Thread: DG 340 Kings River Goats?

Default DG 340 Kings River Goats?

Anyone ever hunted this area? If so how did you do and what time of the season did you hunt?

The harvest reports are pretty dismal over the past 10 years or so but the majority of the goats harvested have been billies which is promising.

Yes I did research this hunt prior to putting in for the drawing and yes I have a boat and have a bit of experience with both Whittier and Valdez during August and Sept time frames just never went after goats.

Figured if I got a drawing permit that would force me to stop glassing them while bear hunting and thinking to myself one has to be nuts to go up after one of those things through all those alders and devils club and actually go up after one for a change.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry no info for ya but good luck on the hunt!!

If you don't have a goat down by the 20th of September and need a packer I'm free from Sept 20-30th potentially.

Default Kings River

Honestly? I'd take that permit and toss it and then book a trip over towards Cordova. There is nothing easy, cheap, or quick about hunting that draw.

Thanks for the replies. I realize there is nothing easy about this draw hunt except the fact it is close to home so a bit cheaper which keeps my wife happy considering some of the other hunts I have going on this year.

Thanks Steve and I will be sure to let you know how it turns out.

Luke I hope to be done with this hunt by that time but if not will be getting in touch as I know you are one heck of a packer and have some goat experience under you belt.

AK Steve have you hunted this area before?

Well I'm free on these dates 14 August thru 6 September and 29 September thru 10 October... Not much of help but I like to eat food and BS alot... But seriuosly if you need help and I'm not back east stuck in ANCOC I can help you out and I will even chip in for fuel for your boat...

Default Get yourself

some leather gloves and head up the mountain! Goat hunting is awesome. Not a hard creature to hunt, just hard to get to and then get it down!

Default beautiful and steep

I hunted this hunt with two friends the second week of September in 2008 (my buddy had the permit). It was an awesome hunt. We loved every minute of it. It rained and rained and rained. The clouds were so socked in that we could see less than 200' up the mountain from the bay. We tried to climb the mountain through the clouds and two days in a row we got turned around by overhanging cliffs. Then one morning (the wind changed direction overnight) we woke up to blue skies. We grabbed our bivy sacks and headed up the mountain. We had to rock climb in two spots but made it to the top since we could actually pick a route. Glassed for about an hour at the top and then put one down. The billy my buddy harvested was the only goat we saw the entire time. Saw several beautiful blackies and I bagged three grouse. We finished cleaning right at night fall. Slept the night in the saddle and woke up to the bay completely socked in again. We had one window and got lucky. It's absolutly gorgeous up there. The hike is very steep. If I ever get the chance to go again I'd choose a slightly different approach route and bring a bit of rope.

Wasp_Oyster thanks for the tip on rope I will be sure to bring some along and hope for good weather and take advantage of any windows that open up.

323 you are always welcome you know that. I think it will be entertaining to see you up on the mountain.

Northway you are as helpful as mod elan is. Are you two related by chance?

Bronco,

Yeah I hope you have a goat by then as well, but if not I'd love to cruise out that way to help pack a goat off the mountain. Keep me in mind though if you wanna to a late Sept try at your goat.

Might also think about bringing along a bear tag. Brownies are not common in that area ... but they are there. Have a friend who tried to hunt that area for goat - never got up but kept finding bear tracks following his trail in as he was coming out - since he was solo it did make him a bit anxious. He never did see the bear.

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    Might also think about bringing along a bear tag. Brownies are not common in that area ... but they are there.

I believe he would have needed to draw a tag for that area. The very head of the bay and the river is unit 7, right?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Broncoformudv,

How did this hunt turn out for you? Will be taking my wife on this hunt. We both drew this tag. Is there anywhere you can get dropped off by air? Any other info would be appreciated!

Mr. G
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Mr G I ended up not going on this hunt due to to many other obligations during that time. Came down to going goat hunting or going to Kodiak for brown bear I chose Kodiak and don't regret it one bit.

From what I found a plane can land up top but most people attacked it from the bottom and it is very steep. Good luck on your hunt!