arm bent at 90 degree. But to each his own

I won't go without them. However, with that said it takes a bit of practice to get used to them. Once you do, you'll never go back.

I use these:

You can deals on eBay and the like if you shop around.. I think I got mine at PricePoint... Not light, but not my worry when trail riding...

southern yukon

I've been in shimano spd for years, straight clips on the mtn bike, 520's (clip on one side, flat on the other) on my road and cyclocross bikes(nice on really long rides). Set on really light for super quick exit. Power on the down stroke, pulling up on the other foot, total control, tons of power and lots of security when booting along with speed on a rough trail. Learn to set the tension, go light and practice getting in and out. the new ones have lots of float so your foot isn't stuck in one postion, plus they pop out in three direcdtions for added safety. Just my two bits.