Thread: Prince william Sound Black Bear?

Default Prince william Sound Black Bear?

Going out in the sound this weekend, just wondering if I should bring my gun or not? Never been out there this early and want to know if anyone thinks there could be bears out?

thanks
    Boatless

yes there could be black bears out (and I'm sure there are some), but the majority won't be out and about for a few more weeks.

no reason not to bring a rifle, but I wouldn't count on seeing any. I believe May 3 is the earliest i have seen BB in the sound but I am not a regular.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    Going out in the sound this weekend, just wondering if I should bring my gun or not? Never been out there this early and want to know if anyone thinks there could be bears out?

thanks
    Unless your boat is so full you can't handle the space for a rifle and a bear hide and meat, why not?

Just don't shoot them all. I'm heading out first week in June so leave one for me to try to arrow.

Default I'll have mine.

I know that they're up but I don't see that many from the boat this early. The snow is deep in some areas and not bad at all in others. I've been out 3 times this year and haven't seen anything but deer tracks.

If you are heading where we talked about, you should see bears if the sun is out. We have shot them there in mid April. I look forward to hearing your report.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Pete shouldn't you be shaping the minds of the youth of America? I think my two brothers are going to bring their guns, so if we do see something they'll be prepared.
    Boatless

Default April 10

Is the earliest I've seen bears out in the Sound. Typically, they are the large boars that you want to shoot, and they aren't moving too fast. I say leave your gun at home, I'm going out next weekend and I don't want any competition.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    Pete shouldn't you be shaping the minds of the youth of America? I
    I have become quite the multitasker.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Knight Island

Has anyone ever hunted Knight Island for black bear? There's not much info about a lot of bears being on that island. With it's distance from the mainland my guess would be that it is just as populated with black bears as is the mainland coast.

Not looking for your favorite place to go for bears on this island. Just a simpley yes or no as to whether there is a substantial population of blackies on the island...

Thanks for the help!

Default Havent hunted them

there but have seen them from the boat!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Why would you want to go anywhere without your rifle? Throw it in, you never know but if you don't take it along, Murphy's Law will be your worst enemy.

Hope you have a great time!!!
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

We have seen black bear on knight before and from Whittier to upper passage of knight is about 53 miles one way